Sponsored

Car shutting off while driving

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yesterday, on 2 separate occasions, my car shut off completely while I was driving it. The first time was during deceleration from about 40 mph, and the second was during mild acceleration. Both times it cranked back up with no issues. I'm going to see if there are any codes to pull tonight but I was thinking it might be a loose ground with the BAP, or it was suggested that the pump itself may be going bad. I've only had the VMP plug and play BAP installed for around 1000 miles though. I haven't played with any other wiring recently, so I don't imagine it would be anywhere else if it is a loose wire issue. Does anyone else have any ideas? And if it does end up being the fuel pump, what is a good replacement? I feel like I have seen people say that a DW400 is not worth swapping in over a stock pump. However, looking at it, it is rated for 1000hp on pump gas and I won't be getting close to that number.

edit: I did check the charge pipes as once before I had one pop off and the car shut off, but everything seems to be good there. A boost leak wouldn't cause the MAF to read weird and shut the car off, would it? I didn't get a wrench light either time so I had kinda ruled that out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
subbed as this happens randomly to me and I can never capture it. Happens in different weather, different conditions, different speeds. It's always when slowing down though just like yours and has never been at a dangerous speed or anything so it hasn't really worried me. Happens maybe once or twice a month.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
This has happened to me a few times. I've seen people in other forums talking about how it might be the throttle position sensor, but I myself haven't confirmed if that fixes the issue. I feel like the issue is hard to diagnose because it happens randomly.

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
This has happened to me a few times. I've seen people in other forums talking about how it might be the throttle position sensor, but I myself haven't confirmed if that fixes the issue. I feel like the issue is hard to diagnose because it happens randomly.
I would think that if it was the throttle position sensor that you'd get a lot of bucking when driving, or at least uneven acceleration. I don't have that problem unless I try to drive my car before it's warmed up.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
That's really strange.

If it was something with the TPS you would get a CEL or wrench light. A boost leak wont shut the car off even if you blew a pipe off.

Did you check for any codes? Even if there's no CEL sometimes you will have a pending code in history.

Could be the fuel pump. The BAP itself wouldnt cause that but if the pigtail harness that connects between it and the BAP is loose that could do it. I would disconnect the plugs and make sure all the pins are seated right, blow it out and make sure it's connected tightly. If stock pump + BAP is sufficient for your power level I would go with the DW400 if you upgrade. No reason to spend more if you really don't need it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That's really strange.

If it was something with the TPS you would get a CEL or wrench light. A boost leak wont shut the car off even if you blew a pipe off.

Did you check for any codes? Even if there's no CEL sometimes you will have a pending code in history.

Could be the fuel pump. The BAP itself wouldnt cause that but if the pigtail harness that connects between it and the BAP is loose that could do it. I would disconnect the plugs and make sure all the pins are seated right, blow it out and make sure it's connected tightly. If stock pump + BAP is sufficient for your power level I would go with the DW400 if you upgrade. No reason to spend more if you really don't need it.

No, I haven't looked to see if there is a code. I will check it tonight when I get home. Are you sure blowing a pipe wouldn't shut the car off? When I first installed the kit I forgot to tighten a clamp and blew a pipe off about 500 feet down the road. Got a CEL and car shut off.

I'll definitely check the pigtail as well. It would be nice if something that simple is the problem. If there are no codes and the harness and ground are tight, next up will be swapping out the pump I guess. But if I swap out the pump I guess there will be no need for the BAP, right? I'll just need to get a tune adjustment.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
This happened to me atleast 5 times when my car was completely bone stock.

Since I've tuned (2 years ago) this has not happened. Not sure why it happened, always happened when I was decelerating and it would randomly shut off.

Could not repeat it when I wanted to, but it happened at random.

Sorry for all the issues your having, I know its a pain in the ass lol

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
As long as it isn't indicative of another larger problem then I am not going to worry about it. Even though the car shut off, I don't think I lost power steering. Not sure about that though as I was going in a straight line both times. Maybe (hopefully) these were isolated incidents. I don't mind these issues a whole lot to be honest. The only gripe I have is that this is my DD so I rely on it a bit. However, with this being my first foray into FI I feel like I'm learning a lot that I wouldn't have learned had I not had any problems.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
No, I haven't looked to see if there is a code. I will check it tonight when I get home. Are you sure blowing a pipe wouldn't shut the car off? When I first installed the kit I forgot to tighten a clamp and blew a pipe off about 500 feet down the road. Got a CEL and car shut off.

I'll definitely check the pigtail as well. It would be nice if something that simple is the problem. If there are no codes and the harness and ground are tight, next up will be swapping out the pump I guess. But if I swap out the pump I guess there will be no need for the BAP, right? I'll just need to get a tune adjustment.
I guess it depends. I've blown a pipe off twice (once on the dyno, once free revving) and the car didnt run right but it didnt shut down. I finally learned how to tighten clamps after the second time lol.

As far as the pump I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can chime in there

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'll probably make it a project next weekend to replace all the clamps with some T clamps I bought just for this reason. Might re-seat the pipes as well and spray a little hairspray in there to maybe fix that potential problem once and for all. Reading threads about this shutting off issue makes me wonder what would happen if the car shut off like this when I was going around a curve..

Sponsored
OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I just got home and checked for codes. I show p1500: Vehicle Speed Sensor. Is that just the throttle position sensor?

Edit: that was the only code. Looking around d just basically tells me that this code means my speedometer is off?

Last edited:

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
subbed. Happened to me tonight - while decelerating. Glad I'm not imagining it but a little worried this is a hidden issue. 2017 GT, 33,000 kms

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
And happened again tonight. Disconcerting - again decelerating on an offramp

OP
OP

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
if you have a tuner check and see what error codes you are getting. i am having another issue right now that i suspect is caused by this but cant be sure.
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X