Bought abused GT?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ford engineers are some incredibly smart and hard working people. Much brighter and more capable than myself based on my personal experience.
LOL

My Son is a medically retired Marine, who when discharged went to engineering school. He works as an engine designer for Cummins.

He used to get pissed at me when I would say engineers can't find their ass from a hole in the ground, or I'd say engineers are the smartest stupid people I know. I spent almost 30 years working with many and having to re-engineer their mistakes after they left.

He now agrees with me. Some of the stories he tells me about the bone head things other engineers do makes me chuckle and say, told ya.
I can't imagine Ford has any better luck in hiring engineers. In fact I know it since I am one of the people who have to navigate their engineering.

Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of very talented and smart engineers. There just seems to be a glut of book smart idiots.

How many mechanical engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Five.
One to decide which way the bulb ought to turn, one to calculate the force required, one to design a tool with which to turn the bulb, one to design a comfortable – but functional – hand grip, and one to use all this equipment. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Ah yes the ford engineers that can’t make cam phasers work right in the 5.4 or the plugs that seize in the heads. Or the old 2v 5.4 that ejects the spark plug from the head into the hood. Or the recall on the new explorer st because it only has 1 bolt in the rear diff cover and guess what it breaks and the diff drops out. So some dumbass backyard engineer came up with a brace to support it better. Funny thing is that it used to have 2 bolts but they decided to delete 1. The list goes on and on…… Saying the aftermarket can’t improve or exceed fords engineering is ridiculous.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/2...-recalled-over-rear-axle-bolt-fracture-issue/
No automaker makes perfectly designed parts/cars. You act like engineers can sit back with unlimited budgets and R&D to produce the best designs. Then sell them to customers at affordable prices.

I am not going to sit here and say the aftermarket can`t product better products for our cars. But when my car has a failure they certainly are not forking the money for the repair. That`s why the Ford design and backed parts are the best.

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
LOL

My Son is a medically retired Marine, who when discharged went to engineering school. He works as an engine designer for Cummins.

He used to get pissed at me when I would say engineers can't find their ass from a hole in the ground, or I'd say engineers are the smartest stupid people I know. I spent almost 30 years working with many and having to re-engineer their mistakes after they left.

He now agrees with me. Some of the stories he tells me about the bone head things other engineers do makes me chuckle and say, told ya.
I can't imagine Ford has any better luck in hiring engineers. In fact I know it since I am one of the people who have to navigate their engineering.

Now don't get me wrong their are plenty of very talented and smart engineers. There just seems to be a glut of book smart idiots.

How many mechanical engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Five.
One to decide which way the bulb ought to turn, one to calculate the force required, one to design a tool with which to turn the bulb, one to design a comfortable – but functional – hand grip, and one to use all this equipment. :)
I know the Ford engineers who developed the 10 speed transmission, the Predator and Godzilla engines, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff that we take for granted. While we’re enjoying our holidays these folks work to finish projects. Ford pays a lot better and can be picky so, yes, they have better engineers. I have a ton of respect for them.

Like I said before, it’s easy to fix an obvious error in a design someone that else created from scratch. Especially when you have a lot of time to do it and don’t have to be bothered with concerns like management, systems engineering, and regulations. It’s much harder to create the design in the first place.

I don’t understand why people would tear down the people whose designs they are relying on. If they are so bad then people should find a different company or create their own products. The reality is that it’s very hard to engineer and manufacture anything period and even harder to do it well.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Interesting turn the thread has taken.

I think the lesson you should take away from this is do a shit ton of research before buying any car, used or new. And look at the car in person.

If I was buying another used mustang, using what I know now, I would need to talk to the previous owner, not just a dealership. Then I would completely inspect the car. I have done enough on these cars, give me 5 min and a jack and I can tell if the car is modified and if it wasn't put back together properly.

Modifications aren'y bad. What you don't want is a half ass attempt to return it to stock. If when you get it back you want to send me pictures, I will look at them and give you my opinion.

I am sure the issues you are seeing are from it being tuned, assuming the hardware is all good. Im sure the reset the dealership is doing will fix your current issue.

Personally I would ask them to do a full inspection, check exhaust, check intake (see if its been ported), and check injectors. If that is all good then the car should run fine.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I know the Ford engineers who developed the 10 speed transmission, the Predator and Godzilla engines, and a whole bunch of other cool stuff that we take for granted.
These are probably the hands on guys. Not the book smart "the computer says it will work, so it will work", people.

There is a reason some make it to places like the "skunk works" and others design rear IRS for Ford. Like, I mean how hard would it have been to use unequal length A arms? Would it have added cost to the car? I think not.

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
LOL

I'm not one myself but the only thing worse than an engineer is an architect :p

Engineers are *different* but fun to work with. They just require attention and backchecking.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
A cat below efficiency code doesn't have to be a bad cat or sensor. It can be several other things even on an unmodified car. Something as simple as an exhaust leak will trigger the same code. Or even the misfire you reported.
If you bought it from a Ford dealer you should come out ok in the end, though the journey might be rough.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The front bumper was replaced with a regular non pp bumper
The bumper is no different on the pp vs non-pp models. What makes you think that the bumper was replaced and re-painted to something other than OEM? Do you have any pictures.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I have a Ford dealership I use here, and I know the Salesman (just from always using him) and know the finance guy personally. I tell the Saleman what I'm looking for, and he watches until it shows. I buy them used but certified, and get the Ford bumper to bumper. So if someone ragged it for 10k to 20k miles, Im not really sweating it. Plus I drive them hard too, whats the point if you dont... Hope it all works out for you.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I get your points.

