Consensus on PPF and Ceramic

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As long as it hasn't been on the suface for years anyway.
I've done that too. Back when I didn't want to shell out for mucho dinero to xpel both of the other Rs at the same time, I used Trakk tape on the cars for over a year. As a matter of fact, I was working on the cars today and where I had a few stubborn edges that wouldn't stay down, I used Trakk tape to do the job. The edges stayed down, the trakk tape lifted right off without any problem. I put that stuff on there a long long time ago.

Edit to add, the Trakk tape was on small spots of the Xpel for a year and a half with no issues.

I think the Trakk tape was on the paint for about the same amount of time before Xpel. No issues.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It's pretty clear then that the adhesive on the track film is not the same as the PP film's adhesive. Then I've learned that steam and lots of adhesive remove and rags is the proper removal method for long-term stubborn film. Haven't tried it yet but have ever reason to believe it will do the job, it'll just be messy as HELL.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's pretty clear then that the adhesive on the track film is not the same as the PP film's adhesive. Then I've learned that steam and lots of adhesive remove and rags is the proper removal method for long-term stubborn film. Haven't tried it yet but have ever reason to believe it will do the job, it'll just be messy as HELL.
Nope, certainly not. PPF is great for all around protection. If you are going to the track, throw some on for some additional protection in problematic areas.

I just tore off a piece of Xpel that has been on one of my cars for a year and a half. Although it came off, it didn't go easy. It did leave adhesives on the paint which had to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. I installed the new Xpel after the cleanup process without any issue.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My recommendation is keeping the car clean and waxed. When washing I recommend Meguiars spray ceramic. You can also do a real ceramic yourself, plenty of YouTube videos it is very easy. I do not recommend spending the $$ on PPF, especially on a Mustang. Keep it simple and save $$$. If you still own your car after a few years and want it to look close To new again, have it professionally detailed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My wife’s Land Cruiser has PPF from the factory on the front 12“ of the hood. It looks like crap and has yellowed...not impressed. If I tried to remove and replace it I’d probably rip of the clear taking it off.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
My wife’s Land Cruiser has PPF from the factory on the front 12“ of the hood. It looks like crap and has yellowed...not impressed. If I tried to remove and replace it I’d probably rip of the clear taking it off.
Yellowed? What year did you have that done? Xpel has come a long way. If yours turned yellow, I would be pursuing a warranty claim.

I experienced a rock chip on the way to get xpel. Your advice is not good.

Edited to add:

Clean and waxed? Lol

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Yellowed? What year did you have that done? Xpel has come a long way. If yours turned yellow, I would be pursuing a warranty claim.

I experienced a rock chip on the way to get xpel. Your advice is not good.

Edited to add:

Clean and waxed? Lol
Yep, dads car for a nasty chip on the way to ppf. Terrible advise for protecting an investment

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Spent 7 hours putting Adam's Polishes 9H Ceramic on my Rapid Red Rocket. PPF on the front doghouse and rockers. Wash, Claybar, Wash. Dry. Isopropyl wipe down. Apply, buff, buff some more and check your work!

A few observations - Shine is great. Once cured I'll put a coat of Beadmaker on top to really bring out the warmth of the color. Very few defects in my paint and low peel. The Shelby front airdam and side skirts look darker after ceramic (read better). Also the wing and the piano black sail panel between the tail lights look fantastic and I'm sure this will help thwart scratches.. I have not done the air extractor and rain tray. (ran out of time)

See what you think. JP

IMG_7800.jpg

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
i just do not agree with the whole “protecting an investment” mentality. It is a car, not an investment. Keep it clean, waxed, maintained, drive it and enjoy it. A Ford no less.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Most of us don’t want our cars to look like a pitted mess from driving and enjoying them. Even if it is “just a Ford”...

ppf has saved my front end from shitty LA roads just in the year I’ve had it

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i just do not agree with the whole “protecting an investment” mentality. It is a car, not an investment. Keep it clean, waxed, maintained, drive it and enjoy it. A Ford no less.
A lot of people go out on a limb to afford a Ford. Any modern car in this price range is not an investment, to the contrary it usually incurs a loss after a few years when the next car comes along. Its interesting that you consider the 500 a completely disposable toy. That's fine, I respect that, just like people going out and spending ADMs. But again, your advice is not sound. Ford paint sucks. All the ceramic coatings in the world are not going to save you from your front end getting the crap chipped out of it. And if you were lucky enough to get a CFTP, you will find that those tires do nothing but sandblast the car, little by little over time.

So maybe you make stupid money and the price you paid for your 500 is insignificant to you. Maybe you are like my brother and don't take care of anything you own. Who knows.

But the thought of these cars being minimally susceptible to rock chips, especially if you take it on the track, is absurd.

If your preference is no PPF, great on you. Have at it. But to tell people it isn't a concern especially based upon the vehicle cost is condescending.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
2013 Land Cruiser daily driver...bought new...never 1 night inside a garage...detailed on a quarterly basis with nothing but some polish and wax. 115k miles.

30DE7BC1-D60C-4D39-A9FA-8CD13C21DC15.jpeg

DE853734-4C7B-4C14-9A27-6725C458E524.jpeg

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I do not recommend spending the $$ on PPF, especially on a Mustang. Keep it simple and save $$$.
Huh? Don't follow your logic at all. It's a $100k+ car in most cases. Whether or not it's a Mustang / Ford is completely irrelevant. Guess you've never been to FL during the lovebug season. Paint gets ruined very quickly.

Have my rather expensive car look like crap after the first year or keep it looking pristine for years to come? Not a tough decision for me.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
2007 GT/SC garaged kept 3500 miles...nothing but Meguiars #26...no PPF no coatings...

80B751A3-2774-4A7E-8D75-DA5D6F99C5CC.jpeg
Sponsored