Sponsored

Check your valve cover bolts

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I might have a leak also, I can smell some oil as I pull up to my driveway slowly...time to check it out.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Last weekend I took a trip to Tail of the Dragon. What a wonderful and great trip it was, especially in my new 5.0! At least until day 3 of the trip when I started the car in the morning to warm it up and was met with smoke from under the hood and the strong odor of burning oil.
At first, I could not figure out what the cause of this was. I checked my oil, it was about 1 to 1.5 quarts low. Topped it off and went on my way after she stopped smoking. Next morning, same issue. I get the car up on jack stands, crawl under and am met with a decent amount of oil coming down the side of the bell housing and also running down the exhaust and dripping off the header on bank 2.
I spent the next couple minutes trying to pinpoint where this oil was coming from. It seemed like it was coming from the corner of the valve cover so I went top side to check the bolts and sure enough the bolt on the corner closest to the firewall was completely loose. Of course there was no room for tools in this area of the engine so I spend the next 15 minutes making slow progress by tightening the bolt with a small wrench. After getting the bolt all tight and cleaning the oil, my problem went away.

I took the car to the dealership this morning to document my issue and have a tech check over everything. He confirmed it was no longer leaking oil but they did order me a new valve cover gasket.

Anybody know the socket size and if you have to remove the coil covers to get to them?

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Of all the bolts on my valve covers on 2 were snug, the rest all took a half to full turn to reach proper torque. The snug ones only took ~1/4 turn...

Check your valve cover bolts!

Anybody know the socket size and if you have to remove the coil covers to get to them?
10mm & no the coil covers can stay in place. However, it's easier to just snap the covers off and get a bit more room for your arm.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
If you're under 5yr/60K please take it to the dealership.

Ford needs to know about as many cases as possible. If the number is high enough, that's when extended coverage happens and OOW recalls are possible...

I'm just hoping the passenger side doesn't decided to follow suit at 70K.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I just checked from up top and couldn't see a thing so I called my local dealer and reported smelling burning oil.
Their first question was - when was the oil last changed?
My answer - last week
Next question - where was it changed?
My answer - my garage
Next question - you did it yourself?
My answer - yes (as I thought, you know I've been changing oil on fords for almost 40 years now)

Am I being paranoid about this line of questioning?
Anyway, I have an appointment for next Tuesday...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just checked from up top and couldn't see a thing so I called my local dealer and reported smelling burning oil.
Their first question was - when was the oil last changed?
My answer - last week
Next question - where was it changed?
My answer - my garage
Next question - you did it yourself?
My answer - yes (as I thought, you know I've been changing oil on fords for almost 40 years now)

Anyway, I have an appointment for next Tuesday...
They probably think someone spilled some oil when doing an oil change.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
If it's the valve cover gasket the oil should be dipping & flowing down the pipe.

If you idle it cold, there should be enough to hit the ground before burning off (and making the smoke/smell).

If it's on the driver side, the only oil change related component is the filter... and it'd be very obvious if that's installed wrong.

Yes. There is nothing about performing your own maintenance that voids an unrelated issue covered by warranty.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Makes sense, pretty sure I didn't spill any on the car at all, just some on the garage floor...that filter removal is messy for sure.
There is no evidence of new drips on the floor since change.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yup, that's exactly what I did. That's why I don't think I caused the burning oil smell. But I think I'll get it up on the ramps again and have a look from underneath.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Lol I've gone over that before...

If you just crack the filter and let it drain against itself, it will clear every part of the frame. The edge of the filter is the lowest point. No foil required & no mess.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
So I got up on the ramps again and found no evidence of a leak. Guess I'll cancel my appt...

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Lol I've gone over that before...

If you just crack the filter and let it drain against itself, it will clear every part of the frame. The edge of the filter is the lowest point. No foil required & no mess.
...Bingo. :thumbsup:

sstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J1955
Took mine in this morning...

Seems to be the same, my trail down the driver side exhaust looked almost identical to Tim's, but not nearly as severe...

I wonder if it was a hot/cold cycle issue.
Just looked up this thread today after I noted puffs of oil-smelling smoke after coming to a stop on the freeway. Absolutely thought it was related to hot/cold cycle... did anyone at the dealer say anything about that?
Sponsored