Consensus on PPF and Ceramic

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
What is the consensus on PPF and/or ceramic. Ill be honest, new to this and trying to make an informed decision.

Full PPF is quite expensive.
Are people doing partial PPF and then ceramic the rest?

Just curious how everyone is managing their ride.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Dave: If you do some surgical searching here, you'll probably find ten thousand words on the two subjects. Both sides are represented but I suspect a considerable majority go for PPF, full or partial as in A frames forward, and possibly rocker panels.

I've dealt with partial PPF on four or five different vehicles over the last ten years or so and honestly, I'm tired of the dirty edges that inevitably appear. Plus, the self-healing quality hasn't impressed me, at least with Xpel and 3M film which are probably the best. The paint may not get knicked but the spot will be there.

Granted, ceramic will no nothing for flying debris so you either touch those up or, go with film.

I plan to try ceramic for the first time soon on the wife's vehicle and if I am happy, I will do the two 500's. The main benefit of ceramic is "ease of cleaning." But it also protects from the Sun's UV, stains and bird poop etchings, etc. Plus, you get enhanced gloss much like you do with transparent film.

In either case, be sure you choose a reputable outfit that has paint corrected many, many vehicles and know exactly what they're doing. Paint correction before film or ceramic is essential and the amount of work required for that is typically why both are quite expensive.

And, if at all possible, try to get your eyeballs on a vehicle they have treated previously.

Good luck.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
If you're concerned about the cost of doing the whole car, I would maybe recommend doing the crucial places i.e. hood, front bumper/fascia, and side view mirrors and doing a paint correction and ceramic coating on the rest. My truck is fully ceramic coated and its the best investment into your vehicle you could make. Worth every penny!

Hope this helped!

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I did PPF on the front (bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirrors) and ceramic on the whole car/wheels and am happy with the results. My detailer wrapped the edges of the PPF where he could, and trimmed a few edges that picked up some dirt after the initial install.

This is the first time I’ve had ceramic coating on my car and I’m amazed how much easier it is to wash and dry the car now, even compared to a wax or paint sealant. I’d recommend the ceramic for sure and the PPF if you plan to keep the car long term. If you get rid of the car within 3 years or so then PPF probably isn’t worth it.

OP
OP

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
Thanks guys, this is helpful. I wasnt' aware partial" PPF as option. Just trying to understand, Ive only ever done full wraps but seems ppf is much more $$ than even normal wraps. Likely will do a partial PPF and ceramic on the rest.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Wrap vinyl is less expensive because the vinyl is thinner than PPF and much more forgivable and streatchable. The vinyl itself is less expensive and installation is much easier and quicker.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Also, vinyl is less expensive because it doesn't have self healing properties. If it gets damaged you pretty much have to peel and replace. Whereas PPF can (to a degree) be rejuvenated with a hairdryer or just parking in the sun. Nice thing about PPF is swirl marks disappear on their own by just parking in the sun.

I did partial PPF with XPEL film. It wasn't cheap. I covered everything from the A pillars forward with partial front fender coverage. The line on the fender is nearly invisible. Just make sure to get full hood coverage. The hood is the worst place to have a line and it needs complete coverage.

Also look at Rokbloks stone guards. They well help prevent chips down the sides. A partial PPF section before the rear wheels is also a good idea if you are going to drive a lot. This area is prone to rock impacts.

You can do ceramic over PPF as well.

Paint correction (if required) followed by PPF application, ceramic coat, add Rokbloks for ultimate protection.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I did full PPF on my 350 because I am paranoid and plan on tracking the car. So far for me, it has put my mind at ease of someone walking by it and accidently scratching it

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
This is the 1st time ive ppf/ceramic and id say absolutely worth it. I had the "drivers package " done. Entire front, side skirts, roof and rear quarters ppf and ceramic entirely

Finch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500(July 8 birthday), 2021 Ranger Tremor
watch out for that rear spoiler as well when deciding on PPF. It will catch flying rocks and debris. I did that as well as the entire front, a pillars, roof and rockers. Ceramic over everything, wheels and calipers included.

Sponsored

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
This is the first car I have done anything on and opted for full PPF / Ceramic.

I track the car so I wanted as much protection as possible, if you have ever been on the track you know that race rubber and other things can fly and hit the car anywhere. I have cleaned race rubber marks off of everywhere on my cars.

I plan on keeping this car a long time and like the protection it brings and the gloss shine, the easy cleaning for wheels and brakes with ceramic on them is out of this world.

Fully recommend.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
This is the first car I have done anything on and opted for full PPF / Ceramic.

I track the car so I wanted as much protection as possible, if you have ever been on the track you know that race rubber and other things can fly and hit the car anywhere. I have cleaned race rubber marks off of everywhere on my cars.

I plan on keeping this car a long time and like the protection it brings and the gloss shine, the easy cleaning for wheels and brakes with ceramic on them is out of this world.

Fully recommend.

I went to my first track day and was shocked at some of the places i found rubber marks. So thankful I got full ppf

RDM0912

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Fords
Anyone done full Xpel on black 2020 GT 500?

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Unpopular opinion here. My GT is the first car I have not done PPF on. Looking back I wish I had done the hood because being a heavy daily driver, the hood takes the majority of the beating. The rest of the car has been completely fine. I've tracked it and I rip the canyons as often as I can. If I don't use something like a short term PPF (like Road Warrior Plus) I'll just tape behind the wheels. There are several reasons I didn't PPF the car. First, I keep my cars for a long time and on my 20 year old Durango the PPF got to the point that it looked like hell. So I tried to peel it with a heat gun, carefully, and it was pulling paint. Scared, I took it to a well regarded detailer here and he tried for hours and it still peeled paint up. So I ended up paying not only for the PPF to begin with, but also to remove it, and got stuck having to repaint the hood and fenders anyway. My other truck has PPF and I will be getting rid of it before the PPF gets bad enough to need replacing, but already there's a gouge in it from a large impact (which dented the hood anyway). PPF can only heal up to a point. Now, I understand modern PPF doesn't adhere so strongly with paint like it used to - to avoid pulling paint up, but on that same token, modern paint is thinner now so... remains to be seen. Lastly, ceramic coatings are great and gloss like crazy but in order to maintain that gloss you're maintaining the ceramic coat just as often, if not more so, than a well polished and sealed paint. I spend less time keeping my mustang looking like a mirror than my truck. After a year the ceramic coat (I used Gyeon) needs a topper almost every wash. Anyway just my opinions, and again, I would PPF your hood definitely, but not the entire car - especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Sponsored