Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
wut? Is there a question there?

Its a 150ft lb torque spec just like all the other mustangs.

Hand tight, no. Wrench tight to 150ft/lbs, yes. Impact guns are a huge variable and often get ugga dugga way past the torque spec, so pretty much always avoid those for tightening anything.

OP
OP
MO1182

MO1182

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
wut? Is there a question there?

Its a 150ft lb torque spec just like all the other mustangs.

Hand tight, no. Wrench tight to 150ft/lbs, yes. Impact guns are a huge variable and often get ugga dugga way past the torque spec, so pretty much always avoid those for tightening anything.
just was asking if anyone uses an impact gun to make life easy over tightening via wrench but had a feeling air tools are a bad idea on CF wheels.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
just was asking if anyone uses an impact gun to make life easy over tightening via wrench but had a feeling air tools are a bad idea on CF wheels.
Torque guns of any kind are generally a bad idea even with the non-marring socket. Over time it'll wear the lug hole openings.

Sometimes I'll use a cordless driver to SLOWLY turn them down (to save time) and then final check/torque with a torque wrench. I'll do the same process in reverse (where I break them and then SLOWLY use a tool to back them off). In my experience the cordless/electric guns have much more control than an air gun.

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Have any of you guys ever removed the tires from the CF wheels? What methods or who do you trust with the removal?

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The CF wheel has a thick aluminum core in the center that goes onto the hub and is held in place by the lug nuts. Same rules of engagement as aluminum wheels. That said, and as others have already said, tighten with a torque wrench.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I use a Milwaukee battery impact as a speed tool. Use the battery powered impact and torque with a torque wrench.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No impact on my Ti lugnuts...on or off...period...end of conversation...have a nice day! (that would apply even if I didn't have Ti lugnuts;)

I'm so anal (yes, you guys feel free to eye-roll here), once I start moving the torque wrench, I have to arrive at the torque setting in one fell swoop. I don't ratchet the (torque)wrench back and fourth like driving a normal nut or bolt nut down.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll spin lug nuts on/off with a
big electric impact tool to save some time, but always tighten with the impact to safely less than the torque spec and then finish up the last few ft lbs with a torque wrench on the ground. Taking them off I don’t bother to break them by hand, just spin them off with the impact, which saves about 20 steps in the process. Never work a hot lug nut or stud, let them cool before working them (that’s how you break them). I’ll also start the lugs by hand. Cross threading them would be bad.

i’m constantly changing sets of wheels, so safety 1st, but speed and ease is important. I’ve done well over a hundred wheel changes on my mustang, maybe 150+ by this point. Never broken a stud or nut and never had one come loose (except those two times I drove off without remembering the torque step), and I caught those before they were backed off.

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I’ll spin lug nuts on/off with a
big electric impact tool to save some time, but always tighten with the impact to safely less than the torque spec and then finish up the last few ft lbs with a torque wrench on the ground. Taking them off I don’t bother to break them by hand, just spin them off with the impact, which saves about 20 steps in the process. Never work a hot lug nut or stud, let them cool before working them (that’s how you break them). I’ll also start the lugs by hand. Cross threading them would be bad.

i’m constantly changing sets of wheels, so safety 1st, but speed and ease is important. I’ve done well over a hundred wheel changes on my mustang, maybe 150+ by this point. Never broken a stud or nut and never had one come loose (except those two times I drove off without remembering the torque step), and I caught those before they were backed off.
That's my process, too, for the same reasons - Impact off (mine has a setting that, once the nut is broken free, reduces torque and slowly spins them off), low setting impact spin on, torque wrench to final spec on the ground.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
I hand thread as far as I can and then use torque wrench in a star pattern. Once you've had a wheel come off because of improper tightening with a impact gun, you take no chances.

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I loosen by hand and tighten them back on the same way, then torque each to 150ft lbs. For tire removal, Hunter Revolution is the machine you want.
Thanks, now I need to find that machine at a local shop.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I break them loose with the tire still planted by hand, just because I'm OCD about not accidentally spinning them too fast with the gun. Once they're broken, I can swap the socket and then remove them quicker (but slowly) using the gun. I suppose I could do it with the gun, but I risk that runaway spin if I'm not carful enough. I'm OCD about it with alloy wheels. I'd be double OCD about it with a set of CF wheels that are either incredibly costly to repair or impossible to repair the finish.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Have any of you guys ever removed the tires from the CF wheels? What methods or who do you trust with the removal?
A hunter touchless tire machine and someone who takes their time and cares about your wheels. That is the only way to go.
Sponsored