bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So once past 1500km, you're not breaking it in anymore - go nuts! :)
First track day was at 1526 km for me changed my oil at 6000 km car is currently at 8000 km no issues with it besides the fact that is smoking fast :) Stop light to stop light made a A8 4.2TDI look like a Golf :D
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thoughts? How do you guys drive your new cars off the lot?
Day 7 of ownership took it autocrossing (just swapped wheels) - during which it had multiple trips to redline. It was still on temp tags. Friend recently brought one with dealer plates still on it (green PP2). Car works fine, no ticking or other BS.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Beat it like it owes you money.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
5338940-4482191281-get-t.jpg

All this babying crap. Get that crap outta here!

Smash the pedal all the way to the floor leaving the dealership and then do donuts right outside the dealership in the street. No need to baby this car. If anything happens, that's what a warranty is for. If there's a problem, you have 3 years and 36k miles(at the least, 5 years and 60k miles on the powertrain) to figure it out. If it's gonna break, it's probably gonna break in the first few months or a few thousand miles. This ain't a BMW or Mercedes(that's a good thing, they are POS's).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Broke mine in per the manual. Under 4k rpm for 500 miles and then 4500 till 1000 miles. Changed oil at 1000 miles and drove it home like I was being chased by a T-Rex. I have the BBQ tick but mainly during warm up? And the 2k rattle, although the 2k rattle was there when I drove it home the first day sooo. If I could do it again, I'd do the same thing, I'm a damn sheep SMH...lol

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Warm it up fully and let it eat.

This has worked for every new car I've bought (and there's been many), and any engine I've built for that matter. Never an issue, never an oil burner.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I always get a kick out these threads......Its either change the oil before you leave the dealer lot and twice on the way home & then leave a brick on the pedal for 24 hours to change the oil before the turn of the next century & push the car around like it was a shopping cart LOL. And it seems whatever camp you're in the cars seem to be largely fine. Add to that most average Joe's just get in the car they bought with little regard to break-in at all and their car seems to be fine too.

So I don't know I just do what I do with mine & hope I got a good one. I don't believe I'm the deciding factor in whether it goes or it blows:)

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How would you break in a Cobra Jet ?
How many Cobra Jets will ever see 100,000 miles even if you ignore engine refreshes/rebuilds as essentially being new engines with their own break-in sequences?

On second thought, how many Cobra Jets will it take for their combined mileage to add up to 100,000?

Norm

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
How many Cobra Jets will ever see 100,000 miles even if you ignore engine refreshes/rebuilds as essentially being new engines with their own break-in sequences?

On second thought, how many Cobra Jets will it take for their combined mileage to add up to 100,000?

Norm
A 100K at a 1/4 mile at a time will take a while.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I trailered mine home, unloaded it and returned the trailer to U-Haul. Returned to the house, backed out of the driveway and idled down the dirt road to the blacktop and drove like I had an egg under my right foot about a 1/4 mile to an open stretch of blacktop while I figured out the toggles, and then I tried to slam my foot throught the floor...break-in is DONE and now the steering wheel is hard to move with the pecker drag.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on my fifth new Mustang. "Broke in" according to Mr Ford's instructions, then raised the approach to redline a few hundred revs a day for an additional five hundred miles. After that, no holds barred. Never a twitch or whimper from any of them, and I could testify in all honesty that I had done it the Owner's Manual way.

I must have posted this a dozen times: the mystery of why we need to vary the speed on a new engine might have to do with changing cylinder-wall and other lubrication characteristics. I know the experts spoke of this before modern metallurgy and oil properties, and wonder if it's still a valid thing to look at.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm on my fifth new Mustang. "Broke in" according to Mr Ford's instructions, then raised the approach to redline a few hundred revs a day for an additional five hundred miles. After that, no holds barred. Never a twitch or whimper from any of them, and I could testify in all honesty that I had done it the Owner's Manual way.

I must have posted this a dozen times: the mystery of why we need to vary the speed on a new engine might have to do with changing cylinder-wall and other lubrication characteristics. I know the experts spoke of this before modern metallurgy and oil properties, and wonder if it's still a valid thing to look at.
Varying the speed is still necessary - it's mostly about the effect rpms have on where the oil gets splashed against and where it doesn't. Think in terms of local hot-spotting if oil splash doesn't reach every surface at least occasionally.

It must be nice to be blissfully unaware of things like ring end gaps that could close up if the rings get too hot and the gap is just a little too tight. While that's more of a "blueprint build with file-fit rings" matter, I'm not willing to assume that every ring in every production engine starts out with at least a just-barely-adequate amount of end gap.

