Brake pad change question. (brembos)

ALLSTOCK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Sorry if this has been posted already.

What is the service interval for brake pads? In particular the brembo front ones. (on the pp1/pp2 cars)

Do calipers need to be changed along with the pads?

Do the non brembo rear brakes need to be serviced sooner or later?

Thanks!

Advertisement

kz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Sorry if this has been posted already.

What is the service interval for brake pads? In particular the brembo front ones. (on the pp1/pp2 cars)

Do calipers need to be changed along with the pads?

Do the non brembo rear brakes need to be serviced sooner or later?

Thanks!
There is not service interval for the pads and certainly not for the calipers. Only thing you do is check remaining pad thickness and measure rotors (thickness as well). Replace calipers with the pads ???? I am not sure if you are joking....

rob_s

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The service interval is when they're worn. If you're a light braker you might get tens of thousands of miles out of a set. If you do a 3-day track weekend you'll probably go through a fresh set and into a second set. If they're worn down so that the groove disappears or the little metal tab starts making noise against the rotor, they're due. I've found that the rear pads last a lot longer. I'm probably getting close to the end of my second set of front pads and the original rears still have plenty of life.

None2Slow

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Not to hijack, but which pads are popular for a daily driver with the brembos? Which rotors?

Elp_jc

Reaction score
First Name
JC
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
I have less than 1K miles on my Bullitt, and it brakes great, but the amount of dust is just insane. Is there a recommended pad that won't affect braking performance much, but with less dust? And if I change the front pads, do I need to change the rear too? Since the rear calipers are not performance ones, maybe they have a more street oriented pad, but wouldn't mind changing both if needed. By the way, the brakes on this car are a bit grabbier than I like, so if I lose a bit of that with less track oriented pads, I wouldn't mind :). Thank you.

OF5.0

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have less than 1K miles on my Bullitt, and it brakes great, but the amount of dust is just insane. Is there a recommended pad that won't affect braking performance much, but with less dust? And if I change the front pads, do I need to change the rear too? Since the rear calipers are not performance ones, maybe they have a more street oriented pad, but wouldn't mind changing both if needed. By the way, the brakes on this car are a bit grabbier than I like, so if I lose a bit of that with less track oriented pads, I wouldn't mind :). Thank you.
Power Stop Z26 pads front and rear. The Z26 pads are ceramic so there will be significantly less dust. They are slightly less grabby than the stock pads. Rockauto.com usually has the best price.

Thub

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
I second the vote for the Z26. They've got a little less bite, but plenty of power ultimately. Dust is basically nonexistent, and the pedal feels a little firmer too.

Elp_jc

Reaction score
First Name
JC
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
I'm probably going to go with the Z23s, which use the same compound as the Z26s, but are less prone to noise, with a rubbery (or plasticky?) backing. Same pad thickness and dimensions, same wear indicators, and about half the price. But what made them more attractive to me is the backing is black. The Z26s look like crap with their shiny silver backing, although that's only a 'problem' on the rear calipers. Need to check the torque of the rear axle nuts, to make sure they're not loose, like on many cars.

Genxer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of rotor wear are you experiencing with ceramic pads? I had a set on another car of mine and they ate the rotor over time. Haven't gone back to them since.

Advertisement

18 - Vossen Wheels - 1

Advertisement