Clutch Spring

Bflem55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Just wondering if anyone has replaced there clutch spring. I have seen some videos on YouTube of people using the Steeda one. Just wondered if it is worth it and if it is as easy to I stall as it looks. From what some people have said it is suppose to help with some of the rough shifts? Thanks
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Mine is scheduled to arrive today, I got the one with the perch cause I’ve seen videos and reviews online of people saying they broke their perch when they tried to switch out the spring. As soon as I install it I’ll let you know how it is-

OP
OP

Bflem55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Mine is scheduled to arrive today, I got the one with the perch cause I’ve seen videos and reviews online of people saying they broke their perch when they tried to switch out the spring. As soon as I install it I’ll let you know how it is-
Yea I was wondering the same thing ! Thanks keep me posted .

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A lighter spring (like the steeda) helps you feel the clutch engagement point, which helps you learn the engagement point faster.

Its an easy install if you have as set of locking pliers.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
If you're only changing the spring (what I did and it made a big difference in shifting gears) you will need something like this. I did it in the Lowe's parking lot, took 5 minutes.
Vise grip

Sponsored

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
I installed mine pretty easily.

I never had a manual before my current Mustang. The clutch spring is really heavy, so it was tough when I first got the car and I was learning how to drive manual. It pushes back with a lot of force. The aftermarket clutch spring was much lighter; it doesn't push back as much; it made it easier for me to stay on that engagement point and operate the car.

It got way easier for me to avoid stalls after I put in the light spring.
Dunno what the perspective would be from someone with clutch experience, that's just my 2 cents

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My tip was that when putting the spring back in, I used 2 zipties to hold the spring compressed. When I put it into place I just snipped the ties. It was easier than trying to use something else to keep it compressed.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's easy install minus the carpet burn (long sleeves required not optional). However I don't think it's a needed upgrade. I'm tempted to go back to the OEM spring but I don't want that carpet burn again so leave it as is. Overall there is a difference but is not a night and day difference.

Jm28192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I installed mine pretty easily.

I never had a manual before my current Mustang. The clutch spring is really heavy, so it was tough when I first got the car and I was learning how to drive manual. It pushes back with a lot of force. The aftermarket clutch spring was much lighter; it doesn't push back as much; it made it easier for me to stay on that engagement point and operate the car.

It got way easier for me to avoid stalls after I put in the light spring.
Dunno what the perspective would be from someone with clutch experience, that's just my 2 cents
Pretty sure this is the opposite of how the aftermarket spring works, my factory clutch is one of the lightest clutches I've ever owned. The new spring is softer and provides less assistance, firming your clutch up and allowing you to feel the engagement better. That was my experience at least. May be wrong though.

I would think the clutch seeming lighter is simply due to you getting acclimated to working the clutch and getting used to it.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Pretty sure this is the opposite of how the aftermarket spring works, my factory clutch is one of the lightest clutches I've ever owned. The new spring is softer and provides less assistance, firming your clutch up and allowing you to feel the engagement better. That was my experience at least. May be wrong though.

I would think the clutch seeming lighter is simply due to you getting acclimated to working the clutch and getting used to it.
No
The Stock spring is 180 lbs if I remember correctly.
The aftermarket spring is 35 lbs.

Theres a huge difference between them. I was able to somewhat compress the new aftermarket spring with my bare hand. The stock OEM spring is a rigid bitch; I cant even get it to budge.

I was having trouble when I first bought the car. The clutch pedal was so heavy, I was stalling and having trouble holding the pedal where I wanted it. {Granted, I was a newbie} I did some research and found people recommending the aftermarket spring. It was the first mod I bought for the car.

After I put it in it was like a godsend. It had nothing to do with me getting acclimated. I put it in and went for a drive and was so happy. It was a night and day difference, and made it so much easier for me to operate the clutch pedal.

I have a 2018. Maybe Ford has changed things for your 2021? The aftermarket spring was a popular mod for a reason. Perhaps Ford lightened up the spring.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Different experience for me. My stock spring is actually a dual spring assembly. Was simple to remove it by hand without tools. Installed the Steeda spring and took it out within two days. For me it did not improve any aspect of operation and I did not like the feel of it. It was one of the first things I did 4 1/2 years ago, 26,xxx miles now and never once thought about switching back.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
If you're only changing the spring ... you will need something like this...
Vise grip
This is for girl-hands. If you have man-hands you don't need vise grips, just compress the spring with your digits 🀣

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
This is for girl-hands. If you have man-hands you don't need vise grips, just compress the spring with your digits 🀣
I actually tried.. no way, but putting it back in can be done without the vise grip.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I replaced the perch and spring. I didn't find it hard to do at all.
Sponsored