Norm

DesertRat5115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Velocity Blue Stock + 275/40R18-9.5 Square
My car is seriously abused and it just rolled 800 miles. Don't change your oil or you will have ticking and heavy oil usage. This is my 3rd Coyote and the first two used very little oil had no real issues because they were broke in hard.
I do the first oil change between 7 & 8 K.
Sort of how I'm seeing it as well. Of course Ford wants everyone to play it extra safe, and it's certainly not going to hurt to do so, but once you've looked at the type of torture testing the coyote has endured with the engine left functionally perfect afterwards, it's pretty unlikely in my view that running your car hard several times in the first 1,000 miles is going to have some lasting / significant impact. I'm not out pushing the car to redline every day but I've done it 5-6 times (all after the 300 mile mark) in the first 1,000 miles and I'm not going to worry about it. I've driven every other new performance car that I've owned this way (including turbos) and every car was in excellent condition by every measure when sold. If Ford really thought that hitting redline in the first 1,000 miles was likely to cause significant harm they would program-out the ability to do so, just as they have the ability to hit redline in neutral (which all agree is a horrible thing to do). Many, myself included, want to feel and show-off those 460 horses after spending that money and may not feel like waiting a month or two and that's probably exactly why there is no such limit imposed by the computer. The engine may be a bit less perfect at 100K than it would have been with a more gentle break-in admittedly, but I won't own it then, and it will have been long-since traded in on the next generation. Every month owned is going to be a blast, and I have enough warranty to cover my expected ownership, so not worried. The line about not "driving too fast" during break-in gave me a chuckle. I'm pretty sure that driving for hours at a steady 100 MPH rumbling along at 2500 RPM or whatever that works out to in tenth gear is nothing for the engine compared to high RPM romps.

Huck FInn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2nd Engine
Got just over 2500 km's on the car now. A few of my friends always ask me when I shift into the higher RPMs, "Whoah, aren't you breaking the car in still?"

I've always driven brand new vehicle's off the lot like I would drive them for their entire life. That being said, I don't abuse or bag them, but I'm not afraid to take them into the higher RPM's out of the gate.

I have to admit though, I did make a mistake once inside of 1000 km's and took this car into the red line. I got a little carrier away. (There seems to be something in the cars computer software though that limits you from going any further into the red line once you hit it though, I thought that was a pretty neat fail safe feature.)

Anyway, so far this car hums along like a champ, no odd sounds or noises. But I did wonder if perhaps driving it like this so new was being a bit abusive? But on the other hand my gut says run it, their built for this.

Thoughts? How do you guys drive your new cars off the lot?
Ford is right - out of the showroom vary speed, don't rev high, no hard throttle, and especially, don't ever lug the engine! On my '12 GT PP I changed oil at 500 miles, switching to full synthetic for the life of the car. Changed oil again at 1,500 miles, then next at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles since. Car presently has 222,000 miles, burns no oil, and on a 400 mile trip last Thursday averaged 28.9 MPG. Maybe all of this isn't necessary, but obviously none of it hurt my Mustang and the only repairs to the car have been the oil pressure sender at 216,000 miles and the clutch release bearing at 220,000 miles. Oh yes, and front wheel bearings but I blame that on the crappy roads and streets in Minnesota.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Sort of how I'm seeing it as well. Of course Ford wants everyone to play it extra safe, and it's certainly not going to hurt to do so, but once you've looked at the type of torture testing the coyote has endured with the engine left functionally perfect afterwards, it's pretty unlikely in my view that running your car hard several times in the first 1,000 miles is going to have some lasting / significant impact. I'm not out pushing the car to redline every day but I've done it 5-6 times (all after the 300 mile mark) in the first 1,000 miles and I'm not going to worry about it. I've driven every other new performance car that I've owned this way (including turbos) and every car was in excellent condition by every measure when sold. If Ford really thought that hitting redline in the first 1,000 miles was likely to cause significant harm they would program-out the ability to do so, just as they have the ability to hit redline in neutral (which all agree is a horrible thing to do). Many, myself included, want to feel and show-off those 460 horses after spending that money and may not feel like waiting a month or two and that's probably exactly why there is no such limit imposed by the computer. The engine may be a bit less perfect at 100K than it would have been with a more gentle break-in admittedly, but I won't own it then, and it will have been long-since traded in on the next generation. Every month owned is going to be a blast, and I have enough warranty to cover my expected ownership, so not worried. The line about not "driving too fast" during break-in gave me a chuckle. I'm pretty sure that driving for hours at a steady 100 MPH rumbling along at 2500 RPM or whatever that works out to in tenth gear is nothing for the engine compared to high RPM romps.

In 2010 I bought a raptor with the 6.2L brand new and it was toned down on purpose for the first 10-15 key turns. After those, it gave all the 400hp. So can program a similar thing in all their cars even if it's push button instead of turning a key.
Sponsored