Sponsored

Oil change question

2015GaTor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mag. PP 6sd
Was wondering if a few could chime in that have done their own oil changes on a pp 5.0. When you changed the oil and oil filter were you able to remove the cover plate made of plastic that is all part of the same piece that on one end has the access door to the oil filter without taking the big skid plate off first? The reason I ask is the big skid plate has about 15 screws and push pins in it, for which I could like to avoid next time. It was a real pain in the ass to take it off and now I am thinking I might not have needed to. Might be able to slide the smaller plate another way but not sure I can get it out without all the other fuss. Any help is a appreciated.
Sponsored

dfrost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp Guard.
If your car is GTPP, it has a small door to remove the oil filter, no need to remove the entire skid plate. There is a post somewhere here with good pics etc...

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Yeah there's an access panel with a single screw to get to the filter. You don't have to remove anything but the screw to gain access.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I am close to having the first oil change...free from my dealer. After that I want to change my own oil and filter. I don't have a lift at home. Is there room to drain oil and change filter if I drive the Mustang onto a couple of wheel ramps? Will I catch the rear under-body driving up onto front wheel ramps?

Sponsored

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
I am close to having the first oil change...free from my dealer. After that I want to change my own oil and filter. I don't have a lift at home. Is there room to drain oil and change filter if I drive the Mustang onto a couple of wheel ramps? Will I catch the rear under-body driving up onto front wheel ramps?
Ramps will work just fine, pretty much everyone that changes their own oil is either using jack stands or ramps when they change it. Ill be real jelly if anyone actually has a lift at their house lol

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Premium w PP & Corsa Xtreme
Ramps will work just fine, pretty much everyone that changes their own oil is either using jack stands or ramps when they change it. Ill be real jelly if anyone actually has a lift at their house lol
Yep, I did my GT/PP yesterday using the $40 ramps from Walmart. The only hard thing was getting the filter out though the little access door without spilling oil! Next time I will put a plastic bag around it.

Not sure how people do it with jack stands? I saw some central spots where you could maybe place a floor jack but I wouldn't want to risk damaging something.. the only approved jacking points are the ones for changing a tire, there's no way to get the car onto stands using those unless you place the jack or stands somewhere else

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
Yep, I did my GT/PP yesterday using the $40 ramps from Walmart. The only hard thing was getting the filter out though the little access door without spilling oil! Next time I will put a plastic bag around it.

Not sure how people do it with jack stands? I saw some central spots where you could maybe place a floor jack but I wouldn't want to risk damaging something.. the only approved jacking points are the ones for changing a tire, there's no way to get the car onto stands using those unless you place the jack or stands somewhere else
The entire length of the pinch weld is actually really strong on these 15s, I usually place my floor jack a little to the side of the jacking point and place the jack stand on the correct spot. The pinch weld doesnt look like it gets any thinner on either side immediately after the proper jacking spot. On my new edge, if I tried jacking it up too far from the right spot, it would just crush and flatten the pinch weld...lol

On a side note, The 15s subframe seem to be very ridged..more than I expected. The first time I put the car on 4 stands, one of them was loose even though they were all set at the same height. When I pulled them all out, I measured them and found that one of the four was a little more than a 1/16" lower than the others. On my old 04 I guess the subframe just flexed and made up the difference because I never had that issue before. Just goes to show how ridged these cars are :)

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I prefer ramps when changing oil on most of my vehicles. Am about to do first oil change on my '15 GT and will use ramps. Hope there's a way to get to the filter without have to remove entire cover.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I prefer ramps when changing oil on most of my vehicles. Am about to do first oil change on my '15 GT and will use ramps. Hope there's a way to get to the filter without have to remove entire cover.
You have to remove the aerodynamic plastic shroud. It's easy.
Sponsored