Sponsored

CHT Tune Comparison

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hey guys,

Not able to figure something out so trying to get some help on here.
I have an ESS G2 unit with the G3 intercooler and have 3 93 tunes from 3 of the big tuners.

I'm doing back to back comparisons of 2 of the tunes (car exactly the same, logs taken back to back on the same roads and same ambient temps) and one tune consistently runs about 8 - 10F hotter than the other whether idling, freeway cruising, or post WOT.

Ambient temp when both logs were taken was about 100F.

CHT values (ECT values are all tracking about -10F compared to CHT values):
Seeing 205 idling, 208 cruising @ 80, and 215 post 60-110 WOT on the cooler tune.
Seeing 212 idling, 216 cruising @ 80, and 226 post 60-110 WOT on the hotter tune.

Is anyone able to tell from the logs or general experience what's causing one of the tunes to run hotter?

Appreciate any help

Cooler Tune Google Drive (.hpl)

Hotter Tune Google Drive (.hpl)
Sponsored

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
I can't look at the tunes at work , but do the fans come on same time with each tune?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The logged parameters, such as lambda and spark timing, look pretty close. Looks to me like maybe 5 deg difference between the two, could be cooling fan settings. FWIW if you have the Reische thermostat and appropriate fan settings you can keep ECT around 185 all the time.

OP
OP

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I can't look at the tunes at work , but do the fans come on same time with each tune?
Not sure but the tuner with the hotter running tune told me yesterday they already come on earlier than stock setting

The logged parameters, such as lambda and spark timing, look pretty close. Looks to me like maybe 5 deg difference between the two, could be cooling fan settings. FWIW if you have the Reische thermostat and appropriate fan settings you can keep ECT around 185 all the time.
Thanks Mike. I'm on the stock thermostat but have a Reische 170 going in today so I'll see how that works out.
Am I correct that the radiator fans only come on while idling and at speeds < 40mph?
If so when I'm driving at 80mph on the freeway the fans should be off as there's enough airflow from the vehicle speed. In that case why is one still running hotter than the other?

Can you post the actual tunes? Can't tell much about them from just the logs.
I believe the big tuners lock their tunes so you won't be able to do anything with it. Thanks though

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The fan control is a function of coolant temp and ambient temp, and totally controllable in the tune. I made several iterations on mine to balance temp control and noise. I start ramping them up at 180 and full on at 185 iirc. When I tried full on at temps lower than 185 it would be too noisy when idling and such.

OP
OP

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The fan control is a function of coolant temp and ambient temp, and totally controllable in the tune. I made several iterations on mine to balance temp control and noise. I start ramping them up at 180 and full on at 185 iirc. When I tried full on at temps lower than 185 it would be too noisy when idling and such.
You should start a tuning business if you haven't already.....thoughtfultunes.com 😅

I see, so even at freeway speeds the fans can be on?
I always thought vehicle speed was factored into fan control so good to be corrected on that

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Were you driving with AC on or off during these tests?

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
On all the time otherwise I'd have baked in my car in this heat
The reason I'm asking is because, except for open road highway cruising where there is sufficient airflow, I can accomplish very similar result just by turning AC on and off. I've got roush SC with stock t-stat and roush phase 2 tune, but I also went all-in with racelouvers hood vents, which helps with heat extraction tremendously.

On my car, once AC fan kicks in, it provides sufficient airflow to keep CHT temps under control even in bad stop-and-go traffic. If I turn it off, temps jumps up 10F almost immediately and until fans are on to cool it back down.

OP
OP

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The reason I'm asking is because, except for open road highway cruising where there is sufficient airflow, I can accomplish very similar result just by turning AC on and off. I've got roush SC with stock t-stat and roush phase 2 tune, but I also went all-in with racelouvers hood vents, which helps with heat extraction tremendously.

On my car, once AC fan kicks in, it provides sufficient airflow to keep CHT temps under control even in bad stop-and-go traffic. If I turn it off, temps jumps up 10F almost immediately and until fans are on to cool it back down.
Yeap, I've read about the condenser fan assisting with cooling.
It's not really the absolute temps I'm worried about though. Just wondering why one is running hotter than the other in similar conditions and based on feedback must be from different fan control settings across the tunes.
Sponsored