Whipple 2.9L CHT 225F IAT 160F in traffic

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I am seeing peak 225F CHT and 160F IAT with upgraded IC pump sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day with AC on. :eyebulge:

When I get moving to 50mph for 4 miles with low load I drop down to 215F CHT and 130F IAT.

Base GT radiator.:doh:
Whipple kit thermostat.:frusty:

Anyone have same or similar experience?

It is March 16th and I expect 100+ degree summer here in Austin.

I have on hand a GT350/PP radiator, Riesche 170F high flow tstat, a spare bumper with stock grill inserts for experimental cutting and brake duct mods.
Thinking about ordering a fiberglass hood with large extractor section or buying a spare hood to cut up. Also looking at cutting up stock airbox to close off the IC fan wash that is driving into the stock Whipple airbox (anyone else know what I am talking about or did they change the Whipple airbox?).

Please post up your OUTSIDE TEMP, CHT and IAT experiences in traffic.
Also, if you actually logged or noted conditions and made a change that REALLY made a difference then share. Please no speculative stuff like "I got drunk and gutted bumper with a machete/dremel/grinder/hatchet/dentist drill/blender/blow torch/toothpick/nailclippers and hopefully everything is mo beta".
Sponsored

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
My peak is 225 and my IAT are definitely lower than that. I am not sure what's the highest they've gone though. As soon as I start driving it immediately goes down. It also will go down when it hits that peak. I've seen 227 a couple times but I am fairly certain this is quite normal. I am in Louisiana and it was 85 today, I used the AC as well. I definitely think switching to the 170 T-Stat is a good idea, I have that in mine.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Doesn't the Whipple tune read the IATs pre blower? My IATs are read after the blower since I don't have the whipple tune. In traffic on a 90 degree day the highest that I have seen was 116 IAT and CHT was 190. Even on the dyno with the dyno bay at 93 degrees my IATs were at 116 at the beginning of the pull and 104 to 108 at 7800 rpms. I would definitely get a Reische tstat though. However, cruising around my IATs are around 100 degrees right now in Tampa.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Luther I wonder if your seeing cooler temps because you have a PP radiator?

I have a PP and hope to be hitting the streets within a week (8-12" snow projected Sunday into Monday [emoji37]) but the temperatures here in MA do not compare to yours to give much insight on my end.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Sounds normal to me, swap the Tstat and it will drop abit.

Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Wow that is scary. I'm about to install a Whipple and here in Vegas our summers are 110+ degrees.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
CHT is cylinder head temp, this is not the same as coolant temp. Although they don't have a coolant temp sensor, they model for it and its typically 30deg F cooler than the CHT. The CHT will always be higher than the coolant temp.

IAT is pre SC, in the stock location in the MAF sensor.

IAT2 is in the manifold, post SC.

225 CHT is normal, 160 F ambient is not normal.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Wow that is scary. I'm about to install a Whipple and here in Vegas our summers are 110+ degrees.
All kits now feature a plastic MAF, plastic air box that is enclosed (better sealing) and plastic air tube. All helps reduce heat.

It really doesn't matter what supercharger you have, you will get hotter inlet temp (pre SC) on a hot day, black pavement, etc.

The intercooler system effectiveness is far greater when ambient temp is higher so you won't see those temps post SC.

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Why doesent the iat show post supercharger? Wouldnt that be more accurate?

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Why doesent the iat show post supercharger? Wouldnt that be more accurate?

Because the cluster PCM is calibrated to show iat1. To make it show iat2 it would have to be reconfigured/reflashed. Unless you used iat1 as iat2 but then you wouldn't have temp differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I have a feeling that OP is seeing IAT1. When I was only able to see IAT1, it would get really hot but then drop very fast once my car was moving. Then it would show around 4 degrees above the outside temps. Then, when I switched from a local tune to Lund's, I had to order the VMP IAT harness below so that Lund could see IAT2. Now, I see IAT2 on my dash and ngauge. It is much more consistent and never as high as what the OP's is. Now,if the OP doesn't have fans, I would get some, they help a lot when stuck in traffic.

For CHTs buy a Reische.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-mustang-v8-gt/2015-ford-mustang-gt/supercharger-upgrades/whipple/vmp-2015-2016-mustang-gt-5-0l-iat-harness-and-brass-air-temp-sensor-for-pd-blowers.html

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
If I get the harness, would it work with a whipple tune or does it interfere with anything? I would want it to only be able yo see it in the dash , I dont have the ngauge

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
If I get the harness, would it work with a whipple tune or does it interfere with anything? I would want it to only be able yo see it in the dash , I dont have the ngauge
My understanding is the harness will not work with the Whipple calibration. Whipple cal uses the stock AIT 1 location to calculate the difference between it and the added AIT 2 post compressor location. The harness as I understand would not allow the AIT 1 at the MAF to be read by the PCM anymore.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
My understanding is the harness will not work with the Whipple calibration. Whipple cal uses the stock AIT 1 location to calculate the difference between it and the added AIT 2 post compressor location. The harness as I understand would not allow the AIT 1 at the MAF to be read by the PCM anymore.

Iat1 stays as is which is what the cluster shows. We add iat2 and a harness that connects to the imrc wiring and that reads to the PCM. Unfortunately we don't reflash the cluster so it does not read iat2. Iat2 will never be that hot.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I was just gonna say after I installed mine this weekend the IAT2 sensor is post compressor and plugs into the IMRC! Win for Whipple

Sponsored