Sponsored

Bilstein B6: Which springs? Progressive? Linear?

Liam O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue Mustang GT Shadow Edition
Hi All,

Currently only suspension mods I have on the car is the Steeda IRS Base pack, however I am looking to get some springs and shocks to hopefully remedy the lack of precision from the front and the floaty back end. However, I do not want it to be harsh or jarring. I have a Fiesta ST for that 🤣
Having to deal with shocking UK roads means I'm not after coil overs or a track oriented setup, given potholes round here are comparable to the grand canyon 😂

I'd be looking at getting B6's as they are more readily available over here than the Ford Track kit and from research on here it seems that a spring rate of 200lb/in front and 800lb/in rear seems to be the sweet spot for handling whilst maintaining some form of comfort.

From research point towards the following springs:
Steeda Min Drop Linear
Steeda Ultralite Linear
Steeda Progressive
Eibach Pro (not too sure on spring rates for these)

BMR would be a consideration but not many places stock them this side of the pond unfortunately.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the above springs with B6's? I see that linear springs and B6's seem quite common but haven't seen many progressive B6's setups so would be interested to hear what that is like.

Thanks
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
200 up to 250 front. Frankly leave the rears unmolested unless the front spring choice is going to put too much rake in the setup.

Stay away from eibach - way too much drop. Linear is almost always preferable to progressive

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Ford track kit is about 240# up front. Rear is a dual rate. About 600-915 for the min and max rate portions. Eibach Prokit is 200/800.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
200 up to 250 front. Frankly leave the rears unmolested unless the front spring choice is going to put too much rake in the setup.

Stay away from eibach - way too much drop. Linear is almost always preferable to progressive
The Eibach Sportlines have the huge drop. Those are ones I'd avoid at all costs. The Prokit is about 1" drop which is fine.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
IMO, the car wants at least 350 lb springs up front. Others have said the car rides really nice at 400 lbs up front. But that requires a coil over conversion like AJ Hartman offers, no one makes a spring at that rate I am aware of. Not sure if you are on MR or not, but that would change suggestions, you could arguable tune your DSC if you are MR.

The rear, the FP springs have been really good. Some folks like the Steeda, some don't. I am not a big fan of that much spring rate in the rear that Steeda offers.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Potholes? I'd go 200 up front and leave the rear stock. B6's are perfect for this combo. The 800 Lb rear is kinda harsh

B6's front and rear. Linear springs. I like the steeda min drop up front.

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Hi All,

Currently only suspension mods I have on the car is the Steeda IRS Base pack, however I am looking to get some springs and shocks to hopefully remedy the lack of precision from the front and the floaty back end. However, I do not want it to be harsh or jarring. I have a Fiesta ST for that 🤣
Having to deal with shocking UK roads means I'm not after coil overs or a track oriented setup, given potholes round here are comparable to the grand canyon 😂

I'd be looking at getting B6's as they are more readily available over here than the Ford Track kit and from research on here it seems that a spring rate of 200lb/in front and 800lb/in rear seems to be the sweet spot for handling whilst maintaining some form of comfort.

Steeda Min Drop Linear
Steeda Ultralite Linear
Steeda Progressive

BMR would be a consideration but not many places stock them this side of the pond unfortunately.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the above springs with B6's? I see that linear springs and B6's seem quite common but haven't seen many progressive B6's setups so would be interested to hear what that is like.

Thanks
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/spring-rates-drops-all-in-one-thread.44925/
I'd recommend using this post and this sheet to help you decide. I'm in Michigan and have been having the same issue trying to identify what I need (I'm pretty much leaning on the Ford Performance Track Shock and Strut kit). In then end I think I'm probably going to go with the BMR handling kit up front and the performance lowering in the rear.

I think for ease of use I would probably stick with linear springs as the B6's are non adjustable, but that's just me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, the car wants at least 350 lb springs up front. Others have said the car rides really nice at 400 lbs up front
Maybe so but the B6 is not valved for that.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Hi All,

Steeda Min Drop Linear
Steeda Ultralite Linear
Steeda Progressive

Thanks
Ford performance touring softer or track 1” drop springs. Either would be better than stock and sublime with the B6 shocks and struts. Very controlled, removes the float feeling 100% and rides right between that track capable yet in city comfortable yet sporty and tight ride. I had that combo on my 2016 and it was again, sublime.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I swapped in B6's with Steeda minimum drop springs, love how it rides. See sig for other mods...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
That answers the MR question.
I agree with shogun32 on this one. Ideally one needs better dampers for that. With only a tiny bit of experience with a stiff front spring and a softer rear, it really gives you more confidence - The extra stability it gives to the front end.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bad roads? I would do the minimum drop, 1" is a lot of suspension travel to lose.

GT350 springs were a great suggestion. stock ride height and not too much rates.

The shocks are probably going to do most of the work in solving your issues.
Sponsored