Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I looked at it for a few minutes today and discovered something else. Between the back of the seat and a thin fabric layer there is a sheet of plastic. At the top of the plastic there are two rows of holes across the entire top. When I first opened the flap that plastic slid out a ways. At the time I didn't pull it all the way out. I noticed today that when I pushed it all the way up it sits right at the same level as the hot vent. You should be able to feel the holes just above the seat pocket.

0615151623.jpg
So what's this plastic piece for? I don't think it aids in venting any hot air from the Peltier unit as there are not visible perforations in the back of the seat material.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
If you look at my Post #198 I actually did experience them cooling for about 15 minutes. The backs were definitely working for a short time until they couldn't keep up and reject the waste heat off the hot side.

As my other testing showed with the IR thermometer with nobody in the seat, I could never see the backs get cool, but for some reason when I tested it while driving the car with the AC on (bi-level), the backs definitely worked for a short time. Both me and the passenger both felt it for sure. Having the AC on in bi-level must have some kind of effect on the unit in the seat back ... probably provides some cooled air so they start out working at least.

I'm sticking with the theory that the unit in the back just can't reject it's waste heat, and therefore doesn't work and even warms things up back there and turns into a thermal runaway situation.

What the designer needed to do it use a stronger fan, and divert some of it's airflow through the hot side of the Peltier unit and exhaust the waste heat down a duct to underneath the seat. I'm still betting that if the unit can get rid of it's waste heat that it will cool like the bottom cushion unit cools.
So you actually did get some cooling once for the uppers? I'm taking it this was before the heat of the season came in this year. I had the AC set to bi level the whole time today and there was ZERO cooling today and actually a slight warming of both seats. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure the backs have ever cooled period. There was no need for me to use them from November through March in my area. I still may take mine in so they can document it and I may grab my laser thermometer from work to show them it isn't doing anything but WARMING the seat backs. :(

Looking forward at the back of the seat. It will come all the way out.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I came up with an idea. I've cut two plastic Dixie cups and placed one in each map pocket. They are holding the map pocket open and since they are just a thin circular piece of plastic they aren't restricting any flow. I'm going to test it out tomorrow after the car cools off and see if it makes any difference or not. As for now the uppers are completely useless. :(

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Any idea what the plastic is for? Do you think those holes are supposed to be where the heat leaves the seat and maybe the plastic was blocking it?
So what's this plastic piece for? I don't think it aids in venting any hot air from the Peltier unit as there are not visible perforations in the back of the seat material.
My theory is that they are just there to give the map pocket some substance and keep the back seat passenger from kicking the seat back and messing with the internals in the seat. Those holes are below where the unit blows its rejected heat so I don't think they are affecting it any but it may be worth a try to pull it if it comes out easy. :shrug:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So you actually did get some cooling once for the uppers? I'm taking it this was before the heat of the season came in this year. I had the AC set to bi level the whole time today and there was ZERO cooling today and actually a slight warming of both seats.
I did the test while driving the car on Sunday and it was 85 deg F outside. I was actually quite surprised they cooled for a brief time, but was disappointed it didn't last. And I don't think it was just cool air being circulated from the cabin AC. I think the unit was actively cooling for a short time then shut down - probably over heated. If it was only just cool cabin AC air going through the back of the seat, then it would have felt cool for more than just 15 minutes.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
My theory is that they are just there to give the map pocket some substance and keep the back seat passenger from kicking the seat back and messing with the internals in the seat. Those holes are below where the unit blows its rejected heat so I don't think they are affecting it any but it may be worth a try to pull it if it comes out easy. :shrug:
I think that is what they are basically for but when it is pushed all the way up the holes are above the hot vent.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I just got back from the dealer, had them take a look at mine. Where the Service Advisor was a goober again, the Service Technician was very good.

The Service Advisor brought me in the shop to my car and said, "Put your hand right here, you can feel the cool air, it is only this one small spot the air is directed." The funny part was, he had his hand in the WRONG SPOT, obviously just trying to get me out of there. I put my hand there and said I don't feel any air. The Service Technician came over and said, no, it is up here and pointed to the correct spot that was shown in the pictures above.

