Clicking from driver's rear wheel when cornering

J. Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / Track Pack
I have noticed a clicking that occurs when I am taking a right turn. The noise appears to be coming from the driver's side rear tire and is wheel-speed dependent. When I originally noticed it, I figured I had a pebble wedged in the tread somewhere. Now, after a few hundred miles, it is still there yet only noticeable during cornering. I don't hear it when the car is going straight. Could this be the the hub thrust washer I've been reading about? The symptoms seem slightly different than the experiences others have shared. Any insight would be appreciated.
- John
Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sounds like the hub. Would check the axle nut torque first, and if that is good then it’s the hub…

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Completely take your wheels off, then put them back on and torque to 150lb/ft.

I've had that issue a couple of times over the past 5 years and doing this procedure always fixed it for me. If it still clicks after doing that, then it could be the hub. I'd start with the easy/cheap/free fix first and simply try remounting the wheels. Just be sure to take the wheel completely off. If I just loosen and re-tighten, the clicks kept coming back.

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
Also went with the cheap fix, removed wheel, cleaned interior of wheel center (important), and then I personally torqued it back at 200N (150lf/ft).
No issue anymore - worked on all 4 wheels by the way.

OP
OP
J. Kidd

J. Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Very cool! Thanks for the responses, you guys. Cheap, easy fix is what I'll try.

OP
OP
J. Kidd

J. Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to circle back on this:

It worked. Removed the wheel, cleaned the interior of the wheel (where it meets the hub), cleaned the hub lip and put the wheel back on torquing the lug nuts to 150 ft-lbs.

I don't know how or why this worked, but it did - no more clicking.

Thanks to all who responded!

-John
Sponsored