Sponsored

Ford almost got the gt500 right!

oduli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x5 4.6is, CTS Coupe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2018 BMW M3 F80
I can look past the no manual option, at least at launch... but who at ford decided to put a knob for a changing from Park, Reverse, neutral and Drive...

now imagine you pull up to your favorite coffee joint and a parking spot between two cars opens up. You pull up next to the car upfront, and now turn the knob to reverse, give it a little gas, bam turn knob to Drive now and turn the wheel, hit the gas, brake turn wheel and turn knob to reverse etc.. etc.. etc.. I am getting nauseous just thinking of this event happening.

I just cannot look past this imperfection. I will be patiently waiting for a manual, and If its confirmed 100% that there will not be a manual, sorry ford I shall be looking elsewhere.
20190114_232623.jpg
20190114_232623.jpg
Sponsored

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I wont judge the knob before I use it. I have no doubt the Ford engineers have designed the ultimate GT500. Most predictions were right about what the GT500 was going to be like. The front end is unique and looks advanced and not dated at all.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Having had a 2014 RAM with the knob I can tell you it works fantastic and I loved it.

Never had any issues.

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am actually the opposite. The dial seems perfect, no reason to clutter the console. And i have never had a dial. Now what i cannot comment on is the use of shifting with shifter vs paddles on an automatic. I have a car with both and i do NOT use either, the whole reason I want an automatic, and the whole reason I want an Auto/DCT. I am happy with the dial.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If that larger phone holding space becomes a wireless charging pad, I'm sold :p

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Have a Chrysler Pacifica van with the rotary shifter, and it is very good. Also drove a Fusion Hybrid with that knob and it worked very well.

I don't really see a problem with a traditional shift stalk either, but the knob actually works quite well.

I do wish there was a manual, but certainly the DCT will help with straight line performance and launches.

-T

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
It looks like the same knob that is in my FIL's Focus...

Sponsored

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
I have a 2018 Expedition (wifes car / family hauler) and it has the knob... I actually really like it. I also have an F80 M3 with a DCT. To put it in park... you actually have to turn the car off... or have to treat it like a manual and put it in neutral and pull the hand brake - interesting to see how the new transmission will function with a "park" option.

RogueCow27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Do you always review things before having any experience with them? Basically just as useful as an amazon review that says "This is the best item I've ever purchased, can't wait until it comes in the mail"

I hope, for your sake, you give the new DCT a chance, as you will be missing out if you don't.
I see no reason why Ford would have chosen to put a large intrusive shifter in place when it is no longer required.

As well, high horsepower manuals are not easy to live with on a day to day basis. If Ford could only have one transmission,
i'm glad they went with the DCT; it is probably very livable in normal mode for daily driving, and a beast when you want/need it to be.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I think they got it just right :like:

Manuals are nice and I hope you get your option, but a dual clutch transmission is also very nice. You're still controlling the shifts, but with paddles instead of a clutch/lever Glad to see them getting into the modern era

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Rotary shifters are more and more common, especially on Fords. Most automakers make certain switchgear common across models. I see nothing wrong with using that as a mode selector. Saves space and is a different way of doing things. Win win to me.