Sponsored

GT350 Vs. Chevy Camaro SS

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I would not purchase a Camaro because I am not a fan of the styling but I do respect what Chevy has developed, it is a very competitive vehicle and a good performance value.

Stock vs. stock, it looks like the SS will outperform a similar GT, I think competition is good and it keeps Ford pushing to improve. Without the Camaro, we may not see the performance advancement of the Mustang.

As mentioned, minor mods will keep the Mustang right there with the SS in performance and I like the Mustang better overall. Part of the fun is modding the car to make it like you want it.

Competition is good, look how slowly the Mustang evolved when the Camaro and Challenger weren't around.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The proportions on the mustang are so much better. the side view of the Camaro is a real turn off. The high door line and low roofline work in most cars but just don't fit like the 5th gen did. Plus the hood looks too tall. Again not a chevy guy but the only thing appealing about it is the 200 lbs weight loss. The rest is just not my cup of tea.

Sponsored

slopper

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
svt
The proportions on the mustang are so much better. the side view of the Camaro is a real turn off. The high door line and low roofline work in most cars but just don't fit like the 5th gen did. Plus the hood looks too tall. Again not a chevy guy but the only thing appealing about it is the 200 lbs weight loss. The rest is just not my cup of tea.
You are right, there is something a little off or over done about the side profile of the Camaro. Looks like visibility would be an issue also.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
We will have to agree to disagree. I would be happy with a non PP Mustang GT on the track. When I was there I was fine. The car was plenty fast, didn't have any braking problems, plenty of power, great handling. In my novice hands, it passed lots of cars that might show in a magazine test as being a few seconds faster around the track.
What so many people seem to forget is driver > car. A fast driver in a slower car will lap a slower driver in a faster car 90% of the time.

Ex: Randy Pobst. I would bet real money his lap times at Laguna Seca in "base model" cars is faster than most/all magazine/blog reviewers in the "sport" or "track" versions of the same car.

slopper

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
svt
What so many people seem to forget is driver > car. A fast driver in a slower car will lap a slower driver in a faster car 90% of the time.

Ex: Randy Pobst. I would bet real money his lap times at Laguna Seca in "base model" cars is faster than most/all magazine/blog reviewers in the "sport" or "track" versions of the same car.
Exactly, give the guy who won the green jacket last year at Augusta your grandfathers golf clubs from the 1950s and he'll clean your clock on any course you choose with them. Always amazes me how guys who can't drive for sheet scramble to throw $500 on a "CAI" when the driver mod would give them 15 times as much.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Exactly, give the guy who won the green jacket last year at Augusta your grandfathers golf clubs from the 1950s and he'll clean your clock on any course you choose with them. Always amazes me how guys who can't drive for sheet scramble to throw $500 on a "CAI" when the driver mod would give them 15 times as much.
Holy crap, we agree on something! :headbang:

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I agree, the driver end of things rarely gets talked about in performance.
I have a good friend who has an M-4 with another 15K spent in mods.
over 475RWHP, plus suspension upgrades, wheels and tires to match.
on a straight he would pull me like crazy, in the corners I would pass him.
He said I am crazy, I told him his car should be even faster in the turns.
Point is, he never had any fast cars or track experience.
I politely told him, your next mod, should be a driving school.
Teach you how to use that power. Nothing improves you better than experience
on a track. Time learning can be the biggest, useful mod most can get.

Or you can spend gobs of money to hopefully keep up LOL.

Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
My Grandfather's clubs are from the 1920's and made from Hickory. ;)
But I agree. My first mod is for me to physically lose some weight while I continue my quest to become a better driver! :cheers:

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I don't care which car is .1 seconds better in whatever category; no matter, what car you buy from any brand, there will always be something faster or "better" coming out soon. That's the glory of competition. You'll never be happy if "what's best" is the only thing you think of. And if you think Ford -- quite literally the biggest and most legit car company on the planet (let's not forget who didn't need to take a government buyout) -- is overpricing the value of their vehicles performance-wise, then you are out of your mind. Also, the Camaro feels like a big plastic toy, while the GT350 feels and looks like a real car.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
And if you think Ford -- quite literally the biggest and most legit car company on the planet (let's not forget who didn't need to take a government buyout) -- .
Forbes lists Ford as #7 in The Largest Auto Companies In The World 2015 ;)

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So R&T picks the R as the car of the year and the current motor trend says the 16 SS Camaro is the Best Pony Car ever made. They had a bunch of accolades for the Camaro.
Sponsored