Changing the springs only?

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah I know another suspension thread. :) I have been reading everything I can find. This is my first post other than my intro and my first Mustang. I am looking for a bit more sophisticated/sporty suspension with a reasonably compliant ride. I figure the Mustang GT was a good platform to build a fun summertime highway commuter/cruiser and I wanted a V8. As I read all of the posts about suspension upgrades I started wondering if my plan to just change the springs (Steeda progressives) is a good one or not. I have a lift and do all my own work so I suppose all I have to lose is half a day. I certainly want to lower the car as there is a lot of space especially with the stock 18 inch wheels. I do plan to make the 18s my winter wheels for rare outings and get 19s with 255/40 tires. I'm just wondering what the consensus is....should I just get some better shocks/struts right off the bat?
Sponsored

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
I did the Steeda Min Drop springs on the original PP1 Struts and it's not caused any issues. I think most people do the same. At some point I would like to swap out the struts, but for now it works and I believe that most would say the same.

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I did the Steeda Min Drop springs on the original PP1 Struts....
Thanks for the reply. No PP1 struts here. I maybe should have found a PP1 car but I got a great deal on a base one. I'll probably spend whatever I saved on suspension and tires/wheels and then some.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Very subjective to your tastes. If you want more comfort then probably not. If you want more performance then yes.

In my case I did a spring swap on my PP car when it was new and liked it for my early motorsport activities. However it wasn't long until i wanted more and now I got a full blown track car.
Understandably I am the 3% of forum members that do this type of thing. If you are more of a casual driver then you might be happy with keeping the OEM dampeners for a while.

The nice thing is that you have your own lift so you can upgrade whenever a free day opens up for you. Enjoy the ride OP:like:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I did the Steeda Min Drop springs on the original PP1 Struts and it's not caused any issues. I think most people do the same. At some point I would like to swap out the struts, but for now it works and I believe that most would say the same.

Problem is the PP1 shocks are better than the base GT.

Ask Steeda, they have so many different springs sets I can't keep up with the intended applications.

It won't make the car explode, but it might be sub optimal. Ideally shock damping and spring rates should be related, and designed to work together. Adding more spring to an underdamped car will make it more underdamped. Good news is less lowering, and more progressive springs typically work better with the stock shocks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I decided to just upgrade the base struts/shocks while I have the car apart. I was just about to order the Steeda progressive springs and non-adjustable shocks when I realized they made 2 different types. Confusion then set in and I had to contact Steeda to get me sorted out. Basically the difference between their Comfort Package and Sport Package is the shock/struts they supply both of which are non-adjustable. The Comfort comes with the newer 'Active' shocks/struts which cost a few bucks more.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable shocks are really nice to have. You can have the best of both worlds and change settings in a couple of minutes to go from grocery getter to canyon carver, or just find that custom happy place and leave them set.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
However what are the best springs for the PP shocks ? I want to buy only springs this season before investing in Ohlins coilovers.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
However what are the best springs for the PP shocks ? I want to buy only springs this season before investing in Ohlins coilovers.
Don't bother, just drive the PP1 till time for real upgrade. The PP1 rear shocks can't handle the springs they do have. And changing the rate up front is but a small delta.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't bother, just drive the PP1 till time for real upgrade. The PP1 rear shocks can't handle the springs they do have. And changing the rate up front is but a small delta.
Yeah that's a valid option. My problem is when I'm on Semi-Slicks I have a lot of BodyRoll in the car but I think a Front Swaybar will solve this issue ? Otherwise may as well just invest in the coilovers. I was looking at steeda ultralites but I don't like the drop on this without roll center correction.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm told adjustables are overkill for the street and others say get them. I don't want to do this twice. I have had Bilstein PSS10 coil overs on my old Porsche so I do have some experience with this. I know I don't care for big sway bars :) Adjustables might be good if I end up not liking the progressives and want to go to a linear spring.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
it's not a 'street' or 'track' thing. It's a matter of do you have to put up with the manufacture's one-size-fits-all choice (which vary from way off, to passable, and on rare occasion 'good') or adjusting it to suit your desires within the limits of what can be accomplished. The FRPP Track shocks or the Steeda adju Pro-Actions are both good choices in that regard and inexpensive.

'Progressive' springs aren't really. They are 2 if at most 3-rate springs. I haven't gotten an answer from @SteedaTech on where the inflection point is on their sport progressives, but I suspect it's similar to their dual-rate springs which at static are about a 1/4" away from dipping into the higher rate zone.

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We aren't talking about a lot of $$$ here. I think the cost difference is less than $300 or about the same price as camber plates or rear shock mounts. So now I have gone from just changing the springs to getting adjustables.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So now I have gone from just changing the springs to getting adjustables.
you're welcome. :)
If you want a good handling car, it unfortunately means ripping out the sub-standard factory stuff. It would be nice if the factory would keep their eye on the ball and equip "performance pack" cars with the actual performance parts. But alas.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Get the front bar regardless. Big improvement.
After Friday track day I'm convinced Camber Plates and Front Sway Bar are a must have on this cars.
Sponsored