Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I FINALLY found the time, motivation, and another set of hands to do the CaliperFexion install which, BTW, is a product that was designed and is sold by one of our most illustrious members, @Epiphany.

I had conflicting sources of thread locker cure time so I erred on the side of caution and went with overnight. So, we got that far with the install and tomorrow we'll finish it and also install the PowerStop pads front and rear.

When I swapped lug nuts back in the Spring I wirewheeled the heck out of the hubs that were most rusty. Well, when I pulled the wheels today, it hardly looked like I'd done anything. Dang South Texas humidity (along with the OCD washer/waxer.)

A friend helping me with the install was blown away by the CaliperFection mod and immediately wanted one for his Challenger. :-) It's an obvious mod for the track-oriented folks but even for anyone who would like a much easier brake pad replacment procedure, this is the way to go.

However, I found some disturbing damage from wet rear pads and the rear rotor that I'll cover in what I think needs to be a thread of its own..

So, we got the new studs set in place at the required 5lbs of torque and had just enough thread locker that I didn't need to use some of mine, Tob. :-) Thanks, dude.

Tob was correct, the factory used a liberal amount of thread locker and it took some time to remove the remnants. I had some gun cleaning brush tips designed for use with a cordless and the nylon ones worked perfectly with a few drops of acetone. A bit time-consuming but we got those threads nice and clean.

The rest of the project should be a piece of cake tomorrow, more pics to follow but here are a few from today.

1607215123646.png

1607215161379.png

1607215192904.png

1607217304293.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff Kent. I have to agree with you on how incredible the Caliperfexion kit is. I have done some messing around on my car, and took advantage of the ease it is to remove the calipers. Most here know that I do not track my car, but there is still a huge advantage to using the kit. Not only for the convenience of the time saved, but the engineering & execution of top of the line parts makes my heart feel all snug inside knowing that I have this kit installed.

Melmark93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Kona/White stripes, 93 MarkVIII Vortech, 94 Mark VIII, 13 MKS Ecoboost
For the Iowa winter rust belt, I clean off the rust, liberally apply moly EP grease and rub in/wipe off the excess. People will say I'm crazy, but the moly seems to get into the pores of the metal and prevents future rust. I've had 30 years of rust free hubs. I had to learn the hard way when a hub centric alloy wheel stuck on an '88 Mark VII.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good stuff KB. Point or order however, this is the Mrs' baby. I'm just along for the ride.

Looking forward to part deux!

...the engineering & execution of top of the line parts makes my heart feel all snug inside knowing that I have this kit installed.
It's all about the love between man and machine. Great to know we feel the same way.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
JFC, those hubs are filthy.....

Two words... Fluid Film

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
I don’t believe Powerstop is making rear pads yet. RockAuto has the wrong rear pads listed for our cars if that’s where you got them from.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
That is my understanding too....powerstop website does not list rear brake pads yet and email to them confirmed they should be out in the next 6 months. However rockauto and other parts stores are listing rear pads, but upon investigation they are same pad part numbers as gt350. Since I am not familiar with gt350 I was told they were not the same pads, therefore i concluded parts places have them cross-referenced wrong. If you have rear pads that work I want to know the part numbers.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
That is my understanding too....powerstop website does not list rear brake pads yet and email to them confirmed they should be out in the next 6 months. However rockauto and other parts stores are listing rear pads, but upon investigation they are same pad part numbers as gt350. Since I am not familiar with gt350 I was told they were not the same pads, therefore i concluded parts places have them cross-referenced wrong. If you have rear pads that work I want to know the part numbers.
I may be misunderstanding your question or not up on this conversation but are you looking for a decent set of rear brake pads? Back in May I purchased some G-LOC pads (front and rear GS-1's) because I wanted to cut down on the amount of dust the OEM pads produced and they certainly did. The GS-1's are their HP street pads but they have much more aggressive racing pads too. I purchased them from KNS brakes and yes both front and rear pads do fit.

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/5618_2020+Ford+Mustang+Shelby+GT500

Sponsored
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Btandon: Well, that sucks and no doubt you are correct. I did get them from RA and undoubtedly have the wrong pads. SFD.

Thanks for the heads up, I had read posts about them not being available yet so when they said they were, I thought supply had caught up. SFDD.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Tom. That stuff isn't the same as LPS-3 Rust Inhibitor is it? I have that but wanted to ask before ordering some. Definitely gonna try Mel's idea of moly grease.
Sponsored