Sponsored

Changing brake pads, have questions

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The '20R is unique, with a one year only knuckle for the GT350.
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The '20R is unique, with a one year only knuckle for the GT350.
While true they don't have a unique brake caliper configuration. I don't see why the 2020 R would be any different in regards to caliper studs.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has nothing to do with the caliper "configuration" (caliper dimensions have remained constant throughout the entire run of GT350/GT350R vehicles) but rather the knuckle. More specifically, the depth of the bore for the tapped hole. That dimension is unique to the '20R.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
While true they don't have a unique brake caliper configuration. I don't see why the 2020 R would be any different in regards to caliper studs.
Building on what @Epiphany said, think about it this way - all GT350's from 2015 to 2020 except the 2020 R use the same calipers and knuckles up front. A stud made for any will fit them all.

In an effort to improve handling of the 2020 R, FP "borrowed" the knuckle from the 2020 GT500. Thing is, GT500 brake calipers are different from GT350 calipers - same mounting centers, but rather bigger and heavier to handle the larger rotors and increased thermal load. In designing the GT500 knuckle to mount the bigger GT500 calipers, FP engineers also increased the depth of the caliper mounting holes in the knuckles. That increased depth came across to the 2020 R along with the knuckle.

In designing a caliper mounting stud for either application, the designer divides the stud into two sections - the "upper section" which has to be the right length for the caliper body and the "lower section" that has to be the right length for the stud hole in the knuckle. I'm guessing that the 2020 GT350R needs studs with a GT500 "lower section" to sit in the knuckle properly and a GT350 "upper section" to hold the caliper properly. A GT500 stud on a 2020 R will be too long for GT350 calipers and a GT350 stud will sit too deep in the knuckle (as reported by the OP).

Now, if I were fortunate enough to have a 2020 GT350R, I'd use GT350 studs and solve the mounting hole depth problem by putting a loose hunk of metal (something I can retrieve with a magnet) into the hole in the knuckle and running the stud in against it. When the caliper is torqued in place, there is no load on the bottom of the stud - the tension in the stud pulls away from the bottom, not toward it. Chewing gum would probably work, although I wouldn't recommend it. :shock:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dimension needed from the milled face of the knuckle to the nut end is constant across the board. It is only the dimension from the milled face down to the bottom of the bore that varies. The issue is that the GT350R knuckle, as used on the '20 MY, has been inconsistent. For production purposes that doesn't matter as the factory bolts when fully installed do not reach the bottom of the hole. For a stud the depends on that bore depth to be consistent....that's an issue.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The dimension needed from the milled face of the knuckle to the nut end is constant across the board. It is only the dimension from the milled face down to the bottom of the bore that varies. The issue is that the GT350R knuckle, as used on the '20 MY, has been inconsistent. For production purposes that doesn't matter as the factory bolts when fully installed do not reach the bottom of the hole. For a stud the depends on that bore depth to be consistent....that's an issue.
I designed a stud (a while ago, a long while actually) that had to adapt to different lengths depending on the final installation. The stud had tapped holes in both ends. For the end that had to bottom at the right position, you thread a lock nut onto a button head screw, wind it in until the stud's the right length, give the locknut a little twist and get on with the assembly. On the other end, install a set screw with a little red loctite so you can install the stud and remove it easily even if it's otherwise out of reach. Ahhh, those were the days...

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
Hi, I’ve sent a couple PMs to @Epiphany in the last week but haven’t heard back. I’m hoping to get a set of caliper studs installed the week of July 18. Does anyone have any advice on how to reach him? Thanks all.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hi, I’ve sent a couple PMs to @Epiphany in the last week but haven’t heard back. I’m hoping to get a set of caliper studs installed the week of July 18. Does anyone have any advice on how to reach him? Thanks all.
Bummer, I bet he’s just busy. Sorry, unfortunately I don’t have another way to reach him. Maybe give it a few more weeks and try again?