Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You have poor reading comprehension. The OP didn’t buy the car used. It was a 2018, that passed between 3 dealerships. No, the 2015 doesn’t have the same rattle at all.
I have owned many sports cars, and even had a Mustang GT. I was on a forum for every one. None of them had the amount of complaints as the 2018 members here. Sure, we don’t know what the cause of the rattle really is. But that is a good reason to be cautious when shopping. Warning people that there is an unknown rattling issue isn’t spreading fear, it being honest. It’s moronic to ignore this and pretend it is 100% safe and normal at this point. Until ford says it is safe and explains why it only happens to some cars, it is best to remain cautious.

I do have the rattle, which developed around 1800-2000 miles. I was one of the people claiming the issue was rare. Now I have the same problem, and it’s getting worse. There are about 65 of us on this forum alone. I am also an ex engine development engineer and have a decade devoted to engine technology. I take engine noises seriously, and cylinder wall damage is a big red flag in my world.
I have poor reading comprehension??!! Here is a direct quote from the owner when asked how many miles were on it "1500. It already had 500 miles on it when I picked it up." What do you make of that? As the for the 2015, other than having a much louder exhaust, the "rattle" is pretty darn similar. So similar I would put it in the same category. I am happy you have been on other car forums and did not see 4-5 engine replacements. I guess you never were on BMW Porsche, Jaguar or Mercedes then. Not to mention Chevy or Dodge. I have seen much worse over the years. The good thing is that it seems to me major problems in the car industry as a whole seems to be less than what it use to be. I can remember that the 80's and 90's made stuff today look world class.

I don't think you are as good as you think when it comes to engines, at least stock from the mfr. If you were to get the real truth from any car mfr on major part (engine, trans etc) replacement, you would know that it happens. A certain % will go bad no matter what you do. In some cases the number of failures prompt/require them to remedy the problem (TSB, recall etc). Since there has been no empirical proof yet why any of the engines failed from this site or otherwise it is pure speculation as to the cause. It could be one thing it could be various things. I have no idea why those engines failed, I do know I really don't care (I care for the person though) at this point. I have absolutely no fear, anxiety, caution or whatever other synonym you want to use to purchase one. I look forward to getting it and having some fun with it. If it fails, ah well that sucks, but I will just get it fixed and continue to enjoy it. The odds though are in my favor that it will be just fine.

Since you are having what you believe is an issue where you think your engine will fail, you have my sympathy. I am actually a pretty nice positive person and don't like to see people suffer. In the end, I wish for you the best outcome.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I have poor reading comprehension??!! Here is a direct quote from the owner when asked how many miles were on it "1500. It already had 500 miles on it when I picked it up." What do you make of that? As the for the 2015, other than having a much louder exhaust, the "rattle" is pretty darn similar. So similar I would put it in the same category. I am happy you have been on other car forums and did not see 4-5 engine replacements. I guess you never were on BMW Porsche, Jaguar or Mercedes then. Not to mention Chevy or Dodge. I have seen much worse over the years. The good thing is that it seems to me major problems in the car industry as a whole seems to be less than what it use to be. I can remember that the 80's and 90's made stuff today look world class.

I don't think you are as good as you think when it comes to engines, at least stock from the mfr. If you were to get the real truth from any car mfr on major part (engine, trans etc) replacement, you would know that it happens. A certain % will go bad no matter what you do. In some cases the number of failures prompt/require them to remedy the problem (TSB, recall etc). Since there has been no empirical proof yet why any of the engines failed from this site or otherwise it is pure speculation as to the cause. It could be one thing it could be various things. I have no idea why those engines failed, I do know I really don't care (I care for the person though) at this point. I have absolutely no fear, anxiety, caution or whatever other synonym you want to use to purchase one. I look forward to getting it and having some fun with it. If it fails, ah well that sucks, but I will just get it fixed and continue to enjoy it. The odds though are in my favor that it will be just fine.

