Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I always buy new cars with out hesitation... they come with a warranty.
I am done buying used cars... CPO or not. I'm done with sloppy seconds.
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is my problem with people on this forum. Too many are fine with ignoring noises they don't understand. They always fall back on the warranty, which basically tells me these people beat on the car for a couple years and trade it in.
Not sure if you and B Thunder actually read people's posts or ignore what they say. For my part I am not saying anything about anyone ignoring something they feel is broken. If you think that, take it to the dealer and have them tell you it is broken or not. What I will ignore is anyone that says any noise they hear means their car is broken just because someone else heard a similar noise and said their engine was replaced. Unless you went to the dealer and they confirmed the noise you heard was the same as the other guy and they are replacing your engine, it is just a noise. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. No one has officially proven any particular noise is related to engine failure (or disproven to be fair). Sure do people hear similar noises, yes, but show me the facts that point that every engine with a similar noise will fail. My whole point is to get people to think about it rationally and not worry the sky is falling. I never said they should do nothing.

Ford has issued many TSB's for the 2015 and up Mustang, until they issue one for a tick or rattle sound and it means this is what needs to be done to fix it, just relax. Go to the dealer if it will help make you feel better. Not sure what else you think you can do at this point.

Forums like these are a great way to exchange information, lets just keep it information and not disinformation. The latter can be as detrimental as factual information is beneficial.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm certainly not ignoring it. But, I'm not going to let Ford tear into it or have my car for weeks only to tell me it's normal. Yes, it's a $40K car, but I'm not going to lose sleep or worry about it. I sure don't want it to fail, but at least the warranty covers me if it does. I'd like to have the car for a long time. I had my GTO for 12 years. I beat the hell out of it, but I changed the oil every 3K with full syn and took good care of it. It was in mint shape when I sold it.

As for the Mustang, I don't regret the purchase one single bit. Until we know what's going on (if it's not just a normal characteristic of the beast), I'm going to enjoy it because it's a damn fun car to drive. What else would you suggest we do?
One other thing you mentioned I forgot to say in my last post. You know for a fact that every Mustang GT that has needed an engine replacement out of all the 2015-2019 mustang gt's built, none were modified? Or are you saying only the ones that have been replaced have not been modified? Also, can you state where you are pulling the data? I would love to know what the failure rate is exactly.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
One other thing you mentioned I forgot to say in my last post. You know for a fact that every Mustang GT that has needed an engine replacement out of all the 2015-2019 mustang gt's built, none were modified? Or are you saying only the ones that have been replaced have not been modified? Also, can you state where you are pulling the data? I would love to know what the failure rate is exactly.
You talkin' to me Willis? 'Cause I never said any of that.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Engine noises are relevant when not all cars have them. The engines that have been replaced had cylinder wall scuffing. Just because someone didn't have an engine replaced, doesn't mean their issue is irrelevant. Many Ford dealers don't care to even troubleshoot the issue. Thus, their customers wouldn't even know if the noises mean anything. The engine replacements, thus far, were all on stock vehicles.
I once had a dealership tell me a grinding noise while driving down the road in my S197 was "normal". They were wrong. The transmission was later replaced under warranty due to gear issues (caused by that same dealership). Engine replacement isn't the only time we should be concerned with an issue or unknown noise.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I am not making claims about anything other than 2018 vehicles on this forum. You can gather the data yourself in the issue/warranty section of the forum. There are like 4-5 engine replacements being discussed there. None were modded. We will never know true failure rate. Ford wouldn’t tell that to the public.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am not making claims about anything other than 2018 vehicles on this forum. You can gather the data yourself in the issue/warranty section of the forum. There are like 4-5 engine replacements being discussed there. None were modded. We will never know true failure rate. Ford wouldn’t tell that to the public.
Actually you did make a claim, you just don't realize it. Just try to communicate a little more clearly is all. Will help reduce some un-needed posts :-) .