These are probably the hands on guys. Not the book smart "the computer says it will work, so it will work", people.
Without computer aided design and manufacturing cars wouldn't be what they are today.

There is a reason some make it to places like the "skunk works" and others design rear IRS for Ford. Like, I mean how hard would it have been to use unequal length A arms? Would it have added cost to the car? I think not.
Designing the A-arm suspension is not the hard part. Getting it to fit the platform is. Of all the alternative cars I considered, the Mustang still has the most usable trunk for a DD. I just don't see an A-arm suspension fitting there without impinging on the trunk.

Or, take the front end as another example. If you want to put on wider wheels, you're limited to about 10" max before running into a few fitment issues such as strut clearance, fender clearance, etc.

You know, an F1 car has about the same track width and wheelbase as our Mustangs. And their engineers obsess over every last millimeter of component size, location, clearance, etc, while always trying to minimize everything. Those cars have exotic suspensions, huge tires, etc. They also have tiny engines, fuel tanks, cockpits, et al.

My point is that there are many, many constraints to designing anything as complicated (or simple) as an automobile. Constraints such as cost, size, regulations, safety, ...

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I (and assume everyone else) certainly want this to turn out well for you. It’s just that some of us have had bad experiences with people hiding serious issues with their cars and then selling them to unsuspecting folks without sharing that knowledge. In common parlance, this is sometimes also known as getting screwed by a jerk.

Personally, I avoid any car that has been modified outside of Ford Performance, Roush, etc. Why? I don’t trust that Average Joe is a better engineer than the entire Ford engineering department. Plus, anytime you take a powertrain past the safety limits that the engineers put in place you are reducing its longevity.

If I was looking for a used performance car, I would avoid a dealership, spend as much time with the car as you can, have a mechanic look at it (if you aren’t), and buy from someone who is old enough to have the experience to know what they are doing and to have moved past the stage of beating up their stuff. I always see how they take care of their house, other cars, tools, etc. to see if I trust how they took care of the car. The most OCD, nerdy, uncool people can be the best people to buy cool cars from.

Just my experience and opinion. And you know what they say about opinions…
Yeah, that's me.

I traded my 2016 GT Premium for my 2019 GT Premium PP at a nice dealership in Kentucky. I returned it to stock first. (No engine mods.) The salesmen didn't even send the car back to the shop to inspect. I suggested he do that while I inspected the new car. My 2016 looked nearly new even with 27k original-owner miles.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My point is that there are many, many constraints to designing anything as complicated (or simple) as an automobile. Constraints such as cost, size, regulations, safety, ...
You must be an engineer, Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Like I stated earlier I've worked side by side with engineers for almost 30 years. I can count on one hand the competent ones.

One was hired to computerize a machine that took the sharp edge off a freshly cut 16 inch pipe. After he programmed it the operators said this won't work. Engineer said it will. Watched it ream several pipe smirked and left the plant. At 3:00 AM I called him and said get here the plant is shut down due to your machine doing what the operators said it would do. His answer "It can't do that" I said I'm watching it do it. Get here and fix it.

Another;

This is a chop saw with a 6 foot diameter blade. The company that made it also sent a containment enclosure. Well a blade exploded and some pieces went through the exit opening. So instead of designing a piece that was closer in size to the pipe diameter he redesigned the whole enclosure. Only didn't put a roof on it. I asked him what will keep pieces of the blade from going up? He said it could not happen. 6 months later a blade exploded and pieces went through the roof of the building and landed in a supermarket parking lot. At first the police thought it was part of a military jet.

That is 2 of about 500 issues I have had with engineers.

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Bro the amount of cars I saw in service was crazy and I only saw about 4 mechanics. But I got no other choice but to remain patient :)

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
The bumper is no different on the pp vs non-pp models. What makes you think that the bumper was replaced and re-painted to something other than OEM? Do you have any pictures.
I thought the pp1 came with a bigger front lip?? But I also saw paint inconsistencies, like really slight dripping near the vent areas, over spray, theres also deep areas where it seems the spray didn't reach. The left turn signal kinda just pops in and out if I want it to. Its kinda hard to notice at first.
E825D6E5-B3D8-4387-A7D6-BE4E234D8BCB.jpeg

3149E073-4FEC-4B1C-ABF2-F7AD9276D3FD.jpeg

like said hard to notice from far but definitely can tell from close. Forgot to mention the plastic skid plate at the bottom is missing.

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
So O2 sensors can go bad if you're not handling them carefully when taking them in and out if you shock or impact them they can go bad. A PCM can go bad if this guy had some stereo wiring and they shot a screw through a harness ... sure but I agree with the other person who said is tune related .

This exact reason is why i oy order a new not used performace car. did it with my last for the same reason. i wana be the first to get all up in her for the first time! i dont want sume guy with a huge.. um FOOT.... slammin her all the time before i show up lol.

I would go down there personally and have a nice conversation about the mods and what might be or not the stock about the car I feel real bad for you dude I'll be watching this thread keep us updated
Sponsored