Sponsored

CarPlay Hub Poll

17+ Owners: Does Apple CarPlay work using your front console USB port (not armrest)?

• Total voters

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Does Apple CarPlay work through your front console USB port (not armrest port)?
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
not a 17+ owner but I swapped to a 17+ hub and it does work. After all, the front usb port actually plugs into the one in arm rest.

eddison

This is expected functionality, if yours doesn’t work using the front port, somethings wrong.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
not a 17+ owner but I swapped to a 17+ hub and it does work. After all, the front usb port actually plugs into the one in arm rest.
Freedom speaks the truth!
usb-jpg-jpg.jpg

I did 8" Sync swap in my 16, and upgraded to a 19 hub to enable Carplay. I only use the arm rest usb, but will double check tomorrow on the center console

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Still waiting on the paperwork from the dealer to see which cable they replaced and the PN. Before they gave up, they replaced the armrest hub, the APIM (twice), and a cable. I’m wondering if the cable ports on the armrest hub are cable-specific? I’m assuming it’s plugged into the correct APIM port. With all new parts, what else could it be?

Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
In the base cars that grey USB plug on the back of the APIM is used to power the front USB port for charging only. The premium cars don't use that plug(Jim pictured above) as the front USB plug comes from the powered USB hub from the center console. I wonder if they used a base car USB port from the back of the APIM to the front USB port and that's why it's power only now as it isn't powered from the console hub anymore.

I'm guessing this because my base 2018 has a sync swap from a 2017 and it still has the base USB cables installed and is wired like a base car. My front USB port is charging only(wired to grey port in back of APIM) and the console hub does my apple car play with a powered hub.

Just a guess and good luck.

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I just pulled the armrest hub. The cables are port-specific, and keyed to the correct port. I did notice that both cables are still covered in the factory wrap. If they replaced just the front port console cable, do you think the tech would have bothered re-wrappedIng the cables together? I hate to be so suspicious, but if they really did replace all these parts, something doesn’t make sense.

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
As much as I hate to have to do it, I guess I’ll disassemble the bezel/front panel to access the APIM and check. However, with the APIM ports being keyed, I don’t think it’s possible to plug my black premium harness into the grey port on the APIM.

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
In the base cars that grey USB plug on the back of the APIM is used to power the front USB port for charging only. The premium cars don't use that plug(Jim pictured above) as the front USB plug comes from the powered USB hub from the center console. I wonder if they used a base car USB port from the back of the APIM to the front USB port and that's why it's power only now as it isn't powered from the console hub anymore.

I'm guessing this because my base 2018 has a sync swap from a 2017 and it still has the base USB cables installed and is wired like a base car. My front USB port is charging only(wired to grey port in back of APIM) and the console hub does my apple car play with a powered hub.

Just a guess and good luck.
When you say your car was a base model, do you mean it came with the 4.3” display?

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
When you say your car was a base model, do you mean it came with the 4.3” display?
Correct, 300A package 4.3" display is what the car came with and it now has 8" screen/sync3 out of a '17.

Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I hate to have to do it, I guess I’ll disassemble the bezel/front panel to access the APIM and check. However, with the APIM ports being keyed, I don’t think it’s possible to plug my black premium harness into the grey port on the APIM.
I see what you're saying. I meant they used the grey cable from a base and plugged it into the APIM(grey port) as your "replacement front cable" but it's just a guess though. I can't see a tech removing the bezel and forgetting what cable to reinstall but crazier things have happened. You'll know right away if you take it apart unfortunately. Interested to know what USB cable they replaced if it's a factory wrap on a console hub...

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I see what you're saying. I meant they used the grey cable from a base and plugged it into the APIM(grey port) as your "replacement front cable" but it's just a guess though. I can't see a tech removing the bezel and forgetting what cable to reinstall but crazier things have happened. You'll know right away if you take it apart unfortunately. Interested to know what USB cable they replaced if it's a factory wrap on a console hub...
Exactly! Both cables are sourced separately. I can’t find a part number for both cables wrapped together as a harness assembly. If they replaced just one cable, would they have gone through the trouble of unwrapping and re-wrapping? It still looks OEM.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! Both cables are sourced separately. I can’t find a part number for both cables wrapped together as a harness assembly. If they replaced just one cable, would they have gone through the trouble of unwrapping and re-wrapping? It still looks OEM.
A good tech would have gone through that and made it look/perform OEM, but a good tech would also have it working correctly by now so...

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
A good tech would have gone through that and made it look/perform OEM, but a good tech would also have it working correctly by now so...
I guess what upsets me most is their insistence that they have proof Carplay doesn’t work through the front port on 17+ mustangs. The fact that mine did before they worked on it...they just have nothing. I’ve had good success with this dealership for years. This blatant BS to make me go away will do exactly that. My family of 4 Fords will go somewhere else from now on.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess what upsets me most is their insistence that they have proof Carplay doesn’t work through the front port on 17+ mustangs. The fact that mine did before they worked on it...they just have nothing. I’ve had good success with this dealership for years. This blatant BS to make me go away will do exactly that. My family of 4 Fords will go somewhere else from now on.
Their stance makes no sense to me. If it's not a feature on your 2017 then why did they replace that laundry list of parts?

Maybe a different dealer at this point.
Sponsored