BMS reset - no tools required

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
To me, I look at it like this. Battery dies and once that happens, the system gets drained of all power and stored energy. Thus the BCM should reset. I'll see what happens the next couple of years if I still have it by then and a battery is under 200 bucks.
My 19 has 1200 miles and has gone through two batteries before I did the reset. Now I will see how long this battery last compared to my last two in which I Did Not do the Reset.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great info, thanks guys. Well, not as good as Doug's info, but I thina
My 19 has 1200 miles and has gone through two batteries before I did the reset. Now I will see how long this battery last compared to my last two in which I Did Not do the Reset.
it's interesting and I wonder what the variables are on why one's batter lasts and one's doesn't. My '17 with 25K is rockin the original battery with no issues (knock on wood).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
it's interesting and I wonder what the variables are on why one's batter lasts and one's doesn't.
Stock batteries are small, and with all the electronics that never shut off completely they get depleted very quickly if the car is not driven for a long time. That's what kills batteries. They must never be allowed to drain past a certain point. If we now take into account that many Mustangs are exclusively driven in nice weather and stay parked for a big part of the year... there's your answer. :)
A good trickle charger is essential if the car isn't driven frequently. But there are all kinds of chargers, cheap or expensive, good or bad... This can make a difference, too.
I think most daily drivers should easily get at least five years out of the stock battery.

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Great info, thanks guys. Well, not as good as Doug's info, but I thina

it's interesting and I wonder what the variables are on why one's batter lasts and one's doesn't. My '17 with 25K is rockin the original battery with no issues (knock on wood).
The only thing I can think of is either my lack of driving (I keep my battery on a Battery Maintainer during long periods) or the 19s had something change in the BMS system. Dont know but does suck

roycemek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
UPDATE: Thank you, Alberto, for making me think. Since my battery only had 4 days in service, I thought this would be a safe experiment. I used the quick method, saw the battery icon flash, then checked the "days in service" using Forscan. IT WORKS! "Days in service" went from 4 to 0.
I just replaced my battery and I'm using Forscan and I did the BMS reset procedure. Can you tell me where in Forscan I can see the "Days in service" value? I'm a bit of a newb to Forscan.

Thanks,
Royce M

Sponsored

OP
OP
Farkel

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
I just replaced my battery and I'm using Forscan and I did the BMS reset procedure. Can you tell me where in Forscan I can see the "Days in service" value? I'm a bit of a newb to Forscan.

Thanks,
Royce M
From the FORScan forum:
"Navigating through the "READ PID DATA" icon, I was able to select BDYCM for body control module, from there I was able to navigate to "BATTERY AGE-VEHICLE BATTERY DAYS IN SERVICE" Then by clicking on the arrow for live data, I was then able to read days in service of the battery."

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Confirmed this works on my 2016 (4/2016) GT. Previous voltage during charging was 14.7-14.9V on my 3 year old battery. Installed new fully charged battery and voltage didn’t change. I then initiated the BMS reset and now charging voltage is 14.0-14.2V.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
This procedure works on both my 2015 Mustang and on my 2016 Explorer that just had a new battery installed, so it must be pretty universal for Ford products that include BMS.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
This procedure works on both my 2015 Mustang and on my 2016 Explorer that just had a new battery installed, so it must be pretty universal for Ford products that include BMS.
I think the manual also states if the car is locked more then 8 hours it will rest.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think the manual also states if the car is locked more then 8 hours it will rest.
I don’t believe it does the same thing. The BMS “RESET” procedure tells the BMS there’s a new battery installed so a new charge profile needs to be learned/set. 8-12 hour rest, tells the BMS the condition of the battery during a rest period.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
My OEM battery is 4 years old, unusual to last this long nowadays.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My OEM battery is 4 years old, unusual to last this long nowadays.
I believe it’s because these cars aren’t usually daily drivers much these days. Any vehicle I’ve owned that was/daily driven, the battery’s have lasted 6-8 years. As long as they’ve never been below 50% SOC.

My 2017 Corolla battery is original and still cranks even in cold northern winter like the day I bought it.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I believe it’s because these cars aren’t usually daily drivers much these days. Any vehicle I’ve owned that was/daily driven, the battery’s have lasted 6-8 years. As long as they’ve never been below 50% SOC.

My 2017 Corolla battery is original and still cranks even in cold northern winter like the day I bought it.
The average life of my daily driver's us around 4 years the the plates degenerate to a level where the cell is basically dead.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My factory battery finally shit on me literally one month shy of five years old. AntiGravity ATX-20-HD going in this weekend.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My factory battery finally shit on me literally one month shy of five years old. AntiGravity ATX-20-HD going in this weekend.
Why not the 30Ah?
Sponsored