Clutch Switch Failing

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
The last few days sometimes when I depress the clutch to start the car nothing happens. So far a 2nd or 3rd try works. I read some older threads that said if you depress the clutch and the brake pedal hard it will start. It was time for an oil service so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Bullitts only have ONE clutch switch, at the end of the pedal travel, to be able to start the engine. It's a pretty simple switch, so just take a look at it (and the wiring) to figure what's wrong with it. Another thing that can be wrong is the rubber pad, but it typically fails on cars about 5 years old, so I doubt that's your issue. I still replaced all 3 of them (one is a 'spare', where the other clutch switch used to be), so one for the clutch, and the other for the brake switch. I replaced them with black pads from Toyota, as a preventative measure.

Finally, the clutch switch seems to have an adjustable 'shaft', so it's possible it became loose. If you can, remove the switch, and carefully scrutinize it outside the car. Good luck.

OP
OP
coltgus

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
It worked fine all day so I decided to chalk it up to driver error. The hardest thing to fix is something that isn't broke.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's annoying that you literally have to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the stop, or the switch doesn't engage. I noticed it has adjustment, due to the nature of the (threaded) plunger, but don't know how, and fear messing it up, so will leave it alone. But if somebody annoyed enough and adjusts it, please post so the rest of us can do it with detailed instructions :). I'd adjust it outward probably like 1/2".

I'd also like to adjust the brake switch, since adding the black Toyota rubber pads (instead of the yellowish stock ones that crack and fall off over time), which are slightly thicker, you can brake ultra lightly (as in barely) without triggering the switch. It's not a big deal, since the car doesn't brake at all at that level, but I preferably like to light up the brake lights before the brakes engage at all. When holding the car at a stop light with a very slight inclination, the brake lights might be flickering on and off, as you need very little brake pressure to hold the car. So what I do to prevent that (don't know if it happens, but it could), I just put slightly more pressure on the pedal, and problem solved :).
Sponsored