Sponsored

Dealer says I need new phasers

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I have a 2015 GT PP with about 12k on it, one oil change at around 5k. It is running M1 full synthetic. About a month ago I noticed that it was really down on power, like I'd have to wind it out to 5k in order for it to get up and move. The exhaust noise (from Borla S type catbacks) was also severely muffled. I left it home for a couple weeks while I was in Europe and, much to my dismay, it had not fixed itself when I got back.

I drove it around for a couple of days with probably 50% of the normal power and the CEL finally came on, but it would come and go throughout the day. I finally took it to the dealer (no CEL at this point of course) but they reported P0345 and P0394 in the history. Because they could not replicate the issue, or more accurately they could not replicate the CEL, they cleared the codes and sent me on my way. The CEL came back the next day and stayed on. The car was handed back to the dealer on 11/12.

In the intervening weeks, they determined that it was not the cam position sensor or the VCT solenoid, a part they had to order to find out that wasn't it. Then they determined that one of the cam phasers needed to be replaced, which is kind of strange because I'm having a hard time finding others with 5.0s that needed one replaced, but hey, stuff happens. They ordered the part and it came in. This is where the story goes off the rails.

My SM said that they got the new phaser in, the mechanic looked at it and compared it to the existing phasers and determined, in his words, that "the new one looks exactly like the existing one". He then tells me that, because of this, they requested from Ford that all four phasers be replaced. When I asked him if the new phaser looks any different from any of the four existing, he said no. So, why did they decide to replace one of the phasers to begin with, and why do they now want to replace all four? If you only want to replace one, that means that you've identified one as being broken, right? Apparently not.

So anyway, fast forward to today. They got authorization from Ford to replace all four, but it will take 1 to 2 weeks (!!!!) for the parts to come in. I told the SM that I hoped this fixes the problem, and he said "what else could it be?" further confirming to me that these guys really don't know what the problem is and this could all just be a huge waste of time.

The worst part is that I needed to go onsite to get some stuff out of my car. The car is outside, timing cover is off, valve covers are off, the whole thing. The hood is closed, but that's it. God only knows what hell is going to occur on the inside of that engine while they screw around and try to get those parts in.

Can any of you shed some light over whether the experience I'm having is reasonable? I'm not a car guy by trade but I deal with complicated systems every day and I know that solutions are not always easy to find. I had to start a case with Ford in order to get my rental so they're already aware of what's going on, but this whole situation is extremely distressing for me, especially now that I know what's supposed to be the inside of my engine is exposed to the weather.
Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So why would new parts be different? Just because it looks the same doesn't mean part will be bad

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Troubleshooting has gone to shit. I read more and more posts where dealers are just throwing parts at cars. I see this all over the place with the big three; I dont spend significant time on foreign auto forums so I have no idea if it happens there but based on Toyotas adoption of Lean Six Sigma, I cant imagine it is happening with them. I think the manufacturers and end users get fleeced by dealer service centers when it comes to a lot of work.

stealthfrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 raptor, 99 corvette, 2015 PP mustang gt
seems they all want the computer to tell them whats wrong... sadly they are not a reliable source all the time and the mechanic has to actually use there head and figure out an issue...

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
seems they all want the computer to tell them whats wrong... sadly they are not a reliable source all the time and the mechanic has to actually use there head and figure out an issue...
Absolutely true.

However, good mechanics and good machinists are slowly becoming extinct. Seems nobody wants to think AND get their hands dirty. A good mechanic or machinist can take chicken sh!t and make chicken salad out of it.

Thanks for the post, moffetts. This makes one more item on the new one to look out for.

That is all...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Maybe the new phasers superseded the original phasers. Even though they looked exactly the same, there could have been a design tweak that couldn't be seen visually. Did you ask of the new ones had a new succeeding part number?

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
i would raise hell over the drive train being exposed for 2 weeks outside! a bit of rust pitting on a bearing is thousands of miles off the life of the engine...

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
WRONG, computer doesn't tell what is exactly wrong or what to fix. IT'S OWNERS who think this, then think it should only take hour to fix. Computer is a tool that's all and nothing more.

If you think T/S is hard in automotive field then come to truck side deal with DPF's and SCR systems. I do this for a living we just don't throw parts at it HOPE it fixes it. Most who say this have no freaking clue what goes on at dealership.

We are dying breed because everyone wants easy office job that money comes fast. Even Junior and High schools don't teach industrial arts anymore and we wonder why tech jobs are leaving this country.

stealthfrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 raptor, 99 corvette, 2015 PP mustang gt
WRONG, computer doesn't tell what is exactly wrong or what to fix. IT'S OWNERS who think this, then think it should only take hour to fix. Computer is a tool that's all and nothing more.

If you think T/S is hard in automotive field then come to truck side deal with DPF's and SCR systems. I do this for a living we just don't throw parts at it HOPE it fixes it. Most who say this have no freaking clue what goes on at dealership.

We are dying breed because everyone wants easy office job that money comes fast. Even Junior and High schools don't teach industrial arts anymore and we wonder why tech jobs are leaving this country.

Think you need to re read what I wrote because that's exactly what I said...

He ran into a dealer that has techs that don't have a clue and are just throwing parts at the car... There are very few techs/mechanics that can figure shit out on there own nowadays. I deal with it all the time with bucket trucks we drive at work, shits always breaking but if that stupid ass light isn't on in the dash they don't do shit since they don't have a clue on troubleshooting. I know the light is a tool... I do work on my own vehicles... Other then warranty work of course :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Modern day cars with all the trouble-codes sure helps reduce the trouble-shooting time these days. And most of the factory shop manuals have pretty detailed trouble-shooting flow charts. The tech just needs to follow the steps and it will usually home in on the problem the fastest. OBDII trouble-codes and a good shop manual are very important tools to know how to use.

Sponsored

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I didn't realize our cars had phasers, does that make us all Captain Kirk??

OP
OP

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Thanks guys. In case you guys want to see what is making me wince right now, here she is:

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I can't comment on whether having engine internals exposed like that can cause a problem. But it doesn't seem like it would take much effort for them to bolt the valve covers back on while waiting for parts.

One thing you might do is review the Yelp / Google Reviews for the car repair side of the dealership, and compare them to nearby dealerships. The car could always be towed. Another approach is to get the car towed to an independent mechanic. The latter might be more motivated by customer satisfaction as that's their bread and butter. Whether a warranty will allow for an independent mechanic is another thing I don't know.
Sponsored