Sponsored

Car won’t start

Triton1808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
2015 base auto won’t start. At first the dash was saying key fob not found and not enough keys learned. Now All sorts of lights and messages come up on the dash,most notably it says factory mode contact dealer. It has a brand new battery and new batteries in the fobs. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
2015 base auto won’t start. At first the dash was saying key fob not found and not enough keys learned. Now All sorts of lights and messages come up on the dash,most notably it says factory mode contact dealer. It has a brand new battery and new batteries in the fobs. Any suggestions?
remove the rubber insert in your cup holder. and put your key fob in the cup holder and try to start your car.
Sounds like your Keyfob battery is dead and the car can't "see" it

your owners manual has a page on this.

OP
OP

Triton1808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Thanks but I have tried that and also put new batteries in the fobs and still nothing

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks but I have tried that and also put new batteries in the fobs and still nothing
I wonder if your keys have been dissociated from the car somehow.since you stated the screen is showing "not enough keys learned"
if that the case, your more than likely going to need a tow to the dealer to reprogram the keys to the car as the newer Mustangs cannot be programmed manually if you do not have 2 "primary" keys already programmed.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Did all this start when you replaced the car battery, Has it run since replacing the battery? When I had mine replaced, the tech added a power feed through the OBDII port to keep power to the computers. He said the newer cars are starting to go bonkers if the battery is disconnected for too long, lots of settings get lost....Not sure how true that is, but could be the cause of everything losing communication...

Hopefully its covered under powertrain warranty...

OP
OP

Triton1808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
The car has been sitting for a while because of winter. I went to do some work on it( put in new seats) so I started it up twice and it was fine and then I got the initial message of no key fob found/ not enough keys programed. So I changed the batteries in them and put a new car battery in thinking the old one died. Now all’s I am getting is what’s seen on the video I posted above

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
just a thought..... try disconnecting the NEG battery cable for about 15-20 minutes, let the computers/modules reset, then reconnect the NEG cable and without touching anything but the brake, try to start the car.

long shot, but its free to try and maybe just might work

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
I just noticed your screen video shows Battery state of charge low. i'm wondering if your battery cables are either corroded or dirty.
if the cables are not making good contact or corroded, the car will see 12+ volts but cannot pull the enough amperage to actually start the car.
hence all the fault in the modules and the no start condition

Example, the computer and lights will come on with a tiny 20-18awg wire but needs at least a 12-10awg size wire to turn the motor over

Sponsored
OP
OP

Triton1808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Neither suggestion worked, it’s looking like a tow to the dealer is in order

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Stupid as this sounds, when things go bad, first rule of troubleshooting (been doing it for years) undo the last thing you messed with before it quit working. So in the install process of your new seats did all electrical connections get properly hooked up? If so I would next consider pulling the new seats out and putting the originals back in. Sounds to me like the Body modules may have gotten wiped or are causing the issue because they may not be seeing the airbags properly connected OR a connector was forced in pins got bent which has caused a problem. It's clearly not the battery (I assume you checked the voltage with a voltmeter at the battery right?) assuming you have checked that, and clearly not the key fob batteries unless you installed them upside down.

I doubt this will resolve anything but before you take it to the dealer to get the BCM's reprogrammed (or whatever else was taken out) your best bet would be to undo what you did seat wise and verify that all connections are good and nothing damaged there. Otherwise the dealer could be chasing their tail not knowing what was done before hand that may have contributed to the problem. The end result? A bigger bill. Good luck.

Last edited:

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Stupid as this sounds, when things go bad, first rule of troubleshooting (been doing it for years) undo the last thing you messed with before it quit working. So in the install process of your new seats did all electrical connections get properly hooked up? If so I would next consider pulling the new seats out and putting the originals back in. Sounds to me like the Body modules may have gotten wiped or are causing the issue because they may not be seeing the airbags properly connected OR a connector was forced in pins got bent which has caused a problem. It's clearly not the battery (I assume you checked the voltage with a voltmeter at the battery right?) assuming you have checked that, and clearly not the key fob batteries unless you installed them upside down.

I doubt this will resolve anything but before you take it to the dealer to get the BCM's reprogrammed (or whatever else was taken out) your best bet would be to undo what you did seat wise and verify that all connections are good and nothing damaged there. Otherwise the dealer could be chasing their tail not knowing what was done before hand that may have contributed to the problem. The end result? A bigger bill. Good luck.
Very good point!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What's the voltage read directly across the battery terminals? Just because it's a new battery doen't mean it's not low or bad. Only a voltage measurement will tell you more info.
Sponsored