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Actually you did make a claim, you just don't realize it. Just try to communicate a little more clearly is all. Will help reduce some un-needed posts :-) .
Read carefully. I said I didn’t make a claim about anything other than the 2018 vehicles on the forum. You keep talking about 2015-2018 like they are all related. They aren’t. The common issue seen with the 2018s is the 2k-3k rpm rattle (diesel or piston slap, as some refer to it). This is completely separate from the bbq tick that all years occasionally see. The engine replacements for the 2018s are also specific to the rattle, along with cylinder wall scoring. So, my claims are talking about what we know about the 3rd gen engine issues and failures on this forum.
The bbq tick is not a concern to me. Seems to be mostly at idle, and there are already threads of people able to improve it with oil additives. It is not nearly as common as the rattle in the 2018 vehicles, based on forum replies.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Read carefully. I said I didn’t make a claim about anything other than the 2018 vehicles on the forum. You keep talking about 2015-2018 like they are all related. They aren’t. The common issue seen with the 2018s is the 2k-3k rpm rattle (diesel or piston slap, as some refer to it). This is completely separate from the bbq tick that all years occasionally see. The engine replacements for the 2018s are also specific to the rattle, along with cylinder wall scoring. So, my claims are talking about what we know about the 3rd gen engine issues and failures on this forum.
The bbq tick is not a concern to me. Seems to be mostly at idle, and there are already threads of people able to improve it with oil additives. It is not nearly as common as the rattle in the 2018 vehicles, based on forum replies.
Below was your full post with the claim piece highlighted. Let me know how you think that does not sound like you are claiming all. Based on what you are saying now I get it, but that is why I was just asking to be more careful with what you say. Not everyone has time to look at every post on this site to know your what you are referring to.

Engine noises are relevant when not all cars have them. The engines that have been replaced had cylinder wall scuffing. Just because someone didn't have an engine replaced, doesn't mean their issue is irrelevant. Many Ford dealers don't care to even troubleshoot the issue. Thus, their customers wouldn't even know if the noises mean anything. The engine replacements, thus far, were all on stock vehicles.
I once had a dealership tell me a grinding noise while driving down the road in my S197 was "normal". They were wrong. The transmission was later replaced under warranty due to gear issues (caused by that same dealership). Engine replacement isn't the only time we should be concerned with an issue or unknown noise.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Below was your full post with the claim piece highlighted. Let me know how you think that does not sound like you are claiming all. Based on what you are saying now I get it, but that is why I was just asking to be more careful with what you say. Not everyone has time to look at every post on this site to know your what you are referring to.

I didn’t say I wasn’t making a claim. My claims were specific to the 2018s (the subject of this thread). Why would anyone think I am talking about all S550s, when the subject is the latest gen? We were also talking about the 3-4 engine failures, which could no way be mistaken for all in the field.
Maybe research the subject at hand? If you come in at the end of a thread, you are clearly going to be lost.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I didn’t say I wasn’t making a claim. My claims were specific to the 2018s (the subject of this thread). Why would anyone think I am talking about all S550s, when the subject is the latest gen? We were also talking about the 3-4 engine failures, which could no way be mistaken for all in the field.
Maybe research the subject at hand? If you come in at the end of a thread, you are clearly going to be lost.
So you meant all 2018's? Also, why do you keep bringing up a few engine replacements. Do you know something no one else knows about them or what it means for every other 2018 GT? You will be very popular if you know why those engines failed.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So you meant all 2018's? Also, why do you keep bringing up a few engine replacements. Do you know something no one else knows about them or what it means for every other 2018 GT? You will be very popular if you know why those engines failed.
Once again, reread this whole thread, then research the topic in the issues/warranty section. There are 4 engine replacements in the 2018s on this forum, all related to the rattle. They share the cylinder wall scuffing issue as well. Ford felt the scuffing was bad enough to warrant replacements. None of these were modified vehicles.

