Sponsored

Beware of Lund

Crowd.Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Genuinely curious, if the canned tune has been vetted to where it works, What's wrong with that? They make adjustments when needed, don't they?

I'm not defending Lund, but if they have tunes that work with specific setups and applied thousands of times, why would that be bad? You are no longer the guinea pig.

I'm asking seriously to know.
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Itā€™s easy to be satisfied with a service when all they do is email you one canned tune after another until you are satisfied.
What do you think the other big names do?

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Genuinely curious, if the canned tune has been vetted to where it works, What's wrong with that? They make adjustments when needed, don't they?

I'm not defending Lund, but if they have tunes that work with specific setups and applied thousands of times, why would that be bad? You are no longer the guinea pig.

Some people think a tuner should start from scratch with a stock base file for every car they tune. They probably assume a CNC machinist is going to rewrite the program for every individual part they run in the machine.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

Nothing wrong with it. Pointing out a fact that thereā€™s not much involved with customer service with canned tunes. They now have so many data points that it takes almost no work to dial in all the common mods people use. The real work comes when people are doing a new build theyā€™ve never messed with before or donā€™t have a lot of baselines for.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
LOL. They can't even get a IMRC delete to run right, hence they want you to use VMP pigtails, and even then it's a crap shoot.

Then you say "well their Fi tunes work good". Sure. Cause their tweaked Roush tunes. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

As for auto-trans 'flair' and changes shift points to a lower RPM, again demonstrates their 'cookie cutter tune' status. One tune doesn't fit all. What actually happening is they slip the phuk outta the clutches via varying line pressure to try and get it to shift where they want. Might work great on one car, but if the same is applied to another thats sasy a couple hundred pounds heavier, not so much. Then out comes the 'hack'. Again, crap shoot. Sooner rather than later when yer trans goes boom... it's YOUR FAULT. Never theirs. Look it up, it's LUND tuned transmissions that always pop.

So yah, if you want inconsistency go LUND. IF you want the slowest NA car on the planet, GO LUND. Unless of course you're willing to pay BIG BUCKS for custom dyno sessions. No opinion with FI as I never had the oppertuniy to be in a FI car that was lund tuned. But I did read @beefcake detailed thread on his car. ;)
How is your 11 second car running?
You hate on most tuners and act like they suck. Somehow we've never seen a timeslip/video of your car running anything impressive.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Lund e85 tune here. They have always been responsive, even checking in on how things were going after the transition to the e85 tune. Car has no driveability issues and runs strong with minimal mods. No complaints here.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone know whether torque management plays a huge role in helping a manual GT run quicker or slower, depending on how itā€™s dialed in?

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
LOL. They can't even get a IMRC delete to run right, hence they want you to use VMP pigtails, and even then it's a crap shoot.

Then you say "well their Fi tunes work good". Sure. Cause their tweaked Roush tunes. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

As for auto-trans 'flair' and changes shift points to a lower RPM, again demonstrates their 'cookie cutter tune' status. One tune doesn't fit all. What actually happening is they slip the phuk outta the clutches via varying line pressure to try and get it to shift where they want. Might work great on one car, but if the same is applied to another thats sasy a couple hundred pounds heavier, not so much. Then out comes the 'hack'. Again, crap shoot. Sooner rather than later when yer trans goes boom... it's YOUR FAULT. Never theirs. Look it up, it's LUND tuned transmissions that always pop.

So yah, if you want inconsistency go LUND. IF you want the slowest NA car on the planet, GO LUND. Unless of course you're willing to pay BIG BUCKS for custom dyno sessions. No opinion with FI as I never had the oppertuniy to be in a FI car that was lund tuned. But I did read @beefcake detailed thread on his car. ;)
Yawn. Wildhorse I saw you over and over again on Alex's chats for the longest time. Then all the sudden you weren't getting attention on the livestreams so now you become the squeaky wheel...

Brandon91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Lund tune here ever since I got my Procharger. Car ran great till my OPG decided to let go less than 15k miles and right after I installed a fore fuel system, and I never hit red line once or even did a burn out in the car. I got a brand new long block from Levittown Ford and did OPG and CS. I sent them logs and everything was good. Car made 760whp and 596wtq with a P1x on a 4.25 pulley (6 gear pull)Transmission felt great and loved the fact it would hold a gear til 2000rpms with light throttle input and it wouldnā€™t skip all over the place. They had my 93 tune done in one day and my e85 done the next day. They have answered all of my questions and never have given me a reason to switch.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Does anyone know whether torque management plays a huge role in helping a manual GT run quicker or slower, depending on how itā€™s dialed in?
Yes, it's night and day when torque management intervenes or not on a manual car. And if you drive it in a way it doesn't like there's also "clutch protection" which is like the ultimate final boss of torque management. Not entirely sure what triggers that though.

My car seems to make an unusual amount of torque for being stock, and it seems pretty easy for me to trip the limiters depending how I drive it. Makes me want to tune it, lol. Even the Ford performance tune softens the limiters a little bit, so I can't imagine what the aftermarket tuners do. Hopefully they just turn all that stuff way up to where it's not even a factor.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Everyone uses "canned" tunes. They take successful tunes from a previous setup and start from there. The "problem" arises when there's a pervasive attitude that if it worked on one car, then it should and will work perfectly on another car with the same or similar setup. To make matters worse, that actually holds true a good majority of the time.

Much of this entire thread centers around the idea that you could and probably would be just fine (with any tuner). It's how they treat you and what they do when things don't go as perfectly planned.

I always get a kick out of car enthusiast community debates where one person says "my ass exploded, don't eat THIS" and someone else says "I've been eating THIS for 10 years and my ass is just fine."

Just because you are fortunate doesn't yield incontrovertible proof that something isn't problematic or failure prone or an issue. It's like saying "I've been bare backing random hookers from the bars and strip clubs for years and I've never gotten HIV" when someone suggests using condoms.

The other thing I've noticed over the years is what I call the "marketing" aspect of builders, tuners, etc. MMR developed a bad rep and while I think a lot of that was just internet myth perpetuated, they definitely earned some of it. They're responses were always "we've built motors that have gone x.xx seconds at yyy mph." Well, yeah, on YOUR race cars, I'm sure you take the requisite time and care to get it right. On the mass production stuff you pump out to consumer nobodies, does that actually happen? So just because a tuner happens to be involved with high level or well known cars and performances, doesn't mean that YOU are going to get the same level of care/service.

To summarize, there's nothing wrong with using previous tune files and versions (aka "canned") the problem arises when there's a resistance to the idea that it's tune related issues (and you spending time, money and frustration chasing down ghost mechanical problems).

If you want a custom experience, go with a CUSTOM tuner. If you're comfortable rolling the dice on the odds that 99% of the time you'll be just fine, go with a ginormous tuner who treats you like a number and an invoice. But if you're that 1% of people who have issues, best of luck.

There are simply way too many competent tuners out there to be treated like a Comcast customer. Choose accordingly.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What really makes me scratch my head about Lund is the way he treated Terry @beefcake. I mean this dude sent so much business his way he should have bent over backwards to make Terry's car right. But he treated Terry the same way he treats us peasants.

This plus personal past experience, along with the douche bag on YT and no way would I ever give Lund any money.

YMMV
Sponsored