Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
  • Banned
Has anyone else ever dealt with what sounds like the head unit squeaking as the impeller comes to a halt after turning the car off? Idling it sounds normal, or so I think.

Attached is a video of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
  • Banned
When the crank stops, the impeller stops. It's perhaps your cooling fan coming to a stop?
Not sure, it sounds like it's coming directly from the head unit. I have no idea if it could be the bearings, oil pump, or whatnot. Do they come to a halt immediately or slowly right as you turn the car off? I've never dealt with the internals so I'm woefully uninformed.

I'll check it again tomorrow morning, really hope it fixes itself overnight. Lmao.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Air squeezing back past the impeller?

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I feel like it has to be a fan if the pulley isn’t spinning the impeller isn’t spinning.

OP
OP

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
  • Banned
Luckily nothing so far this morning, I'll take the belt off later and see if I can replicate the noise to see if its coming from the radiator fan. Hopefully, it's nothing but I appreciate the help!

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Radiator fan it sounds like to me. Use a flashlight, watch the fan and see if the squeak stops at the same time the fan blade stops moving.

The radiator fan is a common problem on these to do that.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure, it sounds like it's coming directly from the head unit. I have no idea if it could be the bearings, oil pump, or whatnot. Do they come to a halt immediately or slowly right as you turn the car off? I've never dealt with the internals so I'm woefully uninformed.

I'll check it again tomorrow morning, really hope it fixes itself overnight. Lmao.
They are belt driven, so they stop immediately when you turn the car off. If you turn the car off and hear squeaking after that point, I doubt it's the Procharger.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
If you are down on boost, a key in the drive mech on the centri unit could be sheered allowing free spin after the engine stops turning the drive pulley on the unit. If you aren't down on power and/or boost you can rule this out. Otherwise I tend to agree with the consensus assuming that the cooling fan is being commanded to run and is running when you shut the car off.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Fan coming to a stop no doubt.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Probably not the issue, but did you check the trunk?
We had a gal complaining of noises after shutting the motor off. It was coming more from the trunk area. We opened the trunk and a goat and a tied up midget came busting out. Fairly startling, but no more noises on shutdown after that.
Sponsored

Last edited: