Sponsored

Engine break in

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
So pickup time is approaching and I need input on how to best break in the engine. I'll be driving 600km home from the dealer and need to know how to handle my new car :)

I've read various comments from "baby it" to "drive it like you stole it"... nobody seems to have the "proper" solution? (I tried searching here, but the search engine must be daft or something because I couldn't find it :D)

I'll be having it in Snow/Wet mode I guess, it's an auto and I'll be using the regular Drive mode...

suggestions?
Sponsored

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, I have ordered exactly the same combination in race red.

Not too much effort. Just keep rpm in normal around 3000-3500 . Actually leave the Auto do its job in D mode . Obviously no flooring the pedal.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Yeah, and for the first 1000 km try and variate the RPM. So don't drive all 600km at 2500. Don't floor it, it's a machine and needs to be broken in.

Zymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Drive like you usually would, don't rev too hard and you'll be fine. I don't think you will push it in this climate though, too much torque in the engine. The rear will slip for sure. :D

Good luck and drive safely!

Sponsored

OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Keep in mind I can't go over 90 :) max legal speed limit so I guess I'll be cruising at 2500 rpm quite a bit :/

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
this worked for all the new motorcycles I owned thru the years and also worked for my GT Premium. However it already had 20 mile on it before delivery. You have to keep the rpm's high to generate enough pressure to seat the rings properly. Otherwise it will end up burning oil.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Beat it like it owes you money a lot. Tons of higher rpm engine braking and varying speeds on the highway. Ive broken all my engines like this over the past 30 years. Piston rings always have seated very well and rarely had any cars consume oil. At most half a quart in 5000 miles. Those were on a couple turbo applications. Ive also broken in all my built motors like this as well or on a dyno.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Beat it like it owes you money a lot. Tons of higher rpm engine braking and varying speeds on the highway. Ive broken all my engines like this over the past 30 years. Piston rings always have seated very well and rarely had any cars consume oil. At most half a quart in 5000 miles. Those were on a couple turbo applications. Ive also broken in all my built motors like this as well or on a dyno.
This. It's the only way I've ever broken in any of my motors.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
There are a ton of these threads. I put a Whipple on mine at 500 miles and haven't had any issues.

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Drive aggressively but not abusive. A couple high RPM engine braking runs in the first 100 miles. Stay and vary load as much as possible.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
this worked for all the new motorcycles I owned thru the years and also worked for my GT Premium. However it already had 20 mile on it before delivery. You have to keep the rpm's high to generate enough pressure to seat the rings properly. Otherwise it will end up burning oil.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Most people are scared to do this type of breakin but I can assure you, you actually FEEL the power building with each pull!!

I do a 3rd gear 30mph to 5500 RPM pull and let the engine slow the car down back to 30mph then wick it HARD again to 5500 RPM, let the engine slow the car......don't use the brakes. Minimum of 10 times.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Vary rpm and load. I would keep it below 4000rpm and no full throttle. For the first 1000 miles. No higher than 5000rpm till 2000 miles. Change oil at 2000miles and then you can hit 6000rpm.
Make sure engine and transmission are fully warmed up.

OP
OP

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
See all the conflicting info I'm getting here? :D

Keep in mind I'll be keeping this engine for ever and ever and ever...

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Why not follow the recommendation in the owner's manual? :-)
Sponsored