Sponsored

Check your valve cover bolts

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just checked my 17 GT. Yup, valve cover bolts missing as well. No leaks yet and I'll do the fix myself if needed. So the TSB reads to me like all valve covers are missing a quantity of bolts but only "some" vehicles may have an oil leak from the covers which the TSB will fix under warranty. Sure seems like they tried to save a few bucks again; sort of like the engines away back they decided to only machine 3 threads into the cylinder head for spark plug threads.
Are your valve covers missing 4 or 5 bolts? My 2015 is missing 4 bolts per cover. The TSB shows 5 missing per cover.
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
So I checked further for the 5th bolt missing and found on each cover the rear center bolts missing, not shown in the tsb picture by arrows, whereas the front of both covers {sensor end}, the center bolts are installed. Maybe their tsb picture is wrong? Anyways, I'd need 10 bolts to do mine.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
reading is fundamental

edit: aww the post i was replying to was deleted
Always, always, always quote the post you're responding to. If for no other reason than if someone posts "Mustangs are awesome" and you post "I couldn't agree more" and they change their post to "I can't stop thinking about how hot Rue Mcallahan was in Golden Girls".

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I checked further for the 5th bolt missing and found on each cover the rear center bolts missing, not shown in the tsb picture by arrows, whereas the front of both covers {sensor end}, the center bolts are installed. Maybe their tsb picture is wrong? Anyways, I'd need 10 bolts to do mine.
I just looked at mine again, and it's the middle bolt at the rear end of the valve cover that's missing, not the middle bolt at the front like the TSB figure shows. So yeah, the TSB figure is wrong.

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Just discovered this. My 17GT only has 24k on it, and unjust started noticing the oil smell. ALL of my bolts were loose, and I'm missing them on the back and sides. 8 to 10 total missing. I got my can 9/17, so it seems that my 5yr power train warranty is up. Anyone had any success getting the dealer to take care of this TSB anyway?

EDIT: called the dealer and they told me I was out of luck on getting it covered. They are putting together a quote for me. I may just do it all myself, but looking at those rear bolts, they are going to be a PAIN to get to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
You may want to do yourself anyway, along with loosening and tightening the spark plugs. I'm told not to wait to 100k miles when the plugs should be replaced (IIRC), or they may be stuck real good...

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Yeah, I found the aluminum GT500 covers for about $270 from several places that has all the holes pre-done, better baffling, and better heat disappation. For now, I've tightened it up and we'll see how it fairs, but I plan on getting those as the next step later this year.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I started noticing some drips under my 2017 GT recently. Looked underneath and verified it wasn't the drain plug or oil filter. I never noticed any burning smell or smoke.
I took it to Ford today and they did an "engine diagnostic" and verified it's the valve covers. I never looked to count how many bolts I'm missing, or tried to re-tighten them.

They're also going to do the backup camera recall, which has started to fail intermittently, at the same time.
And while they're at it, maybe fix the side mirrors which do the click of death when I recall memory.

On the positive side, this happened with 8 months left on my (FordProtect) extended warranty instead of after it expired.

Also, I've got the Ford Racing Power Pack 2, which they never mentioned as a warranty issue, which is exactly as it should be, but it's nice to know.

Hopefully they can do a good job on everything and not cause too much collateral damage.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Good info in here. 2017 GT, 34k miles, no warranty. The past few months I would see light smoke coming from hood vent at stops. I thought it was just condensation or something... It started to be more visible and coming out from side of hood/windshield cowl on drivers side, and would have this kind of burnt smell when I would get smell the area, or turn the heat on.

Was able to pop the hood when it was smoking and it looked like it was coming near dip stick area, but couldn't identify where exactly... did some research on this forum and found seems to be common.

Bought some extensions and wobble joints, and sure enough, the driver side bolts both top and bottom closes to firewall were pretty much backed all the way out... Tightened them up, and also snugged down every bolt I could get to on both driver and passenger side... So far I haven't noticed the smoke returning or burning smell so far. I guess this is only temporarily, so will probably get the aluminum GT500 valve covers in the future.

not my video, but was very helpful of showing how to get to the valve cover bolts and what he used to get to them.

Kbrazile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It seems like there isn’t much information available for a 2020+ Mustang; it may be the same as the 2018+ model. I had oil dripping onto my headers under WOT. Finally, I found that it was coming from the valve cover, and the bolts were loose (only on the driver's side). I tightened them up but managed to snap one; apparently, 85 inch-pounds is not a lot. I learned my lesson about working on it while the motor was warm. After a couple of trips to the hardware store, I managed to get it out. I ordered a new bolt, but the permanent washer/outer part was thinner than the one that came out previously, causing the bolt assembly not to fit snugly into the valve cover plastic. No big deal when tight, but if it loosens, I expect it to fall right out. I'm assuming there is a different part number than the one in the first photo for 2020 valve cover bolts.

Lastly, my driver valve cover only has 9 available holes to seal it, while the passenger side has 10. There was no open in the back of the motor for a 10th like the passenger side. I couldn’t find anywhere online that matches valve covers. Am I crazy?

IMG_7954.jpeg

IMG_7948.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I had a weep on the drivers side cam cover. Tightened two bolts that were a bit loose and checked all of the others. Then decided that it was time to just go ahead and order the GT 500 cam covers and be done with this. Seems that it solves the leaking and the sucking oil through the breather system. I have not paid attention to your YM, does it have aluminum or plastic covers?

Kbrazile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I had a weep on the drivers side cam cover. Tightened two bolts that were a bit loose and checked all of the others. Then decided that it was time to just go ahead and order the GT 500 cam covers and be done with this. Seems that it solves the leaking and the sucking oil through the breather system. I have not paid attention to your YM, does it have aluminum or plastic covers?
Plastic. Not even sure if the GT500 valve covers would fit.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm @KingKona should chime in here with his tale of oil spoooge woe. Likewise his bolts were all kinds of loose.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
GT500 valve covers do not fit Gen3 Coyotes
Sponsored