Beware of Lund

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Everyone uses "canned" tunes. They take successful tunes from a previous setup and start from there. The "problem" arises when there's a pervasive attitude that if it worked on one car, then it should and will work perfectly on another car with the same or similar setup. To make matters worse, that actually holds true a good majority of the time.

Much of this entire thread centers around the idea that you could and probably would be just fine (with any tuner). It's how they treat you and what they do when things don't go as perfectly planned.

I always get a kick out of car enthusiast community debates where one person says "my ass exploded, don't eat THIS" and someone else says "I've been eating THIS for 10 years and my ass is just fine."

Just because you are fortunate doesn't yield incontrovertible proof that something isn't problematic or failure prone or an issue. It's like saying "I've been bare backing random hookers from the bars and strip clubs for years and I've never gotten HIV" when someone suggests using condoms.

The other thing I've noticed over the years is what I call the "marketing" aspect of builders, tuners, etc. MMR developed a bad rep and while I think a lot of that was just internet myth perpetuated, they definitely earned some of it. They're responses were always "we've built motors that have gone x.xx seconds at yyy mph." Well, yeah, on YOUR race cars, I'm sure you take the requisite time and care to get it right. On the mass production stuff you pump out to consumer nobodies, does that actually happen? So just because a tuner happens to be involved with high level or well known cars and performances, doesn't mean that YOU are going to get the same level of care/service.

To summarize, there's nothing wrong with using previous tune files and versions (aka "canned") the problem arises when there's a resistance to the idea that it's tune related issues (and you spending time, money and frustration chasing down ghost mechanical problems).

If you want a custom experience, go with a CUSTOM tuner. If you're comfortable rolling the dice on the odds that 99% of the time you'll be just fine, go with a ginormous tuner who treats you like a number and an invoice. But if you're that 1% of people who have issues, best of luck.

There are simply way too many competent tuners out there to be treated like a Comcast customer. Choose accordingly.
Well said but now I'm worried my ass might explode! 🤯
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What really makes me scratch my head about Lund is the way he treated Terry @beefcake. I mean this dude sent so much business his way he should have bent over backwards to make Terry's car right. But he treated Terry the same way he treats us peasants.

This plus personal past experience, along with the douche bag on YT and no way would I ever give Lund any money.

YMMV
I agree, treating Terry this way is the craziest part of Lunds recent issues. I've never had a bad experiences with them. In fact, it's all been really positive but between that and everyone's favorite bobble head on YouTube, I worry I may become the next statistic of "its mechanical" as I dive deeper down the HP rabbit hole this year....

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I agree, treating Terry this way is the craziest part of Lunds recent issues. I've never had a bad experiences with them. In fact, it's all been really positive but between that and everyone's favorite bobble head on YouTube, I worry I may become the next statistic of "its mechanical" as I dive deeper down the HP rabbit hole this year....
I ran into both issues with Lund.

Ordered a flex and E85 Race (and they threw in the ghost cam) tune. Ran the flex for a couple of months and decided to flash/run the E85 race tune. Car started going into limp mode randomly. Swapped out MAF sensor and went looking for all sorts of gremlins. Finally just reloaded the Flex tune and it went away. You draw your own conclusions.

Then as I planned my blower setup/build, I reached out to them about ultimately providing a break in and final tune and was told they wouldn't tune it if I didn't run the fuel setup of their choice. That's when we parted ways. I have the infamous 150mm Throttle body. Couple weeks ago I spent an entire afternoon with my tuner getting the idle acceptable. My tuner is local and doesn't have the name/reputation of the big boys, but I get personalized service and he actually remembers me and my car/setup.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
How is your 11 second car running?
You hate on most tuners and act like they suck. Somehow we've never seen a timeslip/video of your car running anything impressive.
M-kay, LOL. Only vid I have. Me LOSING.
This is where my clutch protection was kicking in like crazy especially on the 1-2.
Timeslips well dunno where I put those. Guess I should buy a baby book and put em
in there LOL. Ron runs high 10.60's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Genuinely curious, if the canned tune has been vetted to where it works, What's wrong with that? They make adjustments when needed, don't they?

I'm not defending Lund, but if they have tunes that work with specific setups and applied thousands of times, why would that be bad? You are no longer the guinea pig.

I'm asking seriously to know.
I had a CAI+Headers tune in my 6r80 car from Lund a couple years ago. Flores was the tuner. When coasting to a stop my Trans would upshift then downshift repeat. Sort of like Jake braking in an out in an out. I could never figure out if it was gonna slow down or speed up when say, coming to a stop sign.
After 3 revisions Alex said it was my Trans in my 10,000 mile car.
Went to VMP. 1 revision and car was running and shifting perfect.
So no they didn't make adjustments when needed. Also their tune that worked on 'thousands' didn't work on mine. They gave up and blamed it on mechanical issues which was proven false.

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
The only thing I know is that there is only one tuner with the most tunes out in public. Lund Racing has been around the block more than once.

There is one Mustang running a factory ECU that went 6s - Lund tune
Quickest and fastest 6R80 on a Ford ECU - Lund tune
Go to a racing event, for the fastest mustangs on property with a Ford ECU, I'll bet most if not all will be Lund tuned.

Some people may have bad experiences. Happens anywhere. I cannot understand this incestuous obsession by those that seemingly foam at the mouth for the next opportunity to talk shit on Lund. I guess being on top comes with targets from the peanut gallery.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
its more from all the condescension and complete dismissal when people have legitimate issues, and then bashing them all line in their support groups, and with their youtube loudmouth.

the i'm better than you attitude as well.

again, i had complaints for years and dismissed it as dumb smart guys that can't talk to people. but after dealing with my issues for 8 months and the way i was talked to and treated after forking over 1 million..... i had enough, and refuse to subject anyone else to the treatment

The only thing I know is that there is only one tuner with the most tunes out in public. Lund Racing has been around the block more than once.

Go to a racing event, for the fastest mustangs on property with a Ford ECU, I'll bet most if not all will be Lund tuned.

Some people may have bad experiences. Happens anywhere. I cannot understand this incestuous obsession by those that seemingly foam at the mouth for the next opportunity to talk shit on Lund. I guess being on top comes with targets from the peanut gallery.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

That’s great, except who cares who has the fastest vehicles with their tunes when their customer service with us normal folks is garbage.
What I can’t understand is why you feel the need to insult people who have something negative to say by calling people “insestuous” and “peanut gallery”.
I mean you coulda just said “I hang from Lund’s sack” and gotten the same point across.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
M-kay, LOL. Only vid I have. Me LOSING.
This is where my clutch protection was kicking in like crazy especially on the 1-2.
Timeslips well dunno where I put those. Guess I should buy a baby book and put em
in there LOL. Ron runs high 10.60's.
What are your mods?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What are your mods?
Basic bo-bo stuff. 2020 intake manifold / PMAS 120mm hot air intake / FFE / h-pipe / 3.73 gears / SLP loudmouth II axle-backs / Diablosport 91 octane tune.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Pretty nice for those mods. What are your 1/4 mile trap speeds.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score