Sponsored

Carbon Fiber wheels

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Are these only on the R? Most likely will be available to order from the catalogue? Why do they paint them black adding weight? In the Koenisseg video I thought he said they leave theirs unpainted for the unique look and I'm assuming because of weight purposes.
Sponsored

MarcW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
Yes, only on the R models. Yes, should be available from a dealer, since they are a factory part. They will need to be available for replacement. As for weight of the paint? Give me break. You think a few ounces of paint is going to hurt things?

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Are these only on the R? Most likely will be available to order from the catalogue? Why do they paint them black adding weight? In the Koenisseg video I thought he said they leave theirs unpainted for the unique look and I'm assuming because of weight purposes.
I don't believe that these are what you're thinking. They are not covering up a cosmetically perfect carbon fiber weave with paint. They were manufactured to not have a cosmetically perfect carbon fiber visible weave as a cost cutting measure.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Part of the reason they are painting them is the wheel won't look like a Koenigsegg carbon fiber wheel nor would it have any "weave" pattern in it. The GT350R from the NAIAS has unpainted wheels to show them off and they are in an off gray.

Also another reason is brake dust. Hameedi and others have said these pads are going to be very dusty and black help hide it best. Paint will help provide corrosion resistance to hot brake media. A wheel can always be repainted too

Sponsored

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE
The Carbon wheels are painted to protect them from UV light. CF degrades with exposure to UV.

You cannot order them from Ford without a 350R VIN.

Once they hit the street and the supplier is ID, you may be able to get them that way.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
They look like Carbon Revolution wheels.

But wouldn't be surprised if Ford is doing them in house as part of a wider scope in the use of high strength carbon composites.

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE

But wouldn't be surprised if Ford is doing them in house as part of a wider scope in the use of high strength carbon composites.
I thought so too when first announced.

But the CR-9 (9 spoke) is the only announced version from Carbon Revolution. The 350R wheel is a 7 spoke.

I suspect it may be a OEM-only wheel.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe

I said this last year. They are the first (and as far as I know) and only company making carbon wheels. We started discussing these wheels last year in regards to the rules for American Iron. We currently have a maximum wheel size but no restrictions to materials. Anyone racing a GT350, GT350R, or even a '15 GT has to buy different wheels and tires since none of the OE wheels fit our rules.

Last edited:

Sponsored

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I said this year. They are the first (and as far as I know) and only company making carbon wheels. We started discussing these wheels last year in regards to the rules for American Iron. We currently have a maximum wheel size but no restrictions to materials. Anyone racing a GT350, GT350R, or even a '15 GT has to buy different wheels and tires since none of the OE wheels fit our rules.
What are the sizes allowed? I'm wondering if smaller wheels will even fit the GT350 with those massive front brakes.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I'd like to know how much they're going to cost at the parts counter.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
American Iron max wheel width is 9.5" and max diameter is 18". Brake rotor max diameter is 14". So brakes would have to be changed or cut down too.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to know how much they're going to cost at the parts counter.
The CR-9 retails for $15,000 per set. I'm betting they will probably be "only" about $10,000 per set due to economies of scale.
The Corvette racing team that tested them claimed a 50 lb reduction in unsprung weight and a full second off their lap time (did not reference the track).

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
My Harley edition F-150 has 22" wheels and they are $1250 for one at ford.
So I am betting at least $2500 per wheel, whats worse if you break one, likely
going to take time to get it.
Sponsored