Break in, what break in?

bozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rdsc.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Got just over 2500 km's on the car now. A few of my friends always ask me when I shift into the higher RPMs, "Whoah, aren't you breaking the car in still?"

I've always driven brand new vehicle's off the lot like I would drive them for their entire life. That being said, I don't abuse or bag them, but I'm not afraid to take them into the higher RPM's out of the gate.

I have to admit though, I did make a mistake once inside of 1000 km's and took this car into the red line. I got a little carrier away. (There seems to be something in the cars computer software though that limits you from going any further into the red line once you hit it though, I thought that was a pretty neat fail safe feature.)

Anyway, so far this car hums along like a champ, no odd sounds or noises. But I did wonder if perhaps driving it like this so new was being a bit abusive? But on the other hand my gut says run it, their built for this.

Thoughts? How do you guys drive your new cars off the lot?
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Do yourself a big favor and change the oil proto. I changed mine at 220 miles, again at 600 miles, and then at 1K. Why? You should have seen the metal crud that was in the catch pan in the first two changes. The oil filters did not catch this metal so I did not want to risk future ticking, rattles, or oil consumption. I also added a catch can from Ford Performance to keep the PCV oil out of the intake. It really works well. Good Luck as always!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Do yourself a big favor and change the oil proto. I changed mine at 220 miles, again at 600 miles, and then at 1K. Why? You should have seen the metal crud that was in the catch pan in the first two changes. The oil filters did not catch this metal so I did not want to risk future ticking, rattles, or oil consumption. I also added a catch can from Ford Performance to keep the PCV oil out of the intake. It really works well. Good Luck as always!
catch pan? did you take the whole oil pan off?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Actually, from what I've read, break in is more about varying speeds and not cruising for long periods at a single speed. Maybe your method speeds up the process. My break in was a 6 state road journey from 45 MPH back roads on hills, to 80 MPH in southwest Texas and all points in between over 3500 miles. Elevations ranged from 36' in south Louisiana to 7400' at the Grand Canyon. What a blast!

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
My car is seriously abused and it just rolled 800 miles. Don't change your oil or you will have ticking and heavy oil usage. This is my 3rd Coyote and the first two used very little oil had no real issues because they were broke in hard.
I do the first oil change between 7 & 8 K.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bozzy

bozzy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rdsc.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I forgot to mention that. At about 700km's in I changed the oil and filter to Mobil 1 synthetic. I was actually thinking about doing it again now just to see if there's anything in the oil... I also added a catch can at about 800kms.

Actually, from what I've read, break in is more about varying speeds and not cruising for long periods at a single speed. Maybe your method speeds up the process. My break in was a 6 state road journey from 45 MPH back roads on hills, to 80 MPH in southwest Texas and all points in between over 3500 miles. Elevations ranged from 36' in south Louisiana to 7400' at the Grand Canyon. What a blast!
Thats kinda what I figure. I just went on a 1600km round trip through the Okanagan Valley so I was able to do a bunch of varying speeds and elevations. Was a fun trip in the car for sure...

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's what the owner's manual says about break-in:

Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

So once past 1500km, you're not breaking it in anymore - go nuts! :)

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Also i forgot to tell you to pick up two or more plastic oil pan drain plugs in case you wreck the one during an oil change. They are cheap enough and i have one in the trunk and one back at the garage. The ten quarts comes out flying from a larger than normal drain hole.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
My car is seriously abused and it just rolled 800 miles. Don't change your oil or you will have ticking and heavy oil usage. This is my 3rd Coyote and the first two used very little oil had no real issues because they were broke in hard.
I do the first oil change between 7 & 8 K.
This is my 3rd Coyote and none of them have used oil or ticked "because" I followed the Ford recommended break in procedure before using them "to the rev limiter frequently" hard. First oil change on my 18 was at 2200 miles. I don't recall on the 12 or 15 but certainly no more than 5000 miles :) :)

Obviously results vary. :)

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
How would you break in a Cobra Jet ?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Here's how you break in a new car:

1. Drive it off the lot as if you were going to the store to get a loaf of milk.

2. While on your way to get this imaginary loaf of milk, watch to make sure the engine oil and coolant are up to operating temperature.

3. Once the fluids are up to operating temperature, find a desolate road away from the prying eyes of Johnny Law.

4. Leave the traction control on, and make at least ten, full-throttle 1/4 mile runs while shifting at or just below the red-line RPM.

5. Drive home and change the oil using a well-known, name-brand 5w-30 oil and a Motorcraft filter.

Your break-in is now complete. And no, I'm not kidding.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There’s more ways to break in a car than there is to skin a cat.

No offense to our resident cat members.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
My cars oil was changed ar 22km due to geting the SC installed. Has 900km now and has not used any oil and the oil is quite clean. I have gone WOT once but vary the speed all the time at the moment. I dont let it sit in 9th or 10th gear hardly ever as this labours the engine to much for my liking. I let it get warm, then drive it like I normally would but dont go crazy. Will most liklely do an oil change at around 2500kms.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ford says don’t drive at 120. They want to make sure we got all the bolts tight.

Ford says don’t put it in 6th gear and drive at 60 for a 1000 miles.

Outside that I think anything goes.

Don’t worry about hurting this engine.

Change oil at 2500 and go to full synthetic at 7500.
Sponsored