The Service Technician is keeping my ticket open. He agreed although it is technically working, it isn't efficient. He said he would have the Service Manager contact Ford to find out what can be done. Where you can easily feel the seat bottom cool, I could tell no difference on the seat back.

Of course the Service Advisor threw his stupidity into the mix 1 more time and said it was because they are black leather seats. I asked him what difference it made here in the garage out of the sun and why was the seat bottom cool. Of course he had no intelligent reply.

Now I'm just hoping Ford will do something about the poor design.

I just wish more people would formally make a complaint about this. If enough people say something I truly believe Ford will do something. If not, we will all live with a design that doesn't work. I think part of the problem is people may not realize the seat back is supposed to cool also.

I definitely agree with the assessment above that the separated warm air is trapped there in the seat back warming the air it is also trying to cool. With the seat cooler on high, I put my hand just inside the map pocket on the back of the seat and could feel it was warm from the separated warm air.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I just got back from the dealer, had them take a look at mine. Where the Service Advisor was a goober again, the Service Technician was very good.

The Service Advisor brought me in the shop to my car and said, "Put your hand right here, you can feel the cool air, it is only this one small spot the air is directed." The funny part was, he had his hand in the WRONG SPOT, obviously just trying to get me out of there. I put my hand there and said I don't feel any air. The Service Technician came over and said, no, it is up here and pointed to the correct spot that was shown in the pictures above.

The Service Technician is keeping my ticket open. He agreed although it is technically working, it isn't efficient. He said he would have the Service Manager contact Ford to find out what can be done. Where you can easily feel the seat bottom cool, I could tell no difference on the seat back.

Of course the Service Advisor threw his stupidity into the mix 1 more time and said it was because they are black leather seats. I asked him what difference it made here in the garage out of the sun and why was the seat bottom cool. Of course he had no intelligent reply.

Now I'm just hoping Ford will do something about the poor design.

I just wish more people would formally make a complaint about this. If enough people say something I truly believe Ford will do something. If not, we will all live with a design that doesn't work. I think part of the problem is people may not realize the seat back is supposed to cool also.

I definitely agree with the assessment above that the separated warm air is trapped there in the seat back warming the air it is also trying to cool. With the seat cooler on high, I put my hand just inside the map pocket on the back of the seat and could feel it was warm from the separated warm air.
I will take my car in for service next week and complain about the lack of cooling in the seat back.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Mine are the same way, very little cooling on the bottom and the seat backs get hot in the cool mode...
Please take it in to your dealer and file a complaint. I really believe if Ford doesn't hear anything, they won't do anything and the people on this forum are just a very tiny percentage of the drivers. We need all we can get.

Sponsored

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yesterday I had the lumbar section go very hot with the cooled seats turned on for the second time. It seems like a relay is misbehaving. Bottom cools and the lumbar heats. I can't even. Not eager to go into service yet.

TheGrayRider

Huh...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Black
Please take it in to your dealer and file a complaint. I really believe if Ford doesn't hear anything, they won't do anything and the people on this forum are just a very tiny percentage of the drivers. We need all we can get.
I've already spoken to the customer service person at Ford for this region. Making an app with dealer now.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I had the lumbar section go very hot with the cooled seats turned on for the second time. It seems like a relay is misbehaving. Bottom cools and the lumbar heats. I can't even. Not eager to go into service yet.
That earlier report we got that it was the lumbar region on the back of the seat that was supposed to cool is incorrect. See Post 192 in this thread. That picture is correct. When I went to the dealer, the technician brought up a picture of the inner workings of the seat and was explaining/describing the operation. What Droid_Junky posted and others were saying was very accurate. What they found on mine was they were actually working, you just can't feel any cold air, not even right where it is directed. Down at the lumbar area, it is definitely warm. I think that is because of the heat build-up inside the seat back. On the seat bottom it can vent out of the bottom of the seat.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I will take my car in for service next week and complain about the lack of cooling in the seat back.
Be sure to PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this for you, POOPonYOU. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Don't forget to PM fordservice on here so they can get involved.
Thank you for the mention, Droid_Junky!

I've already spoken to the customer service person at Ford for this region. Making an app with dealer now.
That’s great, TheGrayRider! Be sure to stay in contact with them.

Deysha

WilECoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible Competition Orange
Mine completely stopped working. At dealership now. Will let you know what the result is.
Sponsored