Sponsored

Oil Change Question

Orange04svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought my 2016 Mustang GT PP on July 2, 2016. The car currently has 150 miles on the odometer. It's not that I think it's anything special or that I'm trying to preserve it. I just have not had time to drive it.

The car still has the oil/filter that was put in/on at the factory. I'm preparing the car to be parked for the winter. My question is, should I change the oil now, wait until spring rolls around and change it, or just leave the factory oil in?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It will be fine. No need to change oil before winter.
You car probably had been sitting at the factory lot for 3 months before you got it.
But one year only 150 miles? What do you mean you don't have time to drive it?
It's a Mustang, just drive it like any other cars unless you stay at home all the time.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The oil is fine, but if it were me, I would try to put the odometer at the 500 mile mark and do an oil change right before storage so that you can remove some of the metal pieces that may have accumulated due to manufacturing imperfections.

It's probably an unnecessary step with new cars, but I always go for an early first oil change.

Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I would change it after winter storage and not before. The assumption being you'll drive it "more" next year than you have up to now.

I think some folks are just getting hung up on the extreme low mileage. Your car isn't even broke in yet, and a lot of us feel you should "get your money's worth" out of driving the car at every opportunity. To each his own.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I bought my 2016 Mustang GT PP on July 2, 2016. The car currently has 150 miles on the odometer. ......I'm preparing the car to be parked for the winter.

I'll take your car, since you're not using it. Why don't you just drive it on sunny days? Seriously, sell the car to someone that will use and enjoy it. Hell, give it away.

OP
OP

Orange04svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought the car and then moved into a townhouse with a single car width driveway. Rather than parking it along the street or shuffling cars everyday, I chose to leave it in a garage at my parents.

I don't want to sell the car. Plus, I already have too much money in modifications.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
One thing to keep in mind is that even though you bought the car in July, the oil and filter are likely much older (potentially a year old already). I don't really trust oil and filters to sit more than a year.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Actually, the oil is supposed to be changed once a year if you drive less than 10k miles in a year. 10k/1yr whichever comes first so technically, you are overdue for an oil change and I am sure your oil life monitor should be telling you to do so.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I bought the car and then moved into a townhouse with a single car width driveway. Rather than parking it along the street or shuffling cars everyday, I chose to leave it in a garage at my parents.

I don't want to sell the car. Plus, I already have too much money in modifications.
If you don't drive it, why have it then?
What you can do is go rent a garage so you can switch cars once a week.

ronriv92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT California Special
Hey guys I just purchased a new 2017 Mustang GT/CS and I was wondering at what mileage should you change the oil and also what oil do you guys recommend me getting to get the best performance out of my engine.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
To the Op..I do my oil changes every 4-5,000 miles depending on how much of that is highway miles. After I first read your post I thought "heck the oil has hardly done its job, leave it in there" but if you think about it the oil has flowed around enough in there to bring the break-in contaminants to the filter. So I say give it an oil and filter change before putting away and all will be good to go come drive time.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Hey guys I just purchased a new 2017 Mustang GT/CS and I was wondering at what mileage should you change the oil and also what oil do you guys recommend me getting to get the best performance out of my engine.
For a brand new car, consider the build date and the total miles on the odometer. If you reach 1 year from the build date, regardless of how few miles are on the clock, I'd change the filter.

Otherwise, I'd change do the first oil change at 500-1000 miles, and a change every 4-5k miles after that.

For oil - anything that meets the manufacturers requirements. I'm guessing Ford is still putting Motorcraft oil/filters in these cars - nothing wrong with those parts. If Mobil 1 equivalents meet Ford spec, I'd probably go for that.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Otherwise, I'd change do the first oil change at 500-1000 miles, and a change every 4-5k miles after that.
Is there any specific reason for doing this? I have a new 17 GT/CS as well and I have between 3-4K on it and haven't changed the oil yet.
Sponsored