Cooled seats not cooling

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Just wanted to add my name to the list. My car exhibits the same behavior everyone else is describing. You can never feel it cooling your back, but after running for a while, it does start to cook your back. I feel like maybe the engineers at Ford just mixed up the two words and decided it would be better to cook your back instead of cool it. Only one different letter. Maybe someone failed English? Who knows. Either way, they need to take care of the problem... Pretty ridiculous for a $40k+ car.
Just so you are aware, posting here doesn't put your name on a list for acknowledgement of the problem, notification of a fix or anything like that. You're just telling us you have it to.

I recommend calling Ford Customer Service or sending Deysha from Ford Customer Service who is very active here a private message. Give them your information and description of the problem. Then take the car to the dealer to have them verify the problem. Then it will be on a list.
Sponsored

USAF

#GTFOsquad_0047
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 1993 GT
I was told from day1....these seats only cool the ass....
Backs are not cooled ...what you feel is the air going up ur back

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
Are you saying that your upset that you have been lied to from day 1? There is a separate cooling element in the back of the seat, and a separate duct for the element. There are parts diagrams in this thread showing it and people have actually removed it to try and modify it and make it work better. See the first post of the thread.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Who ever told you that was uninformed and wrong ... :doh:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I guess that could be correct if this is just an incomplete statement. Maybe what they meant was only the seat bottoms cool, the backs aren't working correctly so when you feel a little cooling on your lower back, it is air coming up from the bottom.

That would be true because when you look at the physical brake down of the seat, there is no way for it to cool the lower back in the lumbar area, the cooling is towards the top center. There were several people that have mentioned their seat backs do cool, they feel the cool air on their lower back. That would be from the seat bottom.

Sponsored

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I just noticed this today. I wasn't sure if the seatbacks were supposed to cool or not since I just got my car on Friday, but it seemed like they should. The bottoms definitely were cooling but I felt nothing on the seatback.

I guess it is time to see my dealer to lodge the complaint.

Otherwise is Class Action time!!!
I like this Class Action comment! :clap2:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I just looked at several ads from my local Ford dealer: "2015-2016 Mustangs with 'heated' seats" (Specifically not mentioning cooling). I complained to the Service Dept about a cold butt and scorched back...their reply was they couldn't do anything about it because they have not received any 'fix' from Ford! They also said if I wanted to get it reported to Ford ...I could bring the convertible in two weeks...and they would get to it either in the morning or PM. So I get to loose at least 1/2 day of wages plus a "Yep, the seat backs are not cooling, but there is nothing we can do about it".
As an aside...Ford is not going to do anything about the A6 NAV SD chip lake mapping error for Minnesota and Wisconsin! The Service Dept got back to me and said that Ford told them that since Mustang is going with Sync 3 and a totally new NAV hardware/software system and since the mapping is ONLY missing for MN and WI...Ford is NOT going to do anything about it. They agreed...you want lake mapping...buy an old A5, but then you are out the 2015 road updates and POIs!

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
So here is my upgraded mod made out of plastic!

I purchased the sheets from amazon for $10.00. I only built the driver's side but it would take both sheets to build two. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBWNUR0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I removed the unit from the seat. In case someone asks the question this post explains how to remove it: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=654492&postcount=299

I actually used the cardboard from the amazon box and built another template. Then I copied all of the bends and measurements over to a sheet of paper. The only piece not shown on the template is a strip of plastic that I left at the bottom to the left of the 1.5" x 1" square. That strip is behind the duct of the second pic. I wrapped two tie wraps around it to secure the duct to the box.

The depth of the box doesn't have to be the same as my measurements if not using a shop vac hose for the duct.

template.jpg

I used a Dremel for all of the cuts and a heat gun for the bends. I probably could have made the bends more precise if I had taken the time to build a jig but it turned out good enough.

I didn't take pictures of each bend. I basically just picked a spot and started shaping the plastic. Heat up one bend at a time if using a heat gun, shape it, hold it for a few seconds and it won't bend back. Repeat until all of the bends are complete. Warming the plastic in the oven would take some more planning ahead of time because the plastic cools quick.

The hole for the duct obviously has to be cut to fit the tube size. I cut it a little small and the shape of the shop vac hose allowed it to stay in place.

Once the box was shaped I sealed the bends with silicone to prevent air from leaking in the cracks on the sides. The entire bottom of the box is open to the fan.

The last step was to drill the two holes for the screws and the slot at the top for the hook. I screwed up and used the Dremel tool for the holes. The screws are extremely tiny so I had to make some washers to hold it in place. It does not move around at all.

final mod.jpg

It definitely improves the seat. I don't feel the seat warming anymore. I can actually feel cool air but it still isn't equal to the bottom. It's still better than what we were given!

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Be sure to address this with your Ford Dealer. Let me know if you’d like for me to escalate this as well.

Deysha
How many more people will have to waste their valuable time taking their faulty cars into the dealership for absolutely nothing before Ford has the data they need to take some useful action? Are we close?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
How many more people will have to waste their valuable time taking their faulty cars into the dealership for absolutely nothing before Ford has the data they need to take some useful action? Are we close?
Probably about 15,000 more owners. :doh:

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Probably about 15,000 more owners. :doh:
Sad but probably true. :(

All it would take is a forward from Ford posted here by FordService that says, "We are aware of the issue and are attempting to remedy it in the near future." or something to that effect.

At this point we are just taking it on faith that they are even AWARE of it. I think FordService here on the site is being honest in what they know. (We are thankful for that.) That the problem exists on the F150 seats is where we are going to see movement. We need to keep a close on on their forums linked in this thread. The "bread and butter" F150 owners are going to push this through, hopefully we can assist. :)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I just registered over at Ford F150 Forum to link us together. Evidently they don't know we have the exact same problem. Strength in numbers and maybe we can get some movement soon.

Either that or Droid Junky needs to patent his design and start selling it. ;)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Adding my name to the list just in case anyone is tracking folks with problems. Had my damn back burned yesterday. It was uncomfortable enough that I had to turn off the seat cooler. Thought it was all in my head until I saw this thread. I may pull apart the seat and disable the back motor to stop the overheating that I'm experiencing.

Aky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ordered
Why not starting an online petition?

Such petition would be open to Ford Mustang, F150, Fusion and other Ford cars that have similar issue. It would not be restricted only to US owners, but would be open also to Europe, Asia, etc. owners.

That way more people would sign such petition, and Ford would have to resolve this issue. :paddle:
Sponsored