myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
normal day to day I'm not driving it like i stole it, all though if the opportunity comes up i do like to use the go pedal. the more o look the more i like the steeda closed setup. larger top but still enclosed. also going to look at opening the grill ram air area up a bit to see if that messes with IAT's. then will see. our humidity and heat are awful here summer months. but i didn't really feel the power drop off or any changes last year when i bought it so that's my big concern. i am not able to change the outside air but now with a gauge i can see the IAT's normal day to day and see the changes in traffic and while moving.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Did you buy it from them?? How often will you be running your car at the rpms that the 500 hp was made??

flyhalf: You're posting peak numbers that you said not to focus on in your video....
...actually I said +21. That is a delta. The main focus was to see if there was an increasing. And there is.
Also In the video I show the graph showing torque and hp increasing all tge curve. Let me find the graph and I'll post here :)
I'm agree when you say " how many time you use 500whp" . i probably won't buy it for daily either. But if you see the track it might be helpful.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
to be honest? cai by itself even with a tune (i have a JLT) no, worthless... unless you buy it used and pay less than half of the price... then yeah... using a butt dyno you can tell it looks pretty on the engine bay...

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
to be honest? cai by itself even with a tune (i have a JLT) no, worthless... unless you buy it used and pay less than half of the price... then yeah... using a butt dyno you can tell it looks pretty on the engine bay...
Why?

Sponsored

JakobTheGreat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Looking at their prices for intake replacements, definetly not worth it. Basicly it has no performance improvement, but only visual and you get a nice induction note from the engine which is cool, but the way i feel, not worth it.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Looking at their prices for intake replacements, definetly not worth it. Basicly it has no performance improvement, but only visual and you get a nice induction note from the engine which is cool, but the way i feel, not worth it.
Got it
Well for 300$ I gained 21whp vs only tune on my 18 . i think it could make sense :)

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Got it
Well for 300$ I gained 21whp vs only tune on my 18 . i think it could make sense :)
maybe on a custom tune, on the sct canned 93 tune with the jlt intake option is no big deal... i paid like $100 for my intake so i'm ok, if i had to pay +$300 for the intake, no thank you... because is not only the intake, you also need a programmer... so, it's not only $300... it is more like +$600 and i'm more inclined on the tune doing the work than the intake... but, it looks pretty...

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Got it

For someone like you yes I agree with your results because road racing you'll constantly be moving and introducing fresh air to the filter, but in a drag racing scenario you have to remember the cars are sitting in the staging lanes and once the car gets to the light the IAT can be high. For example I made 2 passes last Friday with with the stock air box, first pass I didn't idle the car in the lanes and I watched my IAT until I got to do my pass, it was within 10* of ambient which was 50*. 2nd pass the car idled a lot more in the lanes due to the track having to cleanup a few oil downs and the ambient air temp was 50* but my IAT was 120*, even after my pass was done the IAT was still 20* higher than ambient. A drag car will not spend enough time IMO moving to gain from a open air element over the stock air box like a road course car will, unless you move the filter outside of the engine bay or find a way to isolate it from the heat.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
For someone like you yes I agree with your results because road racing you'll constantly be moving and introducing fresh air to the filter, but in a drag racing scenario you have to remember the cars are sitting in the staging lanes and once the car gets to the light the IAT can be high. For example I made 2 passes last Friday with with the stock air box, first pass I didn't idle the car in the lanes and I watched my IAT until I got to do my pass, it was within 10* of ambient which was 50*. 2nd pass the car idled a lot more in the lanes due to the track having to cleanup a few oil downs and the ambient air temp was 50* but my IAT was 120*, even after my pass was done the IAT was still 20* higher than ambient. A drag car will not spend enough time IMO moving to gain from a open air element over the stock air box like a road course car will, unless you move the filter outside of the engine bay or find a way to isolate it from the heat.
That is a very good point.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
My personal experience with a "CAI" and tune, in the summer, during day in/day out driving cycles (ie..start stop & 30-55 mph speeds) I found the throttle LESS responsive and the lower end of the power spectrum felt weaker. I'm sure there are scenarios where the CAI could make more power and retain driveability but that was not my experience. I put the stock 18 set up back on and was much happier in the SOTP.

There was simply no comparison between the intake temps of the CAI vs the stock. The CAI would get much hotter especially in slower traffic situations and would heat soak rapidly. Im sure if your drive has longer stretches of road and you run the engine much closer to peak rpm, that the CAI may benefit you. But in my daily commute, that wasn't the case and the CAI hurt my performance more than it helped it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the 2017 Mustang GT4 uses the stock airbox, and that engine makes more N/A horsepower then most of us can dream about. I did back 2 back runs at the track. JLT vs Stock (charcoal filter intact, stock air filter). Stock was quicker (same weather, same engine temps). I took the JLT off and gave it to a buddy of mine who had a hard-on for it. Now I'm running the stock airbox w/ K&N drop in filter, + charcoal filter removed. Now during the winter months, I'm doing some blending inside the stock air box lid. Opened the entrance to 4" to match the exit, and some blending. Little more to do yet. Cheers.
c_oc=AQlC0sSuNr-9lxIX-a7nHXow78RPwg0WERpwY48VdNXGF7ewaJAo2QkWzir1HXnk8gU&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
One thing I see wrong in this test is the fan. How does that fan simulate 50 or 130mph across the front of the car. I bet the wind speed before it gets to the front of the car is 25-30 mph. I know you will have heat soak on any car any intake sitting at a stop light but cruising down the road at 55 mph everything under the hood gets cooler especially in the winter months.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I see wrong in this test is the fan. How does that fan simulate 50 or 130mph across the front of the car. I bet the wind speed before it gets to the front of the car is 25-30 mph. I know you will have heat soak on any car any intake sitting at a stop light but cruising down the road at 55 mph everything under the hood gets cooler especially in the winter months.
Agree. The "CAI" can have an advantage. All that is being pointed out is that during real world driving for many of us, if you dont have consistent cool/cold ambient temperatures and you have a modest amounts of stop and go driving, the heat soak is much more difficult to control. Where as the factory air box temps are FAR more stable in all conditions. And again, from an experience standpoint, my low speed throttle response was noticeably slower during these conditions with the CAI.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The front of the car creates a high pressure zone. The compressed molecules of air naturally seek a way out of the high pressure zone in front of the car, and they find it around the sides, top and bottom of the car. The air entering the grill area is substantially slower. while you will get a cooling effect from a aftermarket cai on the highway, you'll get the exact same effect with the stock airbox, and a little cooler in fact because it's an enclosed system. JLT & most other claim 15HP gains w/tune. I bet with the stock airbox + K&N filter + charcoal filter removed you'll gain 7-9 hp. If your tracking, go with the aftermarket CAI. For EVERYTHING else, including drag race, stock is BOSS. Cheers.
Sponsored