Oil Change Question

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Is there any specific reason for doing this? I have a new 17 GT/CS as well and I have between 3-4K on it and haven't changed the oil yet.
Nope. Just someone thinking they know more than the people that actually designed and built the car. Follow service manual recommendations. Don't listen to anyone else.
Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Is there any specific reason for doing this? I have a new 17 GT/CS as well and I have between 3-4K on it and haven't changed the oil yet.
Purely for peace of mind, and because oil changes are cheap insurance (and enjoyable for many of us).

If you run an oil analysis after your first oil change, it's highly likely that metal content within that sample will be above normal. No manufacturing process is perfect, and these imperfections are likely going to get pushed into the oil pan during the first few hundred miles of driving (in theory, the very first time that the engine is started up).

Will these metal particles cause engine damage? Almost certainly not. That's what your oil filter is there for.

If you don't do your own oil changes, then don't bother with the first early oil change that many enthusiasts do. You're going to pay enough at the shop for your 5-10k interval changes as is.

However, if you do your own oil changes, then you're looking at $30-40 to clean out that oil pan and give peace of mind.

There are worse ways to enjoy a couple of beers on a Saturday afternoon ;)

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Yes..if your concerned about new engine break-in particles being in your filter...I wasn't,.. so I did my first change at 5,000 mi.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Purely for peace of mind, and because oil changes are cheap insurance (and enjoyable for many of us).
Gotcha. I can do my own oil changes. I was just making sure I didn't miss something in the owner's manual about changing the oil.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Gotcha. I can do my own oil changes. I was just making sure I didn't miss something in the owner's manual about changing the oil.
Nah - and I doubt you'll find any owner's manual stating to do the first oil change at 1000 miles or less. Stating so would imply that they have little faith in their oil filters.

If money is super tight, I wouldn't worry too much about the oil change. I use it as an excuse to get to know the vehicle that I will hopefully be driving for many years to come, and as I mentioned before, I enjoy taking things apart and getting my hands dirty (although oil changes are about as simple as things get).

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I wonder what the equivalent dead horse topic will be when we're all driving electric mustangs?

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
i'd take it out a few nights on the highway, break it in Correctly, to 500 miles, change the oil and the filter, run it around the block, then put it away.

this is the best Break in procedure I've seen, and i used it on my 392 and the New GT. Neither has burned a drop of oil. From the Dodge 392 manual.:

I do it in about 150 mile trips over the course of a few nights on the highway. Varying engine speeds, short runs under load when called for to the max RPMs at millage. Exercise the full range of the RPMs is the fun part.

For vehicles equipped with the 6.4L use the following engine break-in recommendations:
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of
the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first
500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the
new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55mph (88km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70mph (112km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher
rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85mph (136km/h) and observe local speed limits.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I bought the car and then moved into a townhouse with a single car width driveway. Rather than parking it along the street or shuffling cars everyday, I chose to leave it in a garage at my parents.

I don't want to sell the car. Plus, I already have too much money in modifications.
No need to explain to anyone here about your driving habits. Just ignore those offering life lessons or telling you what to do with YOUR Mustang.:crazy:
It's yours and do with it what you please.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I wonder what the equivalent dead horse topic will be when we're all driving electric mustangs?
It would be like you need to keep no lower than 30% of the charge for the first 1000 miles or you will reduce the life of the battery. Keeping no lower than 30% until 1000 miles then you can go no lower than 20% but make sure you don't charge to unless it's between 20% to 60% will prolong the life of the battery.:lol:

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I thought this is what the oil life monitor is for? Ford could not have made this easier...and it's probably what they would use if a warranty issue came up. Did you change the oil when the monitor said to? Well let's just ask the car...

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I thought this is what the oil life monitor is for? Ford could not have made this easier...and it's probably what they would use if a warranty issue came up. Did you change the oil when the monitor said to? Well let's just ask the car...
Dont think they would really know that one... when you're prompted for an oil change all you gotta do is reset it. ..I've had my oil change warning come on too early for my oil changing schedule. I reset it and go on driving.

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Seems the opposite for me, like I should have changed it already but still waiting. I guess just like money, you either believe in it or don't.

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
1000 to first change, 5-6000 after that. With that much oil, if you use a quality synthetic, you could probably go 10k between changes, as a daily driver. Had a MBZ slk 'vert with the V6, that thing took 8 quarts to!! the other owner had done the factory 10k changes with full synthetic. It had well over 100k miles on it, engine was running perfect. my Ranger's 2.3l only takes 4 quarts with filter,change it every 6k with a full snyth and at 115k it shows every sign it will make it to 200k!. Oil is the Life blood of an Engine.

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just change it. $36 MC 5w20 and $7 oil filter is not that much money. Full tank of gas worth more.
Sponsored