Camshaft Phaser Issue?

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Anyone experience a bad camshaft phaser on a 2015-2017 GT?
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I’ve replaced one for someone else. Their right side exhaust phaser was stuck open giving him a code. The pin that gets pushed in from the solenoid would not compress. Tried dissecting it to see if I could find the problem but couldn’t get into the valve system without cutting it open. Installed a new one and issue resolved.

7CBA5106-A37A-4804-8F57-2A0E12E37227.jpeg
8AD2D4FC-B9D1-4089-87A2-83F37B3F3D8F.jpeg
E045B995-9425-48E0-A5DF-3FB17727CA7E.jpeg
CE40A910-F1AF-4E04-A888-38BDC3A15BC5.jpeg
B56B9303-8F4C-4BAB-8450-C2E9832F1F7F.jpeg
7E88B70C-73BC-4E10-B8C9-CBA038FAAD1B.jpeg
2AC203FB-737E-4165-873E-3ACC91500D83.jpeg
97AAA33A-50DD-4412-9265-93B1F5F6AA22.jpeg

OP
OP

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the reply. How did the car run with the bad phaser?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
It would start fine and be driveable but I think he noticed power loss since the cam couldn’t advance/retard properly. I never drove it beforehand. I believe the code he had referred to the cam being stuck in an over advanced position.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hey all. Not sure if this helps: while tracking my Whippled 2015, I did an experiment going BACK to stock opg from TSS just for one track weekend. It was a single weekend test on stock timing chains with 8100rpm shifts.
I did notice that the oil pump housing had a single bur spun round (pics somewhere on forum). If you put in brand new OPG, I would suggest staying out of higher rpms to insure the oil filter valve doesnt open to bypass. This would insure any burr rubbed free during OPG break in would end up in filter. I DID find 2 light aluminum flecks in the filter; no proof thats where they came from but suspect.

Anyway, just consider running a tank of gas thru with very slow progression up in the rpms in case opg is self clearancing anything. Just trying to increase chances that filter catches anything.
If you have a phaser bind or anything with tight oil clearances immediately after opg, suspect every possible source of fouling in oil getting past filter....

PS: stock 2015 timing chains tracked w 8100 shifts will get you lash in the chains quickly.
7500->7800 seems ok ish
7800->8100 seems like much steeper breakin curve for stock 2015 chains, prolly too steep

Memz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Memz
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old post.... I am not sure if my issue below may also be phaser related (if it is phaser related is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP and can it cause 'catastrophic' failure or does it just have weird driving habits?

Issue:

Car has been supercharged for about 7 months now (Edelbrock 2300 blower)

Since changing from 5w30 to 5w50 oil weight (I think about 2 months ago?) I have had the below issue.

After starting the car since its been sitting for about 1 hour (from a small drive to the shops) the car stalls when I put it from Park to Drive/Sports.

I usually let it idle for a bit once I start the car, but as above 2 times now (over the last 2 months) the car goes from idle to slightly lower rpm due to load from going into Drive mode then it struggles to maintain RPM then stalls with my foot on the brake & still in the car park.

nGauge has no codes & there is no CEL so this is a weird one.... Could it possibly be crappy fuel? once I start the car up again and drive off it has no issues sitting at the lights or driving, just the 2 times this has happened was in the car park after car has been sitting for about 1 hour.

Hope its nothing too serious as there are no codes or CEL but who knows, anyone else experienced this? wonder if the difference in 5w30 vs 5w50 is what's making it difficult to maintain rpm & stall in drive?

OP
OP

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old post.... I am not sure if my issue below may also be phaser related (if it is phaser related is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP and can it cause 'catastrophic' failure or does it just have weird driving habits?

Issue:

Car has been supercharged for about 7 months now (Edelbrock 2300 blower)

Since changing from 5w30 to 5w50 oil weight (I think about 2 months ago?) I have had the below issue.

After starting the car since its been sitting for about 1 hour (from a small drive to the shops) the car stalls when I put it from Park to Drive/Sports.

I usually let it idle for a bit once I start the car, but as above 2 times now (over the last 2 months) the car goes from idle to slightly lower rpm due to load from going into Drive mode then it struggles to maintain RPM then stalls with my foot on the brake & still in the car park.

nGauge has no codes & there is no CEL so this is a weird one.... Could it possibly be crappy fuel? once I start the car up again and drive off it has no issues sitting at the lights or driving, just the 2 times this has happened was in the car park after car has been sitting for about 1 hour.

Hope its nothing too serious as there are no codes or CEL but who knows, anyone else experienced this? wonder if the difference in 5w30 vs 5w50 is what's making it difficult to maintain rpm & stall in drive?
Perhaps you could send a data log the the tuner or supercharger manufacturer. Or, maybe change back to 5w30 and see if the problem goes away.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
wonder if the difference in 5w30 vs 5w50 is what's making it difficult to maintain rpm & stall in drive?
Ford Performance and Roush says use 5W-50 when a supercharger goes on. So if 5W-50 caused issues you'd probably hear about it from them, and they wouldn't be using 5W-50 if it caused problems.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, a supercharger is going to decrease the engine life (you know that, right? :) ), and so would 5w50 oil used on a stock engine, due to extra friction and lack of proper lubrication (especially the cams). Thicker oil is not always better. But yes, you need it with a supercharger for the extra stress and heat put on the engine by it. There's absolutely no need for 5w50 on a stock engine, period. It'd be debatable on a strictly track car, but not on a street one. But to each his own.

Memz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Memz
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550
Well, a supercharger is going to decrease the engine life (you know that, right? :) ), and so would 5w50 oil used on a stock engine, due to extra friction and lack of proper lubrication (especially the cams). Thicker oil is not always better. But yes, you need it with a supercharger for the extra stress and heat put on the engine by it. There's absolutely no need for 5w50 on a stock engine, period. It'd be debatable on a strictly track car, but not on a street one. But to each his own.
I was also cautious of changing oil grade but I think a few companies like Roush and Whipple recommend 5w50 for warranty purposes. As for daily driving the 50 weight just means it won’t thin out as much as a 30 weight during extreme temps. Apparently it shouldn’t affect daily driving when comparing 30 and 50 weight (and the 50 weight is usually more expensive due to the protective characteristics of the higher weight oil)
Maybe it’s just a coincidence I noticed my issue after the oil change as that’s the only reason I could think of.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The viscosity difference between 5W-30 and 5W-50 at operating temperature isn't enough to damage anything. And they are both rated 5W for cold start-up and warm ups, so the start-up and warm-up wear isn't really going to be any different. The Boss 302 came from the factory with 5W-50 if I recall correctly, and it wasn't supercharged.
Sponsored