Mustang, Camaro

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Mother of God those are sick. Seriously a 20 x 9 weighs 17 lbs, that is insane. I need those for the Hellcat. I wonder what a set of 19 x 9 and 19 x 11 will weigh when they make them in the future. They are pricey though, not certain if i would drop that kind of money for wheels for a sub 100k car

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I did see those and they do look awesome. If I was to buy CF wheels for my GT350 I would just get the stock R ones, which I believe are cheaper. It is nice to see more CF wheels (even if they are only partially CF) coming to market. Hopefully they come way down in price soon.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Just wait a couple years when the GT350R is done production. Ford will clear out remaining wheels for cheap.

In 2008 Honda released a special Mugen Civic Si for one year. It has amazing 18x7.5 forged wheels that were only 16.5lbs. Long story short they cleared them out for $800 a set after the one year run. They're $800-900 a wheel regular.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I did see those and they do look awesome. If I was to buy CF wheels for my GT350 I would just get the stock R ones, which I believe are cheaper. It is nice to see more CF wheels (even if they are only partially CF) coming to market. Hopefully they come way down in price soon.
I agree. I like the idea of the carbon fiber barrel only, as it leaves more design freedom for the spokes of the wheel. The R wheels are kind of plain in my opinion.

I hope the R wheels come down in price more. Right now they are just too much to justify for me at least.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Yep, I knew of these before they were released, amazingly light for a hybrid

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I agree. I like the idea of the carbon fiber barrel only, as it leaves more design freedom for the spokes of the wheel. The R wheels are kind of plain in my opinion.

I hope the R wheels come down in price more. Right now they are just too much to justify for me at least.
Much of the design and shape of the R wheel is for the stiffness though. Carbon-barreled wheels like the one shown will typically have much more barrel flex and unwanted camber change. The R wheel was designed to avoid that. We don't yet know what the flex will be on these wheels.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Hasn't Forgeline been working on these for years now?
Correct they kept it hush hush until around its release. its a difficult process so they went through a lot of R&D

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Much of the design and shape of the R wheel is for the stiffness though. Carbon-barreled wheels like the one shown will typically have much more barrel flex and unwanted camber change. The R wheel was designed to avoid that. We don't yet know what the flex will be on these wheels.

[MENTION=29009]Demonic[/MENTION]

Not sure where you are getting this information from. Can you post a source?

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
[MENTION=29009]Demonic[/MENTION]

Not sure where you are getting this information from. Can you post a source?
I'd like to see this info as well. I spoke to them at pri and forgeline had their testing data on hand
It's likely as strong if not stronger than the almighty R wheel.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I'd like to see this info as well. I spoke to them at pri and forgeline had their testing data on hand
It's likely as strong if not stronger than the almighty R wheel.
Highly unlikely. There may be a very select few companies that genuinely make tougher wheels than very high end OEM wheels, which the R's certainly are, but they are far and few between. They simply don't have to hold up to the same levels of durability or standards that are mandated internally for OEM wheels.

Simply put, almost all aftermarket wheel companies don't have the R&D money to test and implement their highest quality feels in every facet like an OEM does to ensure the required compliance under very high G loads. They are far more concerned with "just making it light weight" than they are with the other technical data that is just as if not more important.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Just wait a couple years when the GT350R is done production. Ford will clear out remaining wheels for cheap.

In 2008 Honda released a special Mugen Civic Si for one year. It has amazing 18x7.5 forged wheels that were only 16.5lbs. Long story short they cleared them out for $800 a set after the one year run. They're $800-900 a wheel regular.
Probably not since R production is constantly waiting on the supply of wheels from CarbonRev.

Highly unlikely. There may be a very select few companies that genuinely make tougher wheels than very high end OEM wheels, which the R's certainly are, but they are far and few between. They simply don't have to hold up to the same levels of durability or standards that are mandated internally for OEM wheels.

Simply put, almost all aftermarket wheel companies don't have the R&D money to test and implement their highest quality feels in every facet like an OEM does to ensure the required compliance under very high G loads. They are far more concerned with "just making it light weight" than they are with the other technical data that is just as if not more important.
Forgelines have been seen on many GT350 prototypes and they are used on the GT350R-C & Mustang GT4 racecars, so they are probably pretty good...

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Probably not since R production is constantly waiting on the supply of wheels from CarbonRev.

Forgelines have been seen on many GT350 prototypes and they are used on the GT350R-C & Mustang GT4 racecars, so they are probably pretty good...
I don't doubt that they are a quality wheel at all. But Ford is the one who provides the specifics to them for those applications, i.e build us a wheel in this size, with this stiffness, etc. etc. It isn't on Forgeline to R&D to determine whether X amount of stiffness or strength is adequate for the application.

Considering the wheels in the OP are a two piece affair, it will inherently never have the same strength as a single piece barrel/spokes design of the OEM R wheels. I imagine though for most this is a null point regardless, but I was only commenting on the fact that the posted wheels were "stronger than the R's carbon wheels". :cheers:

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
$15k for a set. i'm not brave enough to run those on a daily. one bad pothole or curb and it will end in tears...
Sponsored

Last edited: