Camshaft phaser torque specs.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
I am gearing up to replace the camshaft phasers on my 2019 and I cannot seem to find the phaser to cam bolt torque figured anywhere. Anyone have this specs and/or can take screen shits from the fsm? I've got everything else covered.
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
44. NOTE: Use a wrench on the flats of the camshaft to hold the camshafts while tightening the VCT assembly bolts.
1. Install the new intake VCT assembly bolts. Torque: Stage 1: 133 lb.in (15 Nm) Stage 2: 90°
2. Install the new exhaust VCT assembly bolt. Torque: Stage 1: 30 lb.ft (40 Nm) Stage 2: Loosen: 360° Stage 3: 20 lb.ft (27 Nm) Stage 4: 150°

For the record, I HATE these TTY bolts with angles. It always feels like I'm doing it wrong.

OP
OP
Gfswindle

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
I'll look for the spec, but out of curiosity... Why are you replacing the phasers.
My phasers drop out randomly and the other day it was bad enough that the car stalled. I've logged with forscan commanded and actual intake angle and the actual angle looks like a rollercoaster on the graph.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My phasers drop out randomly and the other day it was bad enough that the car stalled. I've logged with forscan commanded and actual intake angle and the actual angle looks like a rollercoaster on the graph.
I hope that solves your issue, but I will be very surprised if it does. The coyote phasers seem to be one of the few that Ford got right. Is your issue with exhaust or intake? One or both sides? Is the car tuned?

OP
OP
Gfswindle

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
Randomly one side or the other sometimes both, and only intake. I know it's a lottery at this point but it's time I tried something.

Fun fact this isn't a Ford design. It's a borg Warner off the shelf system. Ford isn't the obly manufacturer that uses this system.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Randomly one side or the other sometimes both, and only intake. I know it's a lottery at this point but it's time I tried something.

Fun fact this isn't a Ford design. It's a borg Warner off the shelf system. Ford isn't the obly manufacturer that uses this system.
Have you looked at oil pressure yet?

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IDK if this is helpful or not, but...

P0012 - A Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Description:
This DTC sets when the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position is over-retarded. This DTC sets when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.​
Possible Causes:
  • VCT unit to camshaft alignment
  • Camshaft timing incorrectly set
  • Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
  • Erratic camshaft position due to low oil pressure
  • Oil flow restriction in the oil passages or the VCT valve body
  • variable camshaft timing bank 1 solenoid 1 (VCT11) valve stuck open
  • VCT11 circuit open
  • VCT11 circuit short to voltage
  • VCT11 circuit short to ground
  • VPWR circuit open
  • Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)
  • Damaged VCT11 phaser
  • Damaged camshaft position bank 1 sensor 1 (CMP11)
  • CMP11 sensor circuits open
  • CMP11 sensor circuits short to voltage
  • CMP11 sensor circuits short to ground
  • Radio frequency interference

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Gfswindle

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
Traded my 15 gt in January of last year, experienced it shortly after in February. Stumbled while stopped at a red light. Did research here on the forums, watched Alex's video on the issue, then datalogged it happening in real time. It's been very intermittent, it'll go weeks and sometimes a month or more between episodes. Everytime it did I'd just cycle the solenoids. This last time though it was consistent enough on a single day to throw a cel within a 5 mile drive and actually stalled on me once. Funny enough hasn't done it since that day last week lol. Been building up courage to take it on myself, car has 90k miles and a very prominent engine decel clatter from the vvt. Replaced exhaust vvt solenoids hoping that might solve that issue but it didn't. I half expect to find broken middle lock pins in the phasers when I autopsy them.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Traded my 15 gt in January of last year, experienced it shortly after in February. Stumbled while stopped at a red light. Did research here on the forums, watched Alex's video on the issue, then datalogged it happening in real time. It's been very intermittent, it'll go weeks and sometimes a month or more between episodes. Everytime it did I'd just cycle the solenoids. This last time though it was consistent enough on a single day to throw a cel within a 5 mile drive and actually stalled on me once. Funny enough hasn't done it since that day last week lol. Been building up courage to take it on myself, car has 90k miles and a very prominent engine decel clatter from the vvt. Replaced exhaust vvt solenoids hoping that might solve that issue but it didn't. I half expect to find broken middle lock pins in the phasers when I autopsy them.
Any updates? If you're at 90K and are in there it's probably a good time to change the primary and secondary chains and the associated guides/tensioners
Sponsored