Buy or no?

dsprint

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Suman
Vehicle(s)
Flex, Leaf
I don't own a Mustang yet. I've been trying to buy one. The spec I want is apparently a unicorn as I have started to realize. 2015+ convertible with a V6 engine and manual transmission.

One just showed up on the market, one state over. It is a 2017 with just 14k miles and being sold as a CPO with extended warranty. However, I just had a friend in Phoenix area check it out for me and we found some interesting paint details. Somehow body color paint got on the black plastic parts around the bumper. Pics below.

Part of me that really wants the car says.."Paint was added without the bumper ever coming off. It must be some minor stuff." And another part of me is really worried that there may be more I'm not seeing.

Is there any chance that the factory just did a shitty paint job? Any advice?

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_DisplayHistoryRpt.cfm?partner=CHG_0&vin=1FATP8EM8H5331643
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FATP8EM8H5331643

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
CarFax isn’t the tell all end all for unit history. How’s the rest of the conditions... body m, transmission, interior, etc look? What price are they asking. What can you live with vs. not live with? If all that’s holding you back is some spots, these can be cleaned up by a good detailing by yourself or a professional.

OP
OP

dsprint

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Suman
Vehicle(s)
Flex, Leaf
The spots don't really bother me actually. I am just afraid that's a sign of something worse I am not seeing. They are asking $19,500 which I think isn't too bad. And they may come down bit more. It will however cost me some to bring the car here. (Arizona to California).

Rest of the car is in a great shape. CPO warranty covers powertrain through 2024 and bumper-to-bumper through 2021.

It is a base trim and I am certainly okay without fancy audio and leather.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Until you can personally see and touch it you'll not know.
It's been through a lot of auctions. At some point the bumper could have gotten scratched and (poorly) touched up.
Or, it could have had a minor accident and the dealer just fixed it under the radar.
If you like it go see it and take it to someone to put on a lift and check it out.
One thing for sure, you'll never know for certain over the internet

Have you considered an '18+ EcoBoost? More power than the v6 and better fuel economy. I love my '18 EB/A10 convertible.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There is no chance that paint job came from the factory, none! That was done after the fact for some reason by somebody else.

Test drive the thing to death , bring along a friend (mechanic) to also check it out as well.

Of course price is always an issue, looks like for approx the same car Kelly blue book is talking around $17,000.

TC

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Can the friend bring it to a ford dealer and have it thoroughly checked out? Put on a lift, hooked up to the computer for codes etc?

Deleted member 35644

The fact that they painted the bumper cover while mounted tells me that there were rock chips, or perhaps a scuff, that they wanted remedied before putting it up for sale. If there was much physical damage, they would've removed and repaired / replaced. This wouldn't give me pause, but look for something underneath, like new structural, mechanical or body parts. Does the grille appear as if it's been on the car since new? Unless the owner was a professional detailer, you should be able to find dirt in nooks or crannies that wouldn't be there if the grille recently came out of a box.

If you decide to take it, see if they'll throw in a cleanup of the over spray.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's a Ford fleet car. They get used by a lot of drivers. It could have been a car they give to car magazines and car web sites for test drives.

OP
OP

dsprint

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Suman
Vehicle(s)
Flex, Leaf
Thanks for all the great in put, everyone.

It's a Ford fleet car. They get used by a lot of drivers. It could have been a car they give to car magazines and car web sites for test drives.
Given the v6 was anything but hot in 2017 I doubt people cared (to review or to drive hard) much at all that year. I am willing to take a chance there. Particularly since it only had 12k miles when Ford sold it and that it now has a 7 year powertrain warranty.

The fact that they painted the bumper cover while mounted tells me that there were rock chips, or perhaps a scuff, that they wanted remedied before putting it up for sale. If there was much physical damage, they would've removed and repaired / replaced. This wouldn't give me pause, but look for something underneath, like new structural, mechanical or body parts. Does the grille appear as if it's been on the car since new? Unless the owner was a professional detailer, you should be able to find dirt in nooks or crannies that wouldn't be there if the grille recently came out of a box.

If you decide to take it, see if they'll throw in a cleanup of the over spray.
Great thoughts, I will look for those signs.
Have you considered an '18+ EcoBoost? More power than the v6 and better fuel economy. I love my '18 EB/A10 convertible.
I test drove a '19 EB with 10-speed and I did not like it. Couldn't tell if it is the engine or the transmission. I just didn't connect with it. I probably should try the EB with manual.

If not for the covid restrictions, I'd be in Scottsdale now.

Deleted member 35644

Knee troubles be damned, I wish I'd gotten the manual when I traded my perfectly nice '17 V6 on the '18 Eco. This auto transmission, although a good performer when you manhandle it, has been a letdown in other areas.
Sponsored