There have only been 1-2 engines that detonated, and not due to scuffing. One guy said his engine dropped a valve. However, scuffing damage doesn’t bode well for engine longevity. If the rattle actually ends up related to cylinder wall damage, that’s a serious concern. So far, a couple other guys with the rattle have scoped their engines and seen similar damage, yet their dealerships don’t want to investigate. So over 50% of the 2018s on this forum that took part in the survey claim to have the rattle, and we still have no idea what exactly causes it and what it means for long term engine reliability. IMO, that’s something to be concerned about when shopping for a new car, especially a car you are going to want to modify.

Good place to start reading up on the issue. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nder-damage-pics-ford-buyback-process.102509/

Last edited:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Once again, reread this whole thread, then research the topic in the issues/warranty section. There are 4 engine replacements in the 2018s on this forum, all related to the rattle. They share the cylinder wall scuffing issue as well. Ford felt the scuffing was bad enough to warrant replacements. None of these were modified vehicles.

There have only been 1-2 engines that detonated, and not due to scuffing. One guy said his engine dropped a valve. However, scuffing damage doesn’t bode well for engine longevity. If the rattle actually ends up related to cylinder wall damage, that’s a serious concern. So far, a couple other guys with the rattle have scoped their engines and seen similar damage, yet their dealerships don’t want to investigate. So over 50% of the 2018s on this forum that took part in the survey claim to have the rattle, and we still have no idea what exactly causes it and what it means for long term engine reliability. IMO, that’s something to be concerned about when shopping for a new car, especially a car you are going to want to modify.

Good place to start reading up on the issue. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nder-damage-pics-ford-buyback-process.102509/
Wow, really, you want to start with that one? That guy bought it used. No way to know what happened to it before he had it. As for the rattle, it seems you are going through a very myopic view as engine replacement is not just a 2018 thing regardless of the noise it made before being replaced.

Here is a link to a 2015 with the same noise as what you posted and it is a 2015 https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-noise-mustang-gt-2015.108510/

Do you have this rattle? Seems you are very invested in it. My investment is to just stop the spreading fear (all in the way something is stated).....like the OP of this thread was/is feeling. Buy a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, 911, M3 etc and you would always need to worry if you get the tiny % of engines that were destined to fail. the odds though is that you will not have that problem which to me means don't worry about buying. It is either that or buy a Camry.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Wow, really, you want to start with that one? That guy bought it used. No way to know what happened to it before he had it. As for the rattle, it seems you are going through a very myopic view as engine replacement is not just a 2018 thing regardless of the noise it made before being replaced.

Here is a link to a 2015 with the same noise as what you posted and it is a 2015 https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-noise-mustang-gt-2015.108510/

Do you have this rattle? Seems you are very invested in it. My investment is to just stop the spreading fear (all in the way something is stated).....like the OP of this thread was/is feeling. Buy a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, 911, M3 etc and you would always need to worry if you get the tiny % of engines that were destined to fail. the odds though is that you will not have that problem which to me means don't worry about buying. It is either that or buy a Camry.
You have poor reading comprehension. The OP didn’t buy the car used. It was a 2018, that passed between 3 dealerships. No, the 2015 doesn’t have the same rattle at all.
I have owned many sports cars, and even had a Mustang GT. I was on a forum for every one. None of them had the amount of complaints as the 2018 members here. Sure, we don’t know what the cause of the rattle really is. But that is a good reason to be cautious when shopping. Warning people that there is an unknown rattling issue isn’t spreading fear, it being honest. It’s moronic to ignore this and pretend it is 100% safe and normal at this point. Until ford says it is safe and explains why it only happens to some cars, it is best to remain cautious.

I do have the rattle, which developed around 1800-2000 miles. I was one of the people claiming the issue was rare. Now I have the same problem, and it’s getting worse. There are about 65 of us on this forum alone. I am also an ex engine development engineer and have a decade devoted to engine technology. I take engine noises seriously, and cylinder wall damage is a big red flag in my world.
Sponsored