Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
The front of the car creates a high pressure zone. The compressed molecules of air naturally seek a way out of the high pressure zone in front of the car, and they find it around the sides, top and bottom of the car. The air entering the grill area is substantially slower. while you will get a cooling effect from a aftermarket cai on the highway, you'll get the exact same effect with the stock airbox, and a little cooler in fact because it's an enclosed system. JLT & most other claim 15HP gains w/tune. I bet with the stock airbox + K&N filter + charcoal filter removed you'll gain 7-9 hp. If your tracking, go with the aftermarket CAI. For EVERYTHING else, including drag race, stock is BOSS. Cheers.
This. 100%

I track the car.
Guys i saw 3mph more speed on the straight in buttonwillow from 128 to 131 (real data) only change was the jlt and his 22whp (dyno tested)

And yes
The fan will never simulate 130mph air.
In fact that ia why opem hood is mpre real.
You push and request energy(and heat generation correlated) to send the car at 150mph+ without giving the 150mph air.
Sponsored

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
so what's the deal with the charcoal filter? i opened my air box and say it inside but doesn't look like it has any effect on the incoming air as it is not placed in front of the air tube?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
so what's the deal with the charcoal filter? i opened my air box and say it inside but doesn't look like it has any effect on the incoming air as it is not placed in front of the air tube?
Mine was angled down towards the intake tube leading towards the engine (some lay flat on the lid). If anything it adds volume & probably allows for smoother airflow.

anybody tried the gold heatshield tape for their CAI box??? or is that just snake oil?
Tried everything. Nothing worked. Well dumping a bunch ice in it worked haha.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
When you buy a cold air intake and the manufacturer of said intake says you will gain 15 or 25 hp with a tune I wonder how much of the gain is from the intake vs the tune?
I have the answer
I did it.
With 96 oct tune
I gained 20-25whp installing JLT.
BECAUSE THE TUNE WILL WORK BETTER. (Of course different calibration)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have the answer
I had to find my old 1320 slips and recheck. Stock airbox was a 10th quicker. EXACT same conditions, back 2 back runs within 15 mins That was with a canned tune, with / without CAI. Nice video by the way, however your hood wasn't completely closed ;) + you have that huge vent. Flores basically did the same, and he lost almost 30hp with the stock hood closed w/ the JLT. Cheers.

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I had to find my old 1320 slips and recheck. Stock airbox was a 10th quicker. EXACT same conditions, back 2 back runs within 15 mins That was with a canned tune, with / without CAI. Nice video by the way, however your hood wasn't completely closed ;) + you have that huge vent. Flores basically did the same, and he lost almost 30hp with the stock hood closed w/ the JLT. Cheers.

It was on a 15 :)
But main issue is heat soaking.
We generate heat and energy to push the car to 155mph without having the flow (for volume and cooling) of 155mph air. So closed hood is not real.
Unless we find a way to have a fan at 160mph :)
I'm working at some better heat barrier.
Plus i need to close the hoodvent over the JLT cause it acts like a siphon pulling air away. Keep you posted
Alex

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Plus i need to close the hoodvent over the JLT cause it acts like a siphon pulling air away. Keep you posted
thanks for the constructive dialog! However I think that hood vent is doing the opposite, not venting, but sucking in, especially on a stationary car :) you can put narrow bands of ribbon along the vent and it will tell you for sure if you do another dyno run.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the constructive dialog! However I think that hood vent is doing the opposite, not venting, but sucking in, especially on a stationary car :) you can put narrow bands of ribbon along the vent and it will tell you for sure if you do another dyno run.
OH YES .For dyno yes. although the heat of the radiator and engine is escaping from the vents that is why (probably but not 100% sure still) I say now that heat soaking is the responsible . the siphon is more for the track usage with real speed..

I really believe now that the lost in power is due to heat because as,like you said, my vents on top should provide a lot of air.
so is all related to heat. and I think the dyno should be always hood ope.that is why car association like NASA or SCCA tests cars with hood open
Thanks for the input!!
Next will be ..E85 test..
or maybe steeda intake.

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
anybody tried the gold heatshield tape for their CAI box??? or is that just snake oil?
I put the gold heatshield tape on the bottoms side of my air box. On my car it was worth about a 5-7 degree drop in temp, and it mainly slows down heat soak while sitting at red lights. Those are my observations.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I put the gold heatshield tape on the bottoms side of my air box. On my car it was worth about a 5-7 degree drop in temp, and it mainly slows down heat soak while sitting at red lights. Those are my observations.
Completely enclosing the JLT box is the most effective. But it's a PITA to do so. Been there, done that. Also you need to wrap the intake tube, as it sits significantly closer to the rad, which also places the MAF closer to the rad as well. Then when it comes time to check/service the air filter, you need to undo everything blah blah.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
i don't mind wrapping the actual intake and the box if that's going to help... it's gonna look like flavor flav

9b33f3006b75fdece2a0195e34632001.jpg

what i hate is the fact that befor the JLT, i had the airaid intake tube with a K&N drop in and stock air box... and basically that was working better than the JLT... i swapped that for the JLT, re-tuned the car and according to butt dyno, no difference on go fast performance and now engine suffers from heatsoak... :crying:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
NASA or SCCA tests cars with hood open
NASA / SCCA simi pro shop.
Hood down, doors off (LOL) and a real Dyno Fan, not some carpet dryer POS.
Yeah the motors in back, the point is using a real fan.

971F2BF0-1AF8-47E7-B19A-6B3CCE8CEA7F.jpeg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
TOTALLY agreed for the fan. I wish all the shop could have it..
But
again..NASA tests with hood open ( in your case doesn't work anyway lol )
I like to think their expertise is superior than mine. :)
Capture.PNG
Sponsored