Sponsored

Brake shields??

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
I've got a 2018 GT (non PP) that I put PP brembos on. I was struggling big time last track day with overheating the brakes. I put PP lower control arms on it recently which have the brake air deflectors on them, do the PP cars use a full rotor dust shield??

Seems like not a ton of air will reach the rotor with these. I am assuming it is to keep gravel / radiant heat away from the balljoints too. Wondering if you guys are using them or not.

Also went with 2 pc rotor so this should help quite a bit with cooling .
Sponsored

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
yes they use a different shield as well as a different belly pan to divert air toward the deflectors on the arms

OP
OP
NavsENG

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes they use a different shield as well as a different belly pan to divert air toward the deflectors on the arms
I've seen the undertray. I'll probably modify mine to get more air to the deflectors. What's different about the brake shields I cannot seem to find a pic. Maybe I'll just put some holes in my stock ones to get some air to the rotors

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
FR3Z 2K004-C and FR3Z 2K005-C these should be the part numbers youre looking for and theyre fairly cheap

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
The brake air deflectors need the air ducts in the front underbelly to fully work. The air ducts are only in the PP underbelly but not in the non PP one. This requires a different front spoiler as well.

Did you check from where the rotors draw the air? The stock ones get the air from the outer side, my 2 pc rotors from the inner side. When the air needs to come from the inner side, the full size dust shield should be replaced by the GT350 version which are way smaller.

Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
What pads? Pads are the “easy button” to improve performance on track.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
The brake air deflectors need the air ducts in the front underbelly to fully work. The air ducts are only in the PP underbelly but not in the non PP one. This requires a different front spoiler as well.

Did you check from where the rotors draw the air? The stock ones get the air from the outer side, my 2 pc rotors from the inner side. When the air needs to come from the inner side, the full size dust shield should be replaced by the GT350 version which are way smaller.
The smaller rotor shields are used for cars with manual transmissions. Full-sized rotor shields are used for cars with automatic transmissions. The bigger shields prevent the automatics from fluid overheating.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
The smaller rotor shields are used for cars with manual transmissions. Full-sized rotor shields are used for cars with automatic transmissions. The bigger shields prevent the automatics from fluid overheating.
Which fluids should overheat with the small shields? And how does it relate to the automatic transmission?

Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Can you please explain this? The ATF lines are not even close to the brakes and there is always something in between the lines and the rotors.
I just want to understand the issue, because I am running this setup and maybe I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NavsENG

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR3Z 2K004-C and FR3Z 2K005-C these should be the part numbers youre looking for and theyre fairly cheap
Awesome thanks for the part numbers.

yes these rotors will pull from the inside. They are girodisc

What pads? Pads are the “easy button” to improve performance on track.
I was using a track day brake kit. New setup is girodisc rotors and gloc r12 pads. I think this will be a large improvement

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
The PP rotors are cooled from the i.d. outward. So I modified my dust shield by notching the area in direct line with the air deflector. I painted the deflector with a hard epoxy, so that it would chip easily if hit , that way I could tell how much heavy debris gets thrown into the rotors and hub bearing (very little by the way). So far I like this mod. Even with the stock PP brembo pads the breaks kept their cool pretty well

20191222_175759.jpg

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
what goes into removing the brake shields?

The PP rotors are cooled from the i.d. outward. So I modified my dust shield by notching the area in direct line with the air deflector. I painted the deflector with a hard epoxy, so that it would chip easily if hit , that way I could tell how much heavy debris gets thrown into the rotors and hub bearing (very little by the way). So far I like this mod. Even with the stock PP brembo pads the breaks kept their cool pretty well

20191222_175759.jpg

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
like 3 bolts. Once you take the rotor off you will see how simple it is.
Sponsored