Buyer beware!

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
If you plan on running a open CAI(not a closed box) it would be wise to get a water proof prefilter for your filter.... I have the GT350 CAI on my set up and the heat extractor opening sits right above my air filter ... went to start my car and was pulling MAF codes on my car and had no reason why since the MAF is less then 4 months old. Went to check the air filter and it was saturated in water... I pulled the air raid filter dried it out and bought a pre filter bag for it. I haven't had that issue since. It's also worth noting I do not have the stock hood vents on my 2021, I have the Roush hood vents so it would allow more water to get down into under the hood.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Is the stock GT350 box open? I thought it was closed.

All open CAIs are garbage. They're really HAIs.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Is the stock GT350 box open? I thought it was closed.

All open CAIs are garbage. They're really HAIs.
The top is open and seals against the hood. So, theoretically, if it seals around a hood vent water will get in. Although I never had that issue with my gt350 set up so YMMV.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Recently had a storm come through that dropped 2" of rain. Car was parked in the driveway with the front end lower than the rear which allowed water to flow into the airbox through the tiny little hood vent that is on a '17 GT. Ran quite poorly for about 40 miles on the highway.

So... the GT 500 airbox cover should be here from Levittown next Wednesday. I was tiring of the higher IAT from the open box, but the water experience finished the deal. So, I have another lesson in the book.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
If you plan on running a open CAI(not a closed box) it would be wise to get a water proof prefilter for your filter.... I have the GT350 CAI on my set up and the heat extractor opening sits right above my air filter ... went to start my car and was pulling MAF codes on my car and had no reason why since the MAF is less then 4 months old. Went to check the air filter and it was saturated in water... I pulled the air raid filter dried it out and bought a pre filter bag for it. I haven't had that issue since. It's also worth noting I do not have the stock hood vents on my 2021, I have the Roush hood vents so it would allow more water to get down into under the hood.
You should keep or put back on the black plastic parts that go under the hood vent. That directs water away from the air filter. I had same problem and put black plastic part back, problem solved.
Anthiny

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Not a problem with the stock hood vents. Even what water does enter the vent just drains out the bottom of the air box.

It's actually not even a problem for the filter element to get wet. The engine will just pull humid air until it dries out. It's an old Dyno trick to inflate numbers. Humid air gives a slight compression boost since the water it contains is not compressible.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Not a problem with the stock hood vents. Even what water does enter the vent just drains out the bottom of the air box.

It's actually not even a problem for the filter element to get wet. The engine will just pull humid air until it dries out. It's an old Dyno trick to inflate numbers. Humid air gives a slight compression boost since the water it contains is not compressible.
When my filter got soaked the car idled wildly. A/F swung back and forth 2.5 points. Surged at speed. Bucked at takeoff. Must have been really wet. Stock hood vents.

Looking forward to going back to the closed air box. Thinking about adding real hood vents.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
When my filter got soaked the car idled wildly. A/F swung back and forth 2.5 points. Surged at speed. Bucked at takeoff. Must have been really wet. Stock hood vents.

Looking forward to going back to the closed air box. Thinking about adding real hood vents.
What we are calling "hood vents" are properly "heat extractors".

By design, at speed, the pressure behind the bulge (where the blinker is on '16s) lowers and higher pressure, hot air from inside the engine compartment is drawn out. There was a good wind-tunnel smoke test video made a few years back. Kind of a neat design.

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The top is open and seals against the hood. So, theoretically, if it seals around a hood vent water will get in. Although I never had that issue with my gt350 set up so YMMV.
If you use a GT350 airbox on a GT you also need to change the hood liner. It redirects the water so it doesn't drop onto the air filter. Go have a look at a Bullitt or a Mach1 that also have this airbox design. Check the hood liner and you will see what I mean.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
What we are calling "hood vents" are properly "heat extractors".

By design, at speed, the pressure behind the bulge (where the blinker is on '16s) lowers and higher pressure, hot air from inside the engine compartment is drawn out. There was a good wind-tunnel smoke test video made a few years back. Kind of a neat design.
Texas Rebel you are correct. The problem is that the extractors are just not big enough to truly be effective on the GT.

The factory extractors are primarily for looks. Functionally they provide the most minimal heat extraction and an infinitesimal amount of pressure relief from under the hood to reduce lift. Many folks will never drive their cars under track conditions so actual functioning extractors are unnecessary. Not to mention the water ingress problems that would arise from having such. See Race Louvers for a good example.

Not judging here. Just kind of repeating what has been learned by a lot of people who track and race their cars. I learned a long, long time ago to pay attention to the old guys. They might just know what they are doing.

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
with that being said, I had a Roush CAI(closed box) and the gt350 FPP intake ...and my AIT's with both are roughly around 7-9 degrees above ambient temp. So this open box isn't letting in Hot air .. not to mention the intake ram air going to the front grille...in my case I have a after market grille with it wide open in that area and no mesh on it. so it gets plenty of cooler air.

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
with my 21 GT Using the Roush vent's and removing the under hood carpet/blanket I have noticed lower water temps.

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
well, using the prefilter bag has proven great for this .... I've been using it for a couple weeks now and even in down pours of rain ...and I haven't had the issue anymore

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
i was going to do that but my dumb ass threw them away, I ended up just getting that pre filter bag and its doing its job perfectly
Sponsored