svassh

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
At risk of enraging some of you farther, my original post was tongue in cheek people.

Liking more than one auto manufacturer doesn't make you a bad person of course neither does liking just one if you want to limit yourself.
Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
But Chevy has been around for a long time and so has Ferrari, etc. - Ford's FPC V8 was released just a few years ago and now Chevy is releasing one.

Of course Chevy will say they aren't copying Ford just like they did with the Camaro/Mustang. But IMO it should be obvious. It's just too coincidental.
GARBAGE MOTORS has copied Ford in many ways. FORD had the ranchero ,then Garbage Motors did the .......:crackup::cwl:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I read or saw a video that Ford actually spent time making the GT350 sound more mustang like, and one of the results was not using equal length exhaust tubes.

I think i would have preferred they make it sound as flat planny as possible.
I could not agree more. Though the Voodoo sounds great, it does not sound like a flat crank engine. The high pitched wail that usually accompanies a flat crank is so intoxicating. I do recall in Car and Driver’s first article on the Shelby where they state that Ford did this intentionally to give the car a power spread befitting g a Mustang and due to the change in firing order compared to a a Ferrari and the difference in exhaust and having a single intake vs. a dual plenum.
While true that header length and exhaust design are important in the sound, the high wail you associate with a Ferrari race engine is very much also in the firing order of the pistons. Hameedi himself said that they weren't able to do a Ferrari firing order (UDDU) because of packaging issues in the engine bay. The UDDU order would require two independent intake tracts - two manifolds, two throttle bodies, etc. We can presume cost would also jump. That being said, I love to day dream about a custom crank, cam, and manifold to convert the Voodoo into a UDDU order instead of UDUD.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has followed GM with plenty of things, so I'm not one to throw stones in this discussion. I just hope for their sake that GM has potential vibration issues solved with their FPC, since it is such a large displacement engine. Ford had to do a lot of work to make the 5.2 smooth. Generally, FPC engines are smaller.

I wonder if anyone has intentionally made changes to their GT350 to have a more Ferrari-like sound? Even if it's just the exhaust. I think that could be amazing.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Aside from FPC being around for decades - do you really think that would be sound engineering reason to put FPC engine in a car ? Because "Ford did it" ? Spend about 5 seconds thinking about it and you'll know how ridiculous this claim is.
Really, after all these decades Chevy does right after Ford did, and you think it’s unrelated?

Spend about 5 seconds thinking about it and you’ll know how ridiculous this claim is.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The reception the Voodoo received did not go unnoticed. I would have never imagined Chevy potentially getting into the FPC game, those madlads.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Chevy's approach to the FPC is what's "copying" Ford. They are taking a page out of the Voodoo's playbook by making their FPC sound more American.

While the Chevy FPC will steal the largest naturally aspirated FPC V8 crown, the Voodoo is still the most unique FPC V8 and is backed by a manual.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I was told they are class limited to 500 HP. Seems like a waste of engineering and cost to develop this for a 5.5L 500 HP motor. They could accomplish that with any recent, push rod, small block Chevy. I guess they have their reasons.

OP
OP
svassh

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I was told they are class limited to 500 HP. Seems like a waste of engineering and cost to develop this for a 5.5L 500 HP motor. They could accomplish that with any recent, push rod, small block Chevy. I guess they have their reasons.
I also read an earlier rumor article that the C8 Z06 would have a FPC. It looks like this is racing and testing of the engine for the eventual Z06.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Really, after all these decades Chevy does right after Ford did, and you think it’s unrelated?
Have you ever been involved in designing anything for a real world ? Just curious...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Have you ever been involved in designing anything for a real world ? Just curious...
Almost all of us have designed things for the real world, and like Chevy we are all impacted by what we see around us. Deciding on a siding for your house? What you have seen on your neighbors' houses and on TV will impact your design. None of us make decisions in a vacuum.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes, design engineer, 35 years. Mobile equipment for the last 31.

Let's look at the facts, none of the big three made a flat plane crank V-8 until 2015, when Ford did it. Ford's version receives great acclaim as giving the GT350 "soul" and the car beats every Camaro in head to head tests ( the desirability part, not necessarily the actual performance numbers) despite the Camaro having in some cases 100 more HP.

5 years later, in line with development time of, "hey why didn't we think of that", when they got wind of the GT350 Chevy debut's a DOHC FPC V-8. And on top, in an effort to one up the previous largest displacement FPC V-8, Chevy adds .3 liters.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think many astronauts would take offense to that statement.
Pretty funny comment, but if an astronaut doesn't have a pressure suit on they won't be making decisions for long.