Sponsored

Close call last year

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled

Was wot for like 4 seconds then full braking , once I realized braking wasnt enough I let off the brakes and steered slightly left into the shoulder. audio in the vid is slightly delayed approx 1 sec off not sure why. Hopefully this helps other people avoid this type of close call.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At what speed are you traveling there... because it seems as if you're really moving along and closing gaps very quickly compared to the traffic.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How fast was you going ?
I was WOT for like 3.5-4 seconds after passing the semi. you can hear if you turn the sound on. I do have 770 rwhp though so you gain a lot of speed in 4 seconds lol.. Traffic was at 80 I was obv over that

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I was WOT for like 3.5-4 seconds after passing the semi. you can hear if you turn the sound on. I do have 770 rwhp though so you gain a lot of speed in 4 seconds lol.. Traffic was at 80 I was obv over that
Well - not being an ass or anything, but that explains why the driver who was attempting to get into the fast lane didn't see you all too well - you're flying along faster than he perceived you to be incoming to that lane of travel.

I see it as you were in the wrong - but you'll see it as the other driver was in the wrong.

It only takes less than a second for an event to unfold...

Does everyone "speed" or open it up from time to time - sure... but the point I'm making is - just be careful out there, because 3-4 seconds of having fun on a public highway with traffic can end up real bad, real quick.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see it as you were in the wrong - but you'll see it as the other driver was in the wrong.
Never said I wasnt in the wrong here, but it would have been nice if that driver checked their mirror instead of just starting to move over instantly after putting blinker on. This may be because their car had that blindspot detection sensor and yea I was far back when they started moving over.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
It appears the Nissan Rogue started to drift into the left lane when you passed the white Hyundai which looks like about 10 car lengths distance before you "drifted" out to the shoulder.
Than traffic looks to be going slower than 80

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Speed differential is a major cause of collisions. Especially when the differential is in excess of 20-30mph. Consider that almost all of the drivers on our roads have no more experience than driving on our roads. When they look, if they do, into their side or rear-view mirrors they are not expecting another vehicle coming up from behind doing 100+++ mph. Nor do they have the experience to know what to do, like hold their own position in traffic. WOT runs are safest on a track. Baring that a run on a rural road without traffic may be next, but how does one go about ensuring that there is no traffic between start and finish?

Glad that there was not an incident here. It disgusts me when there are injuries and death caused by bad decision making on our roads. And know that I have been one to do so (make bad decisions fortunately without loss of life, limb, or property). It is great that we all have a chance to own something that is entertaining and also dangerous to drive. And this is where personal responsibility can become even more expensive than insurance and upkeep. The next time that anyone considers a WOT run, dig, or roll on public streets and highways just ask yourself how you will react if one of your loved ones is taken from you or left to you to care for, for the rest of their life because of someone who made bad decisions.

After I finished this I re read it. And I sound like the aging man that I am. More than the momentary thrill that can be had with my car I love my family, and yours, more. I can buy cars all day long but I cannot heal maimed and mangled bodies. Only One can and I hope that he is watching over you.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Speed differential is a major cause of collisions. Especially when the differential is in excess of 20-30mph. Consider that almost all of the drivers on our roads have no more experience than driving on our roads. When they look, if they do, into their side or rear-view mirrors they are not expecting another vehicle coming up from behind doing 100+++ mph. Nor do they have the experience to know what to do, like hold their own position in traffic. WOT runs are safest on a track. Baring that a run on a rural road without traffic may be next, but how does one go about ensuring that there is no traffic between start and finish?

Glad that there was not an incident here. It disgusts me when there are injuries and death caused by bad decision making on our roads. And know that I have been one to do so (make bad decisions fortunately without loss of life, limb, or property). It is great that we all have a chance to own something that is entertaining and also dangerous to drive. And this is where personal responsibility can become even more expensive than insurance and upkeep. The next time that anyone considers a WOT run, dig, or roll on public streets and highways just ask yourself how you will react if one of your loved ones is taken from you or left to you to care for, for the rest of their life because of someone who made bad decisions.

After I finished this I re read it. And I sound like the aging man that I am. More than the momentary thrill that can be had with my car I love my family, and yours, more. I can buy cars all day long but I cannot heal maimed and mangled bodies. Only One can and I hope that he is watching over you.

I'm not against mashing the gas ever now and then, but only on a clear road. I never would blast around traffic like that.

Back in the summer here an idiot on a crotch rocket had to be going 175 as he went blasting past me on 485 loop ..

I was in the center lane [3 lanes] and never saw that guy coming as I was fixing to move over to pass a slow car in the middle lane.

Which is another bane around here, speed limit is 70 and people drive 10 under in the left lane.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
The inexperienced driver see s a car way back and thinks they have time/space not factoring in the speed of the oncoming vehicle. glad nothing happened.
I never pull out into the fast lane when seeing a car unless I factor in their speed. Captain Obvious , LOL

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The inexperienced driver see s a car way back and thinks they have time/space not factoring in the speed of the oncoming vehicle. glad nothing happened.
I never pull out into the fast lane when seeing a car unless I factor in their speed. Captain Obvious , LOL
I bet this driver wont do that again either , on the autobahn thats basic necessity but yea we do unfortunately have speed limits in america

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I never take that chance of a high speed jaunt with Karen's in the next lane over. Especially piled up in line like that..... Many people just glance in the side mirror and refuse to judge oncoming vehicles speed.

Be safer than this. You can do it.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Sheesh that is a bit scary to watch. I only ever let the car go some when I have a clear line of sight with no cars coming either way. I do this only on back road 2 lanes mind you never as fast as this either. To the OP yeah find a place with less going on if you want to wring it out some.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Racetrack. That's the only place that you should be going that fast, period.

When I was growing up (see Paul M's post above) things were different. Cars were a lot slower and less powerful, and traffic was much, much lighter. And no one had cell phones. I remember once seeing "what my car can do" on the Interstate, around midnight. Zero cars, nothing, in either direction, for miles. In hindsight, I could have hit a deer or lost a wheel and gone off and they wouldn't have found me for days... but I survived. Try that today, even at 3 AM around here there's plenty of traffic. And in a 460 HP car that can do 150 (I'm guessing).

Take it to the track kids.
Sponsored