Sponsored

Blame the Ford GT?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SO... a little tired of the current threads on here. Can we blame the Ford GT for why the GT500 missed the anniversary of the original GT500?
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think there could be more blame on the exec shuffle, especially from the FP side of things.

New CEO, Raj gone, Dave moved to Lincoln, Hameedi gone as well, etc.

That could certainly put a damper on things I imagine.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think there could be more blame on the exec shuffle, especially from the FP side of things.

EXACTLY my thoughts.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Don't forget the big layoffs and cuts coming at Ford....

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't forget the big layoffs and cuts coming at Ford....
If the layoffs happened in 2015-2017 I could see them delaying the GT500 from a 2018 release, but upcoming layoffs wouldn't impact it.

Not sure I would buy the exec shuffle being the cause unless an executive decided to reallocate resources away from Mustang.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If the layoffs happened in 2015-2017 I could see them delaying the GT500 from a 2018 release, but upcoming layoffs wouldn't impact it.
Unless cuts (not just layoffs) were in the cards much longer than anyone outside the company knew.....

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Ford has been to reactionary since the 2015 mustang launched. I think that it fell behind what they initially had wanted, for one reason or another due to budgeting. Then the Hellcat..ZL1...etc, etc happen and Ford has found themselves playing catch up.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
SO... a little tired of the current threads on here. Can we blame the Ford GT for why the GT500 missed the anniversary of the original GT500?
It is my understanding that Ford started producing the first GT500's in the Fall of 1966 and of course as a 1967 model therefore the 50th anniversary would for the GT500 would have been in 2016 as a 2017 model.

I can't understand how the new Ford GT could have caused the delay or cancellation of a 50th anniversary GT500 but never say never.

There is no doubt that production for the Ford GT at Multimatic Motorsports in Markham, Ontario has been very slow to say the least with them only being able to produce 1 car per day therefore a big backlog for some very impatient customers for this model as well.

With the order banks opening up in a few weeks again for the Ford GT it will be interesting to see how many allocations Ford comes up with on this last series of Ford GT's and when allocated cars actually get produced?

:)

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is my understanding that Ford started producing the first GT500's in the Fall of 1966 and of course as a 1967 model therefore the 50th anniversary would for the GT500 would have been in 2016 as a 2017 model.

I can't understand how the new Ford GT could have caused the delay or cancellation of a 50th anniversary GT500 but never say never.
Well I was thinking that there were a lot of gifted Ford employees working on getting the Ford GT design (both street and race car) ready for Multimatic to produce. What would those people have been working on if they weren't working on the Ford GT?

I always thought the GT500 came out in 1968, but I think even if it was 1967 the timing still works as I believe the engineering development time for a new car is several years.

IMO if Ford did delay the GT500 so that their top engineers could complete the Ford GT first - that was a good decision. I'm really glad that Ford decided to develop and build the Ford GT.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well I was thinking that there were a lot of gifted Ford employees working on getting the Ford GT design (both street and race car) ready for Multimatic to produce. What would those people have been working on if they weren't working on the Ford GT?

I always thought the GT500 came out in 1968, but I think even if it was 1967 the timing still works as I believe the engineering development time for a new car is several years.

IMO if Ford did delay the GT500 so that their top engineers could complete the Ford GT first - that was a good decision. I'm really glad that Ford decided to develop and build the Ford GT.
Agreed that there were some very gifted Ford personnel working on the Ford GT program but all of that group would have been formed and hand picked a couple of years ahead of regular production at Multimatic in Markham, Ontario and don't see any overlap between the two programs.

Once all of the R&D was completed the rest was up to Multimatic from an assembly standpoint and of course that has been a very slow process with only 1 car per day being assembled/completed and understand that is certainly not what Ford was expecting.

The first big block GT500 cars were assembled during the Fall of 1966 as 1967MY cars and came with 428 Police Interceptor engines with 2 four barrel carbs. When the '68 GT500's came out Ford went with only 1 four barrel carb on the 428 Police Interceptor engines and then half way through the year Ford launched their famous 428 Cobra Jet engines in the GT500KR's.

Like you I am very happy that Ford developed and built the Ford GT and sure wished that I was in a position to apply for an allocation in November for one of the last group of cars to be built.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Agreed that there were some very gifted Ford personnel working on the Ford GT program but all of that group would have been formed and hand picked a couple of years ahead of regular production at Multimatic in Markham, Ontario and don't see any overlap between the two programs.

Once all of the R&D was completed the rest was up to Multimatic from an assembly standpoint and of course that has been a very slow process with only 1 car per day being assembled/completed and understand that is certainly not what Ford was expecting.

The first big block GT500 cars were assembled during the Fall of 1966 as 1967MY cars and came with 428 Police Interceptor engines with 2 four barrel carbs. When the '68 GT500's came out Ford went with only 1 four barrel carb on the 428 Police Interceptor engines and then half way through the year Ford launched their famous 428 Cobra Jet engines in the GT500KR's.

Like you I am very happy that Ford developed and built the Ford GT and sure wished that I was in a position to apply for an allocation in November for one of the last group of cars to be built.

Being the old fart that I am I just wanted to point out that I thought there were a few, and I mean less than a handful of 1967 GT500s that were initially equipped with Fords 427 sideoiler FE prior to switching over to the 428PI and then the 428CJ, if I'm not mistaken. Anybody else remember that?

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Do you mean no overlap in timing or no overlap in personnel? Since the GT was announced in 2015 to be ready to race in 2016 and you are saying Ford would have wanted to sell an anniversary GT500 in 2016 as a 2017 model I would think at least the time frame would have to overlap to some degree - unless one program or the other was kept very short.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
At the same time the GT was being designed and built, so to was the 350 and I believe the raptor.

Ford doesn’t necessarily assign teams, each projects has its managers and leads, but so do the drivetrain departments etc. The 3.5 EcoBoost(s) and the voodoo were being overseen by the drivetrain leads/managers for sure. Therefore not one project took from the other per se.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Do you mean no overlap in timing or no overlap in personnel? Since the GT was announced in 2015 to be ready to race in 2016 and you are saying Ford would have wanted to sell an anniversary GT500 in 2016 as a 2017 model I would think at least the time frame would have to overlap to some degree - unless one program or the other was kept very short.
As you mentioned there would have been some overlap of personnel and timing between both programs had Ford launched a 50th Anniversary GT500 in 2016 as a 2017 model just as they did with the 137 GT350 cars that were launched in July 2015 as the 50th Anniversary for the small block GT350 cars.

Since the GT500 is such an iconic car at Ford I was somewhat shocked that they did not launch a 2017 model in 2016 for their 50th anniversary of the big block Shelby but probably just too many important programs going on the same time and just ran out of time and resources.
Sponsored