Boost hose blew off.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
3,400 miles on car, 800 boosted. I went to the drag strip last night, and the car ran about 1.5 seconds slower than it should. Edit: Just a loose boost hose.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Eww. That stinks.

No solutions... but look forward to yours!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The cat temp is an inferred number that is calculated as a function of load, rpm, cam timing, lambda, and spark timing, at a minimum. The cat temp pid channel just tells you the result of this calculation, so if it seems high then one of the inputs above is making it that way.

Not sure if you subscribed to the thread on making cats live, but I’ve done a lot of testing and currently have thermocouples logging collector temp and mid-bed cat temp. I’ve found I can keep cat temp very much in control by using lambda, spark timing, and the oem cat protect functions.

Who did your tune and is COT still functional? If so, what does your lambda drop to in COT?

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The cat temp is an inferred number that is calculated as a function of load, rpm, cam timing, lambda, and spark timing, at a minimum. The cat temp pid channel just tells you the result of this calculation, so if it seems high then one of the inputs above is making it that way.

Not sure if you subscribed to the thread on making cats live, but I’ve done a lot of testing and currently have thermocouples logging collector temp and mid-bed cat temp. I’ve found I can keep cat temp very much in control by using lambda, spark timing, and the oem cat protect functions.

Who did your tune and is COT still functional? If so, what does your lambda drop to in COT?
My car is tuned by Lund, and COT should still be functional. I did datalog the last run, but didn't bring it with me to work. I can can send you numbers (or the log) tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Out of curiosity and seeing multiple posts on this site from forced induction users stating they've had catalytic converter meltdowns....

Why isn't anyone who is making high power with forced induction using catalytic converters like these:
https://www.brenspeed.com/cvm11k.html

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity and seeing multiple posts on this site from forced induction users stating they've had catalytic converter meltdowns....

Why isn't anyone who is making high power with forced induction using catalytic converters like these:
https://www.brenspeed.com/cvm11k.html
Seems like a really inexpensive solution. Anyone try these?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
$350 for two converters is super cheap and probably junk. I’m far from convinced that any aftermarket cat will be more durable than stock. Every aftermarket cat I’ve seen uses a metal substrate, vs ceramic stock. Ceramic can handle much higher temps than metal, but is susceptible to thermal shock.

After researching this and logging temp data, I believe the first method to protect the cats is through tuning. Various tuners have disabled cat protect, some delay it, and some reduce its span of control. All of these add power at the expense of cat life. Then when your cat melts they say, “what do you expect - it’s supercharged!” I’ve found I can keep the mid-bed temp below 1600 deg (actual not inferred) and damage doesn’t start until over 1680 or so. I’ve also found the temp sometimes peaks AFTER a WOT pull and cools down MUCH slower than the inferred temp says. This means making a second pull within a few minutes of an initial pull sends the cat temps to the moon and the temp model doesn’t even know it.

The next option, to me, would be to install gt500 or hellcat converters on the car. If you thought $350 a pair was expensive, look up the price on those bad boys…

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
@LSchicago FL doesn’t have testing so I’m not familiar with each state’s testing. How often do you have to test? What exactly are they testing and for (I know each state is different)? How mechanically inclined are you?

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
My state does emissions test, but it looks like I need a new solution
Our state typically does not perform visual inspections if there are no OBD red flags or offensive tailpipe odors.
Have you considered HJS or GESI newest metal substrate cats ? The price point is enough to choke a horse.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Forget the ET, what did your MPH do?

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
What did the car run? 60ft 1/4 mile and mph. What was the DA compared to last time you ran. If you ran in spring or fall then run in summer car will be slower period.

Has to be some kind of record. 3,500 miles on car, 800 boosted. I went to the drag strip last night, and the car ran about 1.5 seconds slower than it should. Cat temps were around 1200-1250 just cruising at 65-70. Once traffic stopped it was idling at about 840* instead of the usual 780* 1-2 seconds of acceleration and it shot above 1400*. My state does emissions test, but it looks like I need a new solution. Running a P1X on a 3.5" pulley.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
@LSchicago FL doesn’t have testing so I’m not familiar with each state’s testing. How often do you have to test? What exactly are they testing and for (I know each state is different)? How mechanically inclined are you?
Every 2 years in my state. I'm very mechanically inclined, but only do simple things these days. Under car stuff is usually done by a shop I trust.
Sponsored