Brake Light Switch (near pedal) Failure

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Had an issue where my 2015 EB Premium seemed to be in limp mode, but no icon on the dash. Car would only accelerate to 40-50mph and wouldn't throw any codes.

Saw some other threads in regards to the stop light switch, but there are 2 pieces to the stop light switch. There is the switch (Blue/White/Gray) with a black plunger that installs into the brake pedal housing. There is a 2nd part that is a translucent/clear plastic disc that has a push pin on one side. This installs in front of the black plunger of the brake light switch.

I was thinking this was a speed sensor or ABS issue, but when I got the car home I noticed pieces of that disc on the floor mat eliminating the other issues.

Here is a picture of the white disc:
IMG-2995.jpg

Here is a picture where it installs:
IMG-2997.jpg

Does anybody have the part number for that white push pin/pad, or is it part of the brake light switch assembly/kit?
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Hope my thread/post helped :D

I didn’t know there was another piece that could fail :/

I don’t think it’s part of the switch I have a nice one still in packaging when I get home I’ll get a picture. If anything just go to the dealer the switch is only like $5-6 might be able to get the other price too if it’s not included. I suggest replacing the switch too mine didn’t make it to 40k miles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I made the filing this morning.

I am also reaching out to Ford Service about this, HUGE safety issue, and just terrible engineering of this part.

Update: Ford does not sell a brake light switch stop pad. It is part of the entire brake assembly and the dealer wanted over 200$ for the part. It also is an "A" revision part so it appears to not have been updated at all since the car was originally manufactured.

I went to O'Reilly's and found a kit of 2 pads for 8$ however, I am really struggling with getting them to fit as it's tight spaces and these parts aren't meant to fit this specific vehicle.

OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

The aftermarket brake pedal stop pad's found in the Dorman section of Advanced/O'Reilly's/etc. do not fit. I am having to result to the zip tie trick...

Also, I believe the pad broke but also the stop light switch itself was failed. I drove the car with the OEM switch and same result with the zip tie acting as a pad.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s good you made a claim with NHTSA, definitely safety related.

Can you post “after” pics of how you have temporarily made the zip tie work?

What is the purpose of the original pad, just a buffer between two parts? It’s hard to tell from the original pic posted.

OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the stop light switch has a plunger on it and it installs into the plastic bracket that encases the entire brake pedal assembly.

On the brake pedal arm itself there is an L shaped bracket that a plastic circular disk that has a 1/4 shank that clips into to. This provides a contact patch for stop light switch plunger to hit.

I threaded an outdoor rated nylon tie through the hole and secured it down. Without it the stop light plunger goes through the bracket not making contact with stop light plunger.

I tried to get a pic but it’s near impossible with the tight quarters.

This is not a permanent fix but the car is drivable.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the stop light switch has a plunger on it and it installs into the plastic bracket that encases the entire brake pedal assembly.

On the brake pedal arm itself there is an L shaped bracket that a plastic circular disk that has a 1/4 shank that clips into to. This provides a contact patch for stop light switch plunger to hit.

I threaded an outdoor rated nylon tie through the hole and secured it down. Without it the stop light plunger goes through the bracket not making contact with stop light plunger.

I tried to get a pic but it’s near impossible with the tight quarters.

This is not a permanent fix but the car is drivable.

Hmmmm... I literally just thought of something, but don’t have any idea if it will even work.... BUT....

In Home Depot, Lowe’s, or even like WalMart - ever see those adhesive backed felt discs that come in packages of 4-6-8? I think they’re used for placing under like chair legs, ends of canes/walkers, tables, etc. They come in all sorts of sizes. Do you think by taking one of those and placing it in the same location as the original disc it would hold (and work)?

I think there’s even the same or similar item that is plastic on one side instead of felt and still has the adhesive backing.

What do you think?

OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would work and actually considered it. However, the original pad was very brittle from the FL heat. Those pads would glue on or peel and stick.

I was worried about it the adhesive failing while I was driving and being in the same boat.

What I need is a 3D printer and copy the original...

Most frustrating thing is Ford probably has 17 boxes of 1000 in a warehouse somewhere lol

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I would log an NHTSA complaint about that too.

If the brake pedal switch is tied into other systems besides the brake light function, that is definitely a safety concern when it fails as the OP and other member has noted, (especially if the driver is out on the highway).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-light-switch-failure.112936/
Yeah, if a simple failure like this causes the engine to go into limp mode, seems to be a piss poor design logic.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn’t agree more and the icing on the cake is a 300$ part for a .05¢ piece of plastic...

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
It’s good you made a claim with NHTSA, definitely safety related.

Can you post “after” pics of how you have temporarily made the zip tie work?

What is the purpose of the original pad, just a buffer between two parts? It’s hard to tell from the original pic posted.

pad.JPG

In the same situation as well here. I had to rotate the zip tie so the nub was facing the switch plunger. A thicker zip tie may work better so as not to have to do that.

i did find something similar on Amazon, but hard to tell if it is the right size.

https://www.amazon.com/CUSHION-CLUT...GC5C616NYEN&psc=1&refRID=WVKVAGP6JGC5C616NYEN

OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used an outdoor rated one and the band is a bit thicker filling the hole (giggity) so the plunger doesn’t go through.

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
4FC73051-B585-44D0-8A6B-61A27B690900.jpeg

So I ordered the part from the link in my previous post and it just arrived from Thailand. It looks like it is the right size and is going to work.

The only problem I have is that my car is at the collision center getting repaired, and the broken pieces are in the glove box.

I had previously put the broken pieces back together to get a better idea of what I was looking for. So I am pretty confident this is it, but I won’t really know until I get her back, probably a few weeks out.

OP
OP

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have added this part to my amazon list, if you get the chance to try it please post your results. Then I’ll buy two, one to install and one to shove up the rear end of the engineer that wants me to spend $300 on a pedal to get it.
Sponsored