Since you are having what you believe is an issue where you think your engine will fail, you have my sympathy. I am actually a pretty nice positive person and don't like to see people suffer. In the end, I wish for you the best outcome.
The OP in that thread bought his car new, not used. He said the 500 miles was due to being transferred between 3 different dealers before he purchased it. Even if the dealers beat on it, that wouldn’t cause cylinder wall scuffing. Besides, it didn’t have the rattle at time of purchase.
I listened to the 2015 video. It sounds nothing like the 2018 rattle and isn’t even in the same operational range. You aren’t even paying attention to the fine details.
I worked for Fiat, Cummins, and now I work for the largest fuel injection manufacturer in the world. I know very well that engines fail. Don’t pretend to know me well enough to judge my experience in the auto industry or with engine troubleshooting. I never stated 4 engine failures was huge. However, the fact that 60+ people on this forum have the rattle, while 60+ do not, means it isn’t normal in all engines and it is present in a fairly large population. I have never been on another car forum with 60+ people complaining about the same issue in the first year.
I never said I think my engine is going to fail. Please stop making things up. I get tired of people in this forum, with no knowledge on the origin of an abnormal engine noise, telling others to just ignore the issue and the 60+ cases here. I am concerned about the noise, but don’t think it is the end of the world. However, I am not going to lie to someone looking to buy this car. There is an abnormality in the engine, and no one knows for sure if that will cause future issues. Many people are experiencing it and it is worth considering before buying.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The OP in that thread bought his car new, not used. He said the 500 miles was due to being transferred between 3 different dealers before he purchased it. Even if the dealers beat on it, that wouldn’t cause cylinder wall scuffing. Besides, it didn’t have the rattle at time of purchase.
I listened to the 2015 video. It sounds nothing like the 2018 rattle and isn’t even in the same operational range. You aren’t even paying attention to the fine details.
I worked for Fiat, Cummins, and now I work for the largest fuel injection manufacturer in the world. I know very well that engines fail. Don’t pretend to know me well enough to judge my experience in the auto industry or with engine troubleshooting. I never stated 4 engine failures was huge. However, the fact that 60+ people on this forum have the rattle, while 60+ do not, means it isn’t normal in all engines and it is present in a fairly large population. I have never been on another car forum with 60+ people complaining about the same issue in the first year.
I never said I think my engine is going to fail. Please stop making things up. I get tired of people in this forum, with no knowledge on the origin of an abnormal engine noise, telling others to just ignore the issue and the 60+ cases here. I am concerned about the noise, but don’t think it is the end of the world. However, I am not going to lie to someone looking to buy this car. There is an abnormality in the engine, and no one knows for sure if that will cause future issues. Many people are experiencing it and it is worth considering before buying.
Ok clearly you know what you are talking about. I still give you my sympathy.

GDDYP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Fastback (ETA 9/15/18), 1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
Every generation of Mustang since I owned my first in 2009 has been accompanied by forums overflowing with doom and gloom stories. If the cars were as bad as the forums make them sound, Ford wouldn't be able to sell them.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yep. I remember the old 99 PI 2 valves where getting rant at start of internet boom. Then the 03/04 cobra where breaking stuff and gloom and doom. Same shit different day. Lol.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Every generation of Mustang since I owned my first in 2009 has been accompanied by forums overflowing with doom and gloom stories. If the cars were as bad as the forums make them sound, Ford wouldn't be able to sell them.
True, doesn't seem many people were around when the 2011 "Yote 1st came out. People bitched about the same issues, My transmission won't shift, My motor ticks, My motor burns oil, My motor blew UP getting on it on my way to work !!!

Yes, there was an issue with the clutch pedal, Ford redesigned it, There were some cars that had the pressure plate bolts back out from being improperly torqued during installation, some motors did tick, either from noisy injectors or bad bearings in some cases,

Some motors burned oil, and from the couple motors I saw tore down that were drinking oil, it looked like the rings were improperly installed at assembly.

Some early motors were melting #8 piston til the tuners got a handle on that. There were also stock tune motors that melted and what happened there is anybodies guess ...

And can't forget the twisted axle tubes ... :)

So yeah, HTF is Ford still selling, or people buying Mustangs in 2018 ??

BTW my new one will be delivered Tuesday ...

Triple_Yellow_Pass_Side.jpg

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Yet they don't seem to be lower than their competition in the 450+ HP sports car world. If I recall correctly their main two rivals (Chevrolet and Dodge) consistently rank lower.

Albeit there may be some years that change.

Ford is never going to be Japanese car quality as the bean counters won't let them. Good luck finding a Japanese QC car with the same specs as a Mustang for the same price though.
Your right on all counts here and that's just lame. If the domestics by now haven't figured out how to duplicate Japanese quality and reliability than they never will and it if it's a bean counter issue then that's really lame. They've been getting their asses kicked in those categories since the 70's and the "big 3" still have far more issues that the the pacific rim cars do. Even the Koreans figured out how to make reliable cars. Unfortunately they don't compete in the area of high performance/V8 sports/muscle cars in the 50k range.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hell, Americans (Deming) taught quality control to the Japanese. But our own auto companies haven't taken that lesson to heart (or have made a shortsighted decision that the product just needs to be "good enough.")
